Ray Thomas "Words and Music" compilation (includes "From Mighty Oaks" surround mix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine arrived today from Cherry Red. The surround is, as expected, only Dolby, even though the packaging, as usual for Esoteric, says DVD Audio :censored:. Playing at a low volume, but sounds nice though.

No DTS at all? Then thanks for the warning, this title is now a hard pass for me. 🙄

I think the DD sounds fine true not extraordinary. But don't let the DD stop you from buying this.
It's just a question if you like the songs
I find I have to skip the first track boring pseudo classical overture. I like the actual songs that follow.
Is this as good as Bluejays? No.

I think the DD sounds fine true not extraordinary. But don't let the DD stop you from buying this.
It's just a question if you like the songs
I find I have to skip the first track boring pseudo classical overture. I like the actual songs that follow.
Is this as good as Bluejays? No.

Jeff, the Bluejay's album is in a league by itself. I have it on QUAD OPEN REEL but haven't played it in years but from Memory, it DESPERATELY needs a hi res BD~A release [NO DD 4.0 PLEEEEZZZEEEE].

I paid under $15 for WORDS & MUSIC and agree the DD codec isn't THAT objectionable but why in 2020 is that 1990's technology even allowed to exist?

Jeff, the Bluejay's album is in a league by itself. I have it on QUAD OPEN REEL but haven't played it in years but from Memory, it DESPERATELY needs a hi res BD~A release [NO DD 4.0 PLEEEEZZZEEEE].

I paid under $15 for WORDS & MUSIC and agree the DD codec isn't THAT objectionable but why in 2020 is that 1990's technology even allowed to exist?
I love the Blue Jays album have the LP & CD, though the track Blue Guitar was a non-album single if I remember correctly, is it on the Quad tape? If it not does the track exist in Quad I wonder?
Edit: Looked on Discogs and the album was only ever released in Quad in the USA & Canada on R-to-R and Q8 with no Blue Guitar

If this album could be reissued twice why wouldn't Bluejays which surely sold more and has more appeal?
I'm not knocking this album I like it and agree DD shouldn't be used anymore for music.

They should have sent the multichannel tapes over to Neil Wilkes and let him crank out a DVD-A or BluRay for this set. That would not have been very expensive as Neil loves to support surround and has done work like this many times.

As far as Bluejays, Ray Thomas was behind getting this out in quad the first time, and he probably owned the masters. It would take both Hayward & Lodge to agree and who knows who else to get Bluejays out, but you would think at this point it would be a no brainer. Just do it.

Back