Oppo is back

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking about a UDP-205, I have never asked this before so here it goes.... I purchased a UDP-205 as soon as it became available. It has been great but since I've had it when playing a blu-ray disc, occasionally the picture and sound will go black/off for about 3 seconds before turning on again. I thought that a firmware upgrade would fix it, but as you know we only got one or maybe two before Oppo shut down. Do any of you guys experience this with your UDP-205?

All digital players do that (or freeze) when there is crud on the disc.

You mean Mr. Coffee?
e9f237868004046aa093077f26543d8a.jpg

Do you realize that a lot of millennials only know Joe as Mr. Coffee....they have no idea he was a great athlete...and the most unforgiveable thing is that they didn't know he was married to Marilyn Monroe

Well, CLINTY, THEY KNOW IT NOW! And he used to have poor Marilyn cook Spaghetti every night for he and his cronies. Chef Boyardee?

Oppo made the right decision to exit the shrinking market....instead of delaying their departure and the possibility of having a fire sale to clear their inventory they left at the right time...selling a disc player when discs are on life support makes no sense...even a high end product makes no sense...there is no great demand for this type of product even now...not the kind of numbers that a company needs to profit

I am not sure the market for universal disc players is as small as you claim. Sony started making universal players a couple of years ago and that may have had more to do with Oppo bowing out, then the market being too small to mess with. Now Sony has a huge share of a small market. I believe there is a stubborn group that won't abandon discs for streaming unless forced to do so.

As far as Oppo entering the TV market, that is a puzzle to me since that market is very competitive and profit margins are thin. The high-end OLED market offers higher profit margins for LG but I don't think that is going to last much longer.

Back