What are your 5 favorite biographies/auto-biographies (BOOKS ONLY PLEASE) related to the MUSIC INDUSTRY?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Led Zeppelin - Bring It On Home - Peter Grant - Front Cover.jpg

Some of the Music related books I've read:

Anthony Kiedis with Larry Sloman - Scar Tissue
Chuck Berry - The autobiography
Jimmy McDonough - Shakey, Neil Youngs Biography
Michael Heatley - Neil Young, His Life And Music
John Phillips - Papa John
Levon Helm With Stephen Davis - This Wheels On Fire the Story of The Band
Mick Fleetwood & Stephen Davis - Fleetwood
Steven Gaines - Heroes And Villains the True Story of The Beach Boys
Ian Gillan - Child in Time
La Toya Jackson with Patricia Romanowski - La Toya Jackson
Anthony Bozza - Whatever You Say I Am: The Life and Times of Eminem

New Bio on Peter Frampton.....Just released Oct. 20th in Hardback, auidio CD with Peter narrating and also in Kindle format.....I heard about this yesterday when he appeared on Volume on Sirus/XM on the DEBATABLE show

1605733162848.png

any opinions?

A couple things above I had no idea about but I want to check out now. :)

The Real Frank Zappa Book is one of the most entertaining things I've ever read.

Ozzy's book (forget the name) was surprisingly interesting. I thought I knew a lot of the stories and I did. Probably more than a lot of polite society. There were still some jaw dropping stories in there!

Just recently read the Joe Jackson book mentioned earlier in this thread, A Cure for Gravity—and man, was that fantastic. There's actually a chapter in there about how he learned to deal with (and benefit from) criticism that I've been sharing like crazy at work because it's just such a great perspective. Mostly about his early life up to the time that fame hit (and his explanation of why he focuses on that time period is brilliant); it's just such a great read.

OK, five faves I haven't seen mentioned:

Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 9.14.05 AM.png

(producing & managing early Floyd, Fairport Convention, Nick Drake... just incredible, well written and very entertaining)

Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 9.20.40 AM.png

(not very well edited and thus very repetitive and over-long, but so bonkers that you can't help be compelled... I tell stories from this book regularly. It's also a fascinating portrait of the music scene in nowheres-land CA in the 60's)

Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 9.21.21 AM.png

(a gorgeous book, and told all through quotes from Ian and band members, similarly to the fabulous Gentle Giant book in the Unburied Treasure box but that one has a steep entry price)

Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 9.21.30 AM.png

(also told through quotes and only going up to 2006, but it's a really honest, funny, endearing way to relive the story through the personalities of these four - huge, hardcover, and beautiful photos)

Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 9.20.59 AM.png

(bonus two-fer! partly because the actual autobiography of Prince was cut tragically short so it's scant, but so unbelievably compelling that it pours even more salt on the wound that we lost him too soon... a nice pivot from that though, is jumping over to Morris Day's take on his own story and how he conjures up Prince from the beyond in his narrative—really well written and fascinating)

I’m halfway through this and loving it, but then I’ve been a Richard Thompson fan for decades. It covers 1967-1975, when Richard and his cohort were in the process of inventing folk-rock, ekeing out a musical living, and (mostly) surviving youthful folly. Some nightmare gigs in here that'll resonate for anyone who's ever played in public, and a range of musical encounters including Linda Ronstadt, Jimi Hendrix, and John Cage's apartment (he was out at the time). Give it a go.
Beeswing cover.jpeg

I nominate this one. It's a fantastic collection of Elliott Landy's iconic photographs of The Band in its heyday. I'm biased because I was in involved in the production of this book (I copyedited it), but many people agree with me :) Sadly, it appears to be out of print, but it's worth tracking down. Maybe your library has a copy.
1618158409872.png

I too have been an RT fan for decades. I haven't read the book yet because I'm waiting for my autographed copy to come in the mail (a gift from an old friend). I'm very much looking forward to reading it. I had the pleasure of seeing Elvis Costello interview Richard Thompson last week at the opening of the (virtual) book tour, and it was great.

I’m halfway through this and loving it, but then I’ve been a Richard Thompson fan for decades. It covers 1967-1975, when Richard and his cohort were in the process of inventing folk-rock, ekeing out a musical living, and (mostly) surviving youthful folly. Some nightmare gigs in here that'll resonate for anyone who's ever played in public, and a range of musical encounters including Linda Ronstadt, Jimi Hendrix, and John Cage's apartment (he was out at the time). Give it a go.View attachment 65807

Back