Pink Floyd The Wall in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rontoon

800 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Luna65 posted this on the AFG forum:

I can finally speak of this now (it's been going on for over a year and it's been torturous to sit on my figurative hands)...
When James gave his interview last month for the dCS Legends campaign (of which he is a recipient of their award and Sean may be posting the news item I provided him on the site), at the end of it he does verify that he is mixing The Wall for 5.1.

The relevant section is around 32 minutes in, but it's an interesting interview all-told.
https://dcs-legends-the-other-side-...nds-the-other-side-of-the-glass-james-guthrie

Well that is all great and so on, just one detail and that is that certain band members will likely have their say in this and that could cause it going down the Animals or Meddle-road.

Wild guessing here: Roger wanted Animals released as standalone SACD this year more or less in sync with Us&Them but David (or the management) wanted to bundle it with The Wall in The Middle Years box to be released in 2021

Are you at liberty to discuss any part of what you know?
It's all been said before. There's always been tension between Roger and David and there was a huge breakdown when The Early Years was released. Apparently no one ever bothered to get Roger's approval for the 5.1 mixes of Meddle and OBC. A combination of spite and territorial pissing (Guthrie is the only one supposed to be working on the Floyd's pre-Wall catalog) saw Roger disapproving these mixes which had to be pulled at the 11th hour and artwork and publicity for the box had to be changed. This cost David and company a lot of grief and expense.

Roger worked with Guthrie on the Animals 5.1 and new stereo mixes and wants to see it released. It will eventually be released but in the meantime Gilmour's simply seeking some payback by stalling the project.

Good to know that this project is moving along! And does Roger even need the rest of the band to agree to release anything Wall related? Wasn't that part of the deal in the 80s? Gilmour was granted access to use the name in exchange for Roger to have control of The Wall? Or did I mishear something?

Hmmmm. Waters/Guthrie or Gilmour/Jackson? Give me the latter any day of the week.
AMEM (y)

I do hope for everyone that The Wall becomes a reality sooner rather than later but to be honest I have little interest.
I probably listen to Animals a couple times a month for one of my Pink Floyd fixes, along with just about every other post Adam Heart Mother album in my library.
On the other hand, it's been years since I played The Wall for enjoyment. If I never heard a bunch of middleschoolers scream "hey teacher, live those kids along" again I'd be at peace with it. LOL

Last edited:
The way things are going I'll take any any day of the week!

Or, Waters and Gilmour can reach the ultimate compromise and hire STEVE WILSON, Derek!

But at the very least, sounds like they successfully 'baked' those defective WALL SCOTCH Reels and transferred ALL of the multis to a Digital Format because once you bake those masters, you only have ONE chance to GET IT RIGHT!

Back