Dutton Vocalion - what's essential?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm assembling my "mother of all DV orders" before shipping rates go up Oct 1. Are there any classical multi-channel titles in the DV catalogue that have a somewhat adventurous mix other than the Boulez/Bartok title? @J. PUPSTER , you suggested the following titles from the DV classical catalogue:

M Tilson Thomas & Cleveland LSO - Orff Carmina Burna & M Tilson Thomas LSO & NYP - Beethoven & Gershwin
Eugene Ormandy • Shostakovich Symphonies NOS. 5 & 15
Leopold Stokowski/London Symphony Orchestra - Stokowski conducts Bach: The Great Transcriptions & Wagner: Brünnhilde's Immolation
Pierre Boulez conducts Stravinsky: Petrushka & Pulcinella Suite

Anyway, I plan to include many of the following in my order:
- MFSB...Philadelphia Freedom
- Weather Report...Tale Spinnin
- The Guess Who...Rockin'
- Company (original cast)
- A Chorus Line (original cast)
- Lynn Anderson...Rose Garden
- Michel Legrand...Twenty Songs of the Century
- Deodato - Prelude
- Chet Atkins - Superpickers
- Badfinger...The Complete Quads (Heh, heh, heh, heeeeeeeeeeh...Got a few of you going there!)

Any items in my list NOT worth getting...i.e. mediocre sound/mix?

Thanks.

From the last classical batch I can really recommend the Stravinsky disc with Firebird and Spring Rite - more than excellent sonics and a very tasteful and discrete mix.

I'm assembling my "mother of all DV orders" before shipping rates go up Oct 1. Are there any classical multi-channel titles in the DV catalogue that have a somewhat adventurous mix other than the Boulez/Bartok title? @J. PUPSTER , you suggested the following titles from the DV classical catalogue:

M Tilson Thomas & Cleveland LSO - Orff Carmina Burna & M Tilson Thomas LSO & NYP - Beethoven & Gershwin
Leopold Stokowski/London Symphony Orchestra - Stokowski conducts Bach: The Great Transcriptions & Wagner: Brünnhilde's Immolation

Anyway, I plan to include many of the following in my order:
- MFSB...Philadelphia Freedom
- Weather Report...Tale Spinnin
- The Guess Who...Rockin'
- Company (original cast)
- A Chorus Line (original cast)
- Lynn Anderson...Rose Garden
- Michel Legrand...Twenty Songs of the Century
- Deodato - Prelude
- Chet Atkins - Superpickers
- Badfinger...The Complete Quads (Heh, heh, heh, heeeeeeeeeeh...Got a few of you going there!)

Any items in my list NOT worth getting...i.e. mediocre sound/mix?

Thanks.

I just thought I'd mention this...if there is an increase on shipping effective Oct 1st...you better submit an order NOW to allow time for your order to be processed before the deadline...just saying 🤭

From the last classical batch I can really recommend the Stravinsky disc with Firebird and Spring Rite - more than excellent sonics and a very tasteful and discrete mix.

With this order, I went for the the Stravinsky disc along with @J. PUPSTER other three recommendations. I also grabbed MFSB, Weather Report Tale Spinnin', and Company soundtrack. That makes an eight pack. The others will be held for fill-in on future orders to comply with GOS's law. Thanks to all for your recommendations and the oh-so-gentle nagging by Clinty to make sure I did not procrastinate any further.

With this order, I went for the the Stravinsky disc along with @J. PUPSTER other three recommendations. I also grabbed MFSB, Weather Report Tale Spinnin', and Company soundtrack. That makes an eight pack. The others will be held for fill-in on future orders to comply with GOS's law. Thanks to all for your recommendations and the oh-so-gentle nagging by Clinty to make sure I did not procrastinate any further.

To be included in a post with Gos and J.Pupster...I'm humbled...such an honor for my small part 🤭

I can’t comment on the classical selection, but as for the other two I’d highly recommend the O’Jays albums. I also like the Buddy Miles disc although some people think (IIRC) the sound quality is somewhat below the high level usually associated with DV releases. But again, it’s cheap so you won’t be out much if you don’t like it.

I just thought I'd mention this...if there is an increase on shipping effective Oct 1st...you better submit an order NOW to allow time for your order to be processed before the deadline...just saying 🤭
I placed the order at 7:40 AM with priority shipping. DV supplied the shipping notice at 8:25 AM. How’s that for service? Thanks for pressuring DV to process my order before the weekend, Clinty...It would seem that your sphere of influence is even greater than I had imagined. ;)

I can’t comment on the classical selection, but as for the other two I’d highly recommend the O’Jays albums. I also like the Buddy Miles disc although some people think (IIRC) the sound quality is somewhat below the high level usually associated with DV releases. But again, it’s cheap so you won’t be out much if you don’t like it.

Thanks, my Jersey comrade. ;) I have the Guess Who Wheatfield Soul disc and O'Jays as definites. It's a matter of budgeting right now because I want that new Abraxas disc and need to be extra-picky right now. My beer budget is getting affected by all this. :ROFLMAO:

Thanks, my Jersey comrade. ;) I have the Guess Who Wheatfield Soul disc and O'Jays as definites. It's a matter of budgeting right now because I want that new Abraxas disc and need to be extra-picky right now. My beer budget is getting affected by all this. :ROFLMAO:

N every other budget in the house will be affected too...they warned me...ALL your disposable income n then some will surely disappear

Music in surround is kinda like music on crack...very addicting

Welcome to the forum...i mean the addiction :)

I don’t know anything about that - LEONARD BERNSTEIN CONDUCTS HAYDN title, so I’ll wait and see what you say about it, for a possible future add on. (y)

I had to budget, so I just got the Guess Who disc for now. If I want that Abraxas sacd i can't do more. Jeez.....before I joined this forum I had a lot more disposable income. 😂

I had to budget, so I just got the Guess Who disc for now. If I want that Abraxas sacd i can't do more. Jeez.....before I joined this forum I had a lot more disposable income. 😂
U could starve to death :unsure: or go bankrupt...or worse End up in credit card Debto_O just kidding don't do that! :)
As long as we don't end up "in a Van, down by the River"; :unsure:... but for a great DV Quad title 😌... I might consider it :dance

Here's my short list (I even have some titles I haven't even cracked open yet to hear - 😳 Bad Doggie!!!)
*Would love to see what @steelydave's list is (probably not cool to Dave, but hey I'm just sayin' right!)

Breakaway
Chet Atkins - Superpickers & Picks The Best
Earth Wind & Fire - Sprit & Thats the Way
The Guess Who - American Woman & Share the land
The OJays - Survival & Family Reunion
Tomita - Firebird
360 Degrees of Billy Paul
The Miracles - Love Crazy
Blood Sweat & Tears - Mirror Image & New City
B W Stevenson - My Maria & Calabasas
MFSB - Philadelphia Freedom
Boulez NYPO - Bartok Concerto For Orchestra
Return to Forever - Musicmagic
George Benson - Body Talk

Just got done with the Shostakovich disc. Excellent recommendation Pupster! A good bit of the works are very discrete. Just one question, the notes say that the Incidental Music to Hamlet, Ops. 32 was remixed in surround sound, but not by whom. I wonder who did it?

Just got done with the Shostakovich disc. Excellent recommendation Pupster! A good bit of the works are very discrete. Just one question, the notes say that the Incidental Music to Hamlet, Ops. 32 was remixed in surround sound, but not by whom. I wonder who did it?
*haven't checked the liner notes personally, but-
discogs credits mentions 2-5 thru 2-17 for Incidental Music to Hamlet, Ops. 32; 🏆 goes to M.J.D.
https://www.discogs.com/Shostakovic...rchestra-Symphonies-Nos-5-15/release/14662571

Michael J. Dutton, the owner of Vocalion Records.

Back