What's the Latest QUAD TAPE Added to Your Pile? Q8, Q4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Enoch Light & The Light Brigade - Charge!

Charge QR Front.jpg
Charge QR Back.jpg

Ike & Tina Turner - Live At Carnegie Hall

Tape 1 Front.jpg
Tape 2 Front.jpg
Tape 1 Back.jpg
Tape 2 Back.jpg

My first UA gold carts! They must be a mismatched set as tape 2 has Dolby and tape 1 doesn't. I've been playing around with the recorded files in my DAW all day and I can't quite figure what they were going for with the mix. Tina is in all four channels but loudest in rear left (!), Ike is in front right, and the backing vocals are in front center. Drums in the rears, but louder in rear left.

For now, I've settled on lowering rear left 5-6 dB and rotating all four channels clockwise - this puts Tina at mostly equal power in all four corners, Ike in right rear, drums across the left side and backing vocals in right center. If anyone has other suggestions, let me know...

View attachment 55026View attachment 55024View attachment 55025View attachment 55023

My first UA gold carts! They must be a mismatched set as tape 2 has Dolby and tape 1 doesn't. I've been playing around with the recorded files in my DAW all day and I can't quite figure what they were going for with the mix. Tina is in all four channels but loudest in rear left (!), Ike is in front right, and the backing vocals are in front center. Drums in the rears, but louder in rear left.

For now, I've settled on lowering rear left 5-6 dB and rotating all four channels clockwise - this puts Tina at mostly equal power in all four corners, Ike in right rear, drums across the left side and backing vocals in right center. If anyone has other suggestions, let me know...

On my black cartridge version, Tina is most loudest in Front Left. But like you, I'm totally confused about intent of the original mix. I have played with it a bit myself but never really had one of those "Aha!" moments where everything falls into place.

On my black cartridge version, Tina is most loudest in Front Left. But like you, I'm totally confused about intent of the original mix. I have played with it a bit myself but never really had one of those "Aha!" moments where everything falls into place.

Yeah, it's really weird. I wonder if it's really some kind of raw soundboard recording/mixdown from the live show rather than a fully-realized quad mix?

Got lucky the other day . I was bored so I started surfing . I went to Ebay UK just for a looksee. I checked my usual interests, quad stuff, LZ vinyl, PF tapes. So I came across a lot of 14 8 track Rock tapes and noticed one of the tapes was a UK PF DSOTM tape. So I bought the lot for around 66 bucks. All the tapes need refurbished. So I am going to use the other 13 tapes to learn how to refurbish. If I get it down pat , I will do the DSOTM tape.20200828_231045.jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 55026View attachment 55024View attachment 55025View attachment 55023

Nice. That's pretty odd, as my set has Dolby on both. The mysteries of the Q8 continue to astound.

Leonard Bernstein & The New York Philharmonic - Holst: The Planets

View attachment 56046View attachment 56045

I know The Planets is probably like the McDonalds of classical music, but this is #1 on my list of old Sony 5.1 SACDs that I hope D-V revisit and do the quad mix justice to (and I've told Mike as much), not to mention it's my favourite classical piece. Conducted by Bernstein and mixed in quad by Larry Keyes, I'm not sure you could get a much better combination.

Nice. That's pretty odd, as my set has Dolby on both. The mysteries of the Q8 continue to astound.

It's probably because U/A sold their two tape sets as both single tapes ($7.98 list) and double tape sets in a slipcase ($14.98 list), in the US anyway. I've never seen a Canadian (gold shell) U/A 2 tape set in a slipcase, so it's possible that in Canada, the tapes were only sold seperately - maybe the person who bought these tapes initially only bought one volume (in late '73/early '74) and liked it enough to pick up the other volume sometime after mid '74 when U/A's Canadian tapes started being manufactured with Dolby B encoding.

My latest. Quadding has been pretty slow this year. I also have the two tape set of Feliciano's Alive-Alive-O! waiting for me at my P.O. box whenever this craziness ends.
With this addition, I only need one more Friends of Distinction Q8; "Real Friends". I do find a certain humour in the fact I had this Q8 years ago, but sold it thinking I'd never go all completeist with my collection. If ever there was a man more wrong than I..... I do not know him.

I used to have The Ohio Players "Ecstacy" Q8 on Westbound. Sold that one off too..... for cheap.

friends.jpg

My latest. Quadding has been pretty slow this year. I also have the two tape set of Feliciano's Alive-Alive-O! waiting for me at my P.O. box whenever this craziness ends.
With this addition, I only need one more Friends of Distinction Q8; "Real Friends". I do find a certain humour in the fact I had this Q8 years ago, but sold it thinking I'd never go all completeist with my collection. If ever there was a man more wrong than I..... I do not know him.

I used to have The Ohio Players "Ecstacy" Q8 on Westbound. Sold that one off too..... for cheap.

View attachment 57132
😎 man, I thought you had everything already, good to know you're still on the hunt!

View attachment 57132

Nice score! I love all the Friends of Distinction Quads and I really hope Mr. Dutton will one day offer us 2 two-fers. Of course, that would leave one out, but perhaps he could do two albums on 1 SACD and then a 2 SACD set containing a two-fer and a single album disc. I'd buy those in a flash.

I was able to complete my FOD Q8 set a few months ago when I scored Real Friends (the later release without the cover on the cartridge. RCA stopped calling these Q8 and called them quad 8 instead) and Whatever and also scooped up a sealed Bobby Womack gold cart (my first) at the same time. That was quite a week for me.

Q8 Purchases - July 2020 edited.jpg

Nice score! I love all the Friends of Distinction Quads and I really hope Mr. Dutton will one day offer us 2 two-fers. Of course, that would leave one out, but perhaps he could do two albums on 1 SACD and then a 2 SACD set containing a two-fer and a single album disc. I'd buy those in a flash.

I was able to complete my FOD Q8 set a few months ago when I scored Real Friends (the later release without the cover on the cartridge. RCA stopped calling these Q8 and called them quad 8 instead) and Whatever and also scooped up a sealed Bobby Womack gold cart (my first) at the same time. That was quite a week for me.

View attachment 57135

Simon, you've got it backwards. The "early" (as in, Fall of 1970) cartridges are the ones with the art on the slip cover and are labelled as "quad8". The later ones from Spring 1971 and on and have the art on the cartridge are the Q8 versions.

I mentioned this in the RCA PQ8 thread I did (there's an actual news clipping at the end of this post) that the reason RCA changed their product name from 'Quad 8' to 'Q8' because of the threat of a lawsuit from the Quad electronics company, which made mixing desks that were popular at the time, including a model called the Quad 8.

The change happened sometime between when RCA released it's first batch of Q8's in November 1970, and October 1971, when RCA took out a 2-page ad in Billboard that shows their tapes in 'Q8' packaging.

Simon, you've got it backwards. The "early" (as in, Fall of 1970) cartridges are the ones with the art on the slip cover and are labelled as "quad8". The later ones from Spring 1971 and on and have the art on the cartridge are the Q8 versions.

I mentioned this in the RCA PQ8 thread I did (there's an actual news clipping at the end of this post) that the reason RCA changed their product name from 'Quad 8' to 'Q8' because of the threat of a lawsuit from the Quad electronics company, which made mixing desks that were popular at the time, including a model called the Quad 8.

The change happened sometime between when RCA released it's first batch of Q8's in November 1970, and October 1971, when RCA took out a 2-page ad in Billboard that shows their tapes in 'Q8' packaging.

Thank you both for the information and my apologies for the wrongful assumption. :)

Back