Santana - Abraxas Japanese Quad SACD Officially Announced (October 28, 2020)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope that these aren't in that new 7" SACD packaging like the mini album 52 Street that DOESN'T fit on my shelf. I only have so much room on top.

From Yahoo News Japan (translated to English):

1600888947776.png

Santana <50th Anniversary 2nd>, "Abraxas of Heaven-SA-CD Multi Hybrid Edition", which is said to be the best masterpiece, will be released

Santana's first 1970 years of the second album that won the US album chart first place " heaven of the Guardian " (original title: Abraxas) to celebrate the launch 50th anniversary of, the world's first appearance SA-CD multi-hybrid board is 10 It has been decided that it will be released on Wednesday, 28th of March. Following "Santana-SA-CD Multi-Hybrid Edition-" released today (23rd), it will be the second in the 50th anniversary series of the world's coveted Santana fans.

This is a great best-selling album that has been described as a masterpiece throughout Santana's career, and has sold more than 10 million copies worldwide. The single-cut Fleetwood Mac cover "Black Magic Woman" was known as the song that ignited Santana's popularity in Japan as well as hitting No. 4 on the US single chart, "Santana = It became one of the most symbolic songs of "Latin Rock". In addition, "Listen to my rhythm" by Tito Puente, a Latin Latin tycoon (original title: Oye Como Va), and the beautiful guitar instrumental ballad "Samba Pa Ti" (original title: Samba). Early representative songs such as Pa Ti) are recorded. Two years after the release of this original stereo board, the 4ch surround mix = quadraphonic appeared in 1972.It is a board. At that time, the Japanese version was also released, but after the transition to the CD in the 1980s, it was the only one released overseas in the DTS format in the early '00s (currently out of print), and the SA-CD has become multi-channel. This is the first time in the world. Similar to "Santana SA-CD Multi Hybrid Edition", this edition also performs DSD mastering of the original 4ch mix master sound source at Sony Music Studios in Japan for the first time in the world, and also plays SA-CD 2ch and CD. It is a possible hybrid disc specification. Both SA-CD 2ch and CD layer are the latest remastered discs from the original 2ch mix master sound source, but the biggest listening point is SA-CD 4ch. Carlos Santana 's guitar and Gregg Rolie. You can enjoy a soundscape that is different from the stereo mix, such as the keyboard circling around the four speakers and various rhythm instruments ringing lively from all directions so as to surround the listener. In addition, the other take that does not exist in the stereo mix and the vivid shout of the members remaining on the master tape are adopted as they are in some places, which makes us feel the rarity of this quadraphonic mix. The package is a 7-inch paper jacket that is an elaborate resize of the Japanese version of Quadraphonic LP, and the poster that was enclosed in the Japanese version analog single jacket and original LP at that time is reproduced.

"Abraxas-SA-CD Multi-Hybrid Edition" Released on Wednesday, October 28, 2020
SICP 10135
¥ 4,500 + tax Limited Edition / Japan Original Edition

Songs
1. Singing Winds, Crying Beasts
2. Black Magic Woman / Gypsy Queen
3. Oye Como Va
4. Incident at Neshabur
5. Se A Cabo
6. Mother's Daughter
7. Samba Pa Ti
8. Hope You're Feeling Better
9. El Nicoya

Judging from the promo image, it looks like the package will include all the original Japanese 45rpm single covers, including the Black Magic Woman/Everybody's Everything SQ single, along with the original album poster and the usual SQ ephemera.

From Yahoo News Japan (translated to English):

View attachment 56721

Santana <50th Anniversary 2nd>, "Abraxas of Heaven-SA-CD Multi Hybrid Edition", which is said to be the best masterpiece, will be released

Santana's first 1970 years of the second album that won the US album chart first place " heaven of the Guardian " (original title: Abraxas) to celebrate the launch 50th anniversary of, the world's first appearance SA-CD multi-hybrid board is 10 It has been decided that it will be released on Wednesday, 28th of March. Following "Santana-SA-CD Multi-Hybrid Edition-" released today (23rd), it will be the second in the 50th anniversary series of the world's coveted Santana fans.

This is a great best-selling album that has been described as a masterpiece throughout Santana's career, and has sold more than 10 million copies worldwide. The single-cut Fleetwood Mac cover "Black Magic Woman" was known as the song that ignited Santana's popularity in Japan as well as hitting No. 4 on the US single chart, "Santana = It became one of the most symbolic songs of "Latin Rock". In addition, "Listen to my rhythm" by Tito Puente, a Latin Latin tycoon (original title: Oye Como Va), and the beautiful guitar instrumental ballad "Samba Pa Ti" (original title: Samba). Early representative songs such as Pa Ti) are recorded. Two years after the release of this original stereo board, the 4ch surround mix = quadraphonic appeared in 1972.It is a board. At that time, the Japanese version was also released, but after the transition to the CD in the 1980s, it was the only one released overseas in the DTS format in the early '00s (currently out of print), and the SA-CD has become multi-channel. This is the first time in the world. Similar to "Santana SA-CD Multi Hybrid Edition", this edition also performs DSD mastering of the original 4ch mix master sound source at Sony Music Studios in Japan for the first time in the world, and also plays SA-CD 2ch and CD. It is a possible hybrid disc specification. Both SA-CD 2ch and CD layer are the latest remastered discs from the original 2ch mix master sound source, but the biggest listening point is SA-CD 4ch. Carlos Santana 's guitar and Gregg Rolie. You can enjoy a soundscape that is different from the stereo mix, such as the keyboard circling around the four speakers and various rhythm instruments ringing lively from all directions so as to surround the listener. In addition, the other take that does not exist in the stereo mix and the vivid shout of the members remaining on the master tape are adopted as they are in some places, which makes us feel the rarity of this quadraphonic mix. The package is a 7-inch paper jacket that is an elaborate resize of the Japanese version of Quadraphonic LP, and the poster that was enclosed in the Japanese version analog single jacket and original LP at that time is reproduced.

"Abraxas-SA-CD Multi-Hybrid Edition" Released on Wednesday, October 28, 2020
SICP 10135
¥ 4,500 + tax Limited Edition / Japan Original Edition

Songs
1. Singing Winds, Crying Beasts
2. Black Magic Woman / Gypsy Queen
3. Oye Como Va
4. Incident at Neshabur
5. Se A Cabo
6. Mother's Daughter
7. Samba Pa Ti
8. Hope You're Feeling Better
9. El Nicoya

Judging from the promo image, it looks like the package will include all the original Japanese 45rpm single covers, including the Black Magic Woman/Everybody's Everything SQ single, along with the original album poster and the usual SQ ephemera.
I hope that's a typo Dave, it said 28th March in your first paragraph???

Yeah, it's just a mis-translation, it's definitely October 28th - I'll update the thread title to reflect the announced street date.

Err, I mean it was a test to see if anyone was paying attention to the things I share, and congratulations you win a gold star! 😁

And a bit more detail from this listing:

[Characteristics of SA-CD multi-hybrid edition] 
● [SA-CD 4ch] The analog 4ch mix master sound source of the quadraphonic album released in 1972 is now in Sony Music Studio in Japan First DSD mastering
● [SA-CD 2ch / CD] Both SA-CD and CD are newly mastered from analog 2ch mix master
● 7-inch paper jacket that first reproduces the artwork of the Japanese version original quadraphonic LP
● Reproduction of the original US quadraphonic gold label
● Reprinted Japanese single jackets of “Black Magic Woman”, “Oye Como Va” and “Samba Pa Ti”
● Inner sleeve printed with Japanese version of quadraphonic
● Original Resized LP-enclosed poster
● Japanese edition original quadraphonic LP first edition obi reprint
● Nostalgic 1970 original liner notes, 2006 liner notes reprint + booklet with new commentary
● 2020 latest remastered edition

Terrific! 2020 is going out with a bang after all. What else can we ask now...maybe that all the multis for XTC’s Mummer be found? 😜
The next load from DV hopefully, I'm hoping for continued Santana Quad's in the first quarter of 2021 as well; and I think there's still time for a few surprises for late 2020 🤞

Obviously, with all this attention to detail regarding the Santana QUAD remasters and elaborate 7" packaging, methinks they have been in the works for some time and hopefully we can expect more of Santana's core albums on a regular basis and with pre~orders and sales setting new records, other elusive popular Columbia and RCA QUAD titles may eventually see the light of day.

And hopefully, even those artists [think Paul Simon] who have been lukewarm to releasing their QUAD remixes will finally be receptive to jump on the Surround bandwagon which I think we can all admit has been bounteous in the past few years.

And I have little doubt, based on all previous SONY Japan QUAD remasters that we will finally hear ABRAXAS for the very first time as intended by Carlos and those early 70's uber talented Columbia QUAD engineers, comfortably eclipsing all previous SQ, Q8 and DTS CD releases.

Eureka!

Good point........if you can wait. I'll see how long it takes to get the first Santana I ordered from importcd.

And ImportCD will have another one of their 10% off deals before year's end so hopefully it will lighten the financial burden even further, Mr. Jeff!

Well, for U.S. customers, if we can be a little more patient, rather than pay those exorbitant DHL s/h fees from Japan ....... wait until ImportCD eventually lists them.
I’m going DHL from now on... heck, my Santana SACD was already delivered today! I can’t wait to get home!!!

Back