Oppo is back

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish they would make stand-alone multi-channel DACs...like the one in the 205. But it's probably not going to happen given the ubiquitous invasion of HDMI and the abundance of new equipment without multichannel analog inputs. Probably still not enough juice for Oppo given the price points at which their previous players were sold. :(

There's nothing like beating a dead horse 4ears.............:LOL:

Or chuggin' a Colt 45 [and NO, that's NOT me]

See the source image

I am sure several teams at Oppo studied this to death as killing not only a product but a product line (universal disc players) for which the brand was well known, albeit in a fairly small circle, is not a decision one makes capriciously. But I wonder if they fully explored the higher end of the market: e.g. phones that can play hi rez files, and even its own site catering to it's phone users, Hi end audio disc and 4k blu ray players such as the 203/205, and now high end televisions - all with that sweet Oppo pricing. Seems like with a little more vision and effort they could have turned Oppo into Opportunity (Did ya get that? Huh? Did ya?). Anyway, like I said, there is a committee with a spreadsheet somewhere I am sure explains it all.

I am sure several teams at Oppo studied this to death as killing not only a product but a product line (universal disc players) for which the brand was well known, albeit in a fairly small circle, is not a decision one makes capriciously. But I wonder if they fully explored the higher end of the market: e.g. phones that can play hi rez files, and even its own site catering to it's phone users, Hi end audio disc and 4k blu ray players such as the 203/205, and now high end televisions - all with that sweet Oppo pricing. Seems like with a little more vision and effort they could have turned Oppo into Opportunity (Did ya get that? Huh? Did ya?). Anyway, like I said, there is a committee with a spreadsheet somewhere I am sure explains it all.

Oppo made the right decision to exit the shrinking market....instead of delaying their departure and the possibility of having a fire sale to clear their inventory they left at the right time...selling a disc player when discs are on life support makes no sense...even a high end product makes no sense...there is no great demand for this type of product even now...not the kind of numbers that a company needs to profit

Last edited:
Back