Sony Blu-Ray Players used for SACD ripping

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's an issue I'm having with certain titles like the new Japan 7" Santana (also with Japan 7" Bitches Brew); upon ripping I checked the dsf files and notice on the first song only (Waiting), that there is a very short pop coming mainly from the silent center channel. If you have your system turned up with loud volume it can be potent. I'm using a Sony 5100 and SACDExtractGUI with settings at either Padding-less DSF or turned off. Not sure if I'm getting it on an ISO rip yet or not. But I may try and ISO+DSF next and see what happens. I've only noticed it so far on these Japan 7" SACDs.

You may not even notice it as you can see from the screen shots in Audacity below. The first one is regular view, and the second one is with many levels zoomed in.
I could just convert to flac and take it out in Audacity but I'd prefer to keep the dsf resolution if I can. I don't believe I have any DAWs that handle dsf files.
If someone else could check their files and see if that also happens to theirs I'd appreciate it?

View attachment 56825

View attachment 56826
OK BUMPING my own post here; still looking for some feedback from others that have any of these newer Japanese 7" SACDs; if their rips are creating this problem?

@HomerJAU Garry, does MMH support dsf files, and if not, is that something you could please program into it to handle? Someone mentioned to me that if I could use MMH, I could then use that add silent center channel to potentially correct this issue.

Garry, does MMH support dsf files, and if not, is that something you could please program into it to handle? Someone mentioned to me that if I could use MMH, I could then use that add silent center channel to potentially correct this issue.

Yes. I added DSF support for all the Remix Channel options in MMH a while back. The only option that’s not supported is channel inversion.

@J. PUPSTER Try the Refresh silent channel option on a test file. That should remove the silent channel(s) then recreate new silent channel(s). Just check it solves your issue first.

But be careful as it assumes you select files with silent channels, it doesn’t check if your files do actually have any. It just removes the 3rd channel of a 5 channel file, or 3rd and 4th of a 6 channel file, then inserts new silent channel(s).

@J. PUPSTER

I just remembered I changed the way MMH does the remix recently so that the Channel Layout branding is correct.

This may break DSF channel remixing. I didn't test. If you find an issue I may need to update MMH to use the old method for DSF. Please let me know and I'll get an update to you to use.

@J. PUPSTER

I just remembered I changed the way MMH does the remix recently so that the Channel Layout branding is correct.

This may break DSF channel remixing. I didn't test. If you find an issue I may need to update MMH to use the old method for DSF. Please let me know and I'll get an update to you to use.
Yup, just tried all that and it just removed the silent center and made it a 4.0 from a 5.0 with silent center.
Pretty sure the one I want is the 'Refresh Silent Channels (Remove&Recreate) (5&6 Ch files)'
Please take a look at it when you get a chance for a fix, no rush on this - Thank You much!

I still do not understand what this is physically. Is a "7" Mini-LP Hybrid SACD" an LP, a CD, an SACD, some or all?

"
It is a standard size MC SACD, but is in a special 7" cover, with artwork usually included. (some folks hate 'em, I love 'em because of the quality!)
IMG-0594.jpg

Then, why do you ask???
Until I found out exactly what it was, there was the possibility that it might be of interest to me. Should I have rejected it (or accepted it) without gaining some understanding?
Certainly kap'n, I was surprise by your response. I wanted to know the same thing. I've been at this stuff for 50+ years and had no idea what a "7" Mini-LP Hybrid SACD" was. Turned out to be only a fancy packaging so it offered nothing to me, specially if most are like the picture posted by pupster, all the writing is in Japanese or Chinese which I can't read.

Certainly kap'n, I was surprise by your response. I wanted to know the same thing. I've been at this stuff for 50+ years and had no idea what a "7" Mini-LP Hybrid SACD" was. Turned out to be only a fancy packaging so it offered nothing to me, specially if most are like the picture posted by pupster, all the writing is in Japanese or Chinese which I can't read.
I don´t read the majority of threads here and still I know exactly what it was Kal asked about...personally I though he meant something ELSE besides the Santana Miles , etc goodies
I understand some members do not read as much as I do and that´s cool I just think it´s very surprising that you two guys who I see quite often in the Forum have not seen what a 7" SACD is...

I understand some members do not read as much as I do and that´s cool I just think it´s very surprising that you two guys who I see quite often in the Forum have not seen what a 7" SACD is...
This site/thread is the first and (still) only mention that I have come upon to reference a "7" Mini-LP Hybrid SACD." Are there any US-based sites which have?

Back