Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound Of Thunder - Restored, Re-edited, Remixed [Blu-ray]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PF is my longtime fave band, but I cannot justify to myself the huge cost of their biggest boxes.
I bought the 3 subsets of the 1st box that had surround content. (Atom Heart is the winner!!! )
I ordered Delicate Sound immediately from Amazon.ca today!

Based on that website. Some of the 'extra songs' are being locked behind the Deluxe edition yet again...

Also, looking on Spotify, they put out a new '2020 edit' of Learning to Fly from DSoT. It's 27 seconds shorter than the one from the later years... Did they re-edit this whole damn concert again?!? Based off a first listen, it seems like a quicker fadeout from the end of the song.

If I remember correctly, the delicate sound of thunder was highly regarded here and said to be the best sounding disc from the latter years big $$$$ set. I've been looking for another disc to purchase along with the new Pineapple thief disc, so now I can get the order in...and it aint gonna cost no $300 ! Awright!

Based on that website. Some of the 'extra songs' are being locked behind the Deluxe edition yet again...

What the hell!?! They went to the trouble of authoring two different Blu-rays, so you don't get the bonus tracks unless you buy the completely redundant CDs and DVD too! The bonus tracks are almost all of side two of Momentary:
1. Yet Another Movie
2. Round And Around
3. A New Machine Part 1
4. Terminal Frost
5. A New Machine Part 2

Unless this is a big typo, it's a very rude move for bleeding more $ from fans.

Just to add fuel to the nonsensical decision-making over this release, this concert is also getting a one-night only theatrical showing, and the posters advertising it proudly proclaim that it's mixed in Atmos:

1601016733619.png

It seems borderline churlish to make this the only way to experience the Atmos mix in the age of COVID, and then not include it on the Blu-Ray when a simple authoring tweak could easily see it added alongside the existing audio streams.

I purchased "The Later Years" box set and Delicate Sound Of Thunder was the prize of the box in surround.
I have been to 2 movie releases in the past, Soundgarden (360 Surround) and INXS (ATMOS surround) and then purchased the same in Blu Ray and 100 times better watching/listening at home.
I will say that after going thru all of The Later Years box set I was so sick of all those songs and Pink Floyd, the same songs over and over, live, studio, surround, stereo :sick: that even now I am not convinced I would be completely entertained by this pre order Blu Ray.
I will think on this one a bit.

Back