HiRez Poll Beck, Jeff - WIRED [SACD][JAPAN]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Jeff Beck - WIRED

• Total voters
having compared the Japanese MultiCh SACD in 4-ch and 6-ch configuration to both a Q8 transfer and my own Surround Master decoded SQ LP needledrop, i believe the C & LFE on the SACD can be safely discarded without fear of adversely affecting the channel balances, EQ etc., of the surround sound.
What are we going to do next...take a nice Quad. and strip it down to stereo ???

Beefalo said:
What are we going to do next...take a nice Quad. and strip it down to stereo ???
I see it as just de-cluttering redundant information in the fronts that helps to bring things into clearer focus overall. That's why I like 4.x because of stuff like this.
My tastes have definitely changed in the last several months. I usually prefer a discrete quad over 5.1 now.

The Sony SACD of Wired has the quad mix, but the Analogue Productions SACD does not correct?

The Sony SACD of Wired has the quad mix, but the Analogue Productions SACD does not correct?
I don't know. For Blow By Blow, both contain the quad mix manipulated into 5.1. The Sony SACDs suffer from some kind of phase issue; the Analogue Productions SACD fixes this.

Last edited:
Incorrect. Both contain the quad mix manipulated into 5.1. The Sony SACDs suffer from some kind of phase issue; the Analogue Productions SACD fixes this.
I thought it was Blow by Blow that has a phase issue with rear channels in relationship to the fronts and not Wired?

But what’s interesting is how the ad on the Analogue Productiins page for Wired does not mention a surround layer or quad mix at all. I thought I recalled that it was on their pressing, but needed reminder.

Anyway my question was which has the better mastering of the quad Wired, Sony Japan 7” or AP?

s
You may be able to go back and edit/add to/ strikethrough the mistaken post
Not a real good idea after the comment has been quoted or commented upon. Otherwise, it would have been fine imo. We've all gotten our releases mixed up now and again. It's not a biggie.

Not a real good idea after the comment has been quoted or commented upon.

Of the three options I suggested -- edit/add to/strikethrough -- only 'Edit' could imply losing the original text . But it need not mean that.

write EDIT with the date and follow that with the correction..this is the same as 'Add to'. CORRECTION would also work
and/or
strikethrough the old text , to indicate it's inaccurate

I would suggest doing both.

Wired is a splendid follow up to BBB musically, and the quad mix is delightful. However the fidelity of the original recording has never been considered as fine as the earlier record. In stereo or quad - sq is not a 10.

Btw, Marshall at Audio Fidelity was interested in issuing it on their 4.0 SACD series, and it was an available license, and tapes were located and listened to. No one at AF thought it sounded great, and so they passed. Maybe in hindsight they should have moved forward on it just based on the merits of the music and having a good quad mix, and an additional J Beck title in the catalog. His albums are “evergreens” that always sell.

Oh wow ... I just realized I went OT on this Spotlight thread, sorry about that. I get carried away.

Btw, Marshall at Audio Fidelity was interested in issuing it on their 4.0 SACD series, and it was an available license, and tapes were located and listened to. No one at AF thought it sounded great, and so they passed. Maybe in hindsight they should have moved forward on it just based on the merits of the music and having a good quad mix, and an additional J Beck title in the catalog. His albums are “evergreens” that always sell.

wow i'm stunned.. that was a bad move on their part imho.

aside from one blinding error in the mix (where a synth is potted down way too low but still just faintly audible enough in the Rear Left to make you wince at what was done by the engineer!) its one of the best Rock Quad mixes and in all other respects totally trounces the Stereo!!

makes you wonder what other gems they passed on in the name of quality control.. 🤔 ah well its all water under the bridge now and AF did lots of great Quad stuff, Spectrum in particular leaps to mind as an absolute highlight, its a superb release.. and we did get the Wired Quad on SACD in the end thanks to Sony Japan of course, so all's well that ends well and all that! 👍

Back