New Fish album Weltschmerz in surround!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 -
He's a grumpy old Fish. Hey you kids, get off my email

Now if he spent less time writing messages about how long it takes to write messages, maybe my copy might have made the mail this week. o_O

First listen to the BluRay this afternoon. :LB

My initial feelings are very positive: It's a fitting curtain call from the big man. All of the songs sounded good to me on first listen - the writing, recording and playing quality is exactly what you would expect. But Fish's lyrics really stand out; thought provoking, emotional and often dripping with angst and pent up frustrations. The deluxe packaging is absolutely wonderful, too.

And the surround mix is pretty much perfect for the material. Great fidelity, it's discrete, well balanced and, though not aggressively active all of the time, it certainly works with the songs and the instrumentation. Up-front lead vocal in centre, with backing vocals, atmospherics, effects and some "thematic" instrumentation parts in the surrounds; certainly enough going on back there for it to be an engaging surround experience. There's some nice bass and LFE going on in the mix too. Maybe a little more compression than I would have liked, but it's not a painful listen in that regard. A worthy addition to my collection imho.

Well I've just watched Gardener's World on BBC2 and there was Fish describing his love of gardening after touring, and being able to walk out of the studio when he gets writer's block and wander around his garden. Maybe, just maybe, some time in the future his garden will inspire him to make another album.
Edit: He loves growing Chillies

Talked to one of my brother's today and he has the 2CD version, says there isn't a duff track on it, and he finished playing it and put it straight back on - my deluxe edition is still sitting on the to listen to and on a no surround diet until my ear infection clears up (too boomy in right rear :().

Talked to one of my brother's today and he has the 2CD version, says there isn't a duff track on it, and he finished playing it and put it straight back on - my deluxe edition is still sitting on the to listen to and on a no surround diet until my ear infection clears up (too boomy in right rear :().

Dunc, does your brother have a surround system or is he just 'wingin' it in Stereo?

Finally got my tracking # yesterday but the package does not yet seem to be in Royal Mail's hands. I don't think Fish's crew ever got to his hoped for 2,000 copies processed per day. That would be par for the course. 35 years of cunning plans going awry. Give credit for the big man never giving up though.

Mine's here, at last. I'll try to listen to it later today. I'm fully familiar with the album thanks to Tidal, so I will be able to fully focus on the mix.
There's only one track I don't like (Walking on eggshell) and another one that leaves me cold (Rose of Damascus).
Really looking forward to open the package and take a look at the artwork (and that misterious drawing at the end)

Finally got my tracking # yesterday but the package does not yet seem to be in Royal Mail's hands. I don't think Fish's crew ever got to his hoped for 2,000 copies processed per day. That would be par for the course. 35 years of cunning plans going awry. Give credit for the big man never giving up though.
Is not the big man, but Royal Mail that's slow. Got tracking confirmation after a day or so...

Ok, first impressions: as it has been said, the mix is deliciously discreet, great fidelity and no signs of loudness. However, I have the impression that rears are too loud compared with the fronts and that makes the mix feel unbalanced (voice and drums sounding too low compared to everything that is happening on the rears, that is a lot). I would need some more listens to assess if this is indeed an issue or not. But I got the impression that background vocals are more powerful than Fish's, which is weird.
Mix apart, the book is wonderful, Mark's drawings are brilliant and yes, the closing picture is an appropriate graphical bookend to Fish's career.
And another complaint, although my listening skills will be greatly improved, the interview showcases a nice Scottish accent that without any subtitles is indeed a bit challenging for me

Actually, I think Royal Mail is doing fine with this one. Lots of reports of better than average delivery times.
I was referring to Fish's comments that his team were hoping to process and post to RM up to 2,000 orders a day once they got a rhythm down.

Again, no disrespect. Just a slight jab at Fish. I have been a supporter of his solo efforts from the start and appreciate that he has always been very open with his fans on his triumphs and letdowns. He has shared so many plans over the years that have ended up not going as anticipated or planned. The guy has preserved through problems with promoters, record distributors, bad marriages, vocal issues, struggles with his own record label, a self financed studio that was a bit of a bust and having a trusted office & merch manager stealing from him.

Still he carried on and I guess that is why I have followed him through the years even when I thought some of the albums were pretty poor.

It looks like my copy didn't hang around too long with the Royal Mail as it is now in the air to the US.
Picked up late Tuesday from Fish, took a ride from Haddington to Edinburgh and then to Langley all in a day.

It looks like my copy didn't hang around too long with the Royal Mail as it is now in the air to the US.
Picked up late Tuesday from Fish, took a ride from Haddington to Edinburgh and then to Langley all in a day.
Sent oktober 2nd by Fish. Collected 2th by Royal Mail and moved to Langley. Arrived on the 6th. Transfer overseas to Amsterdam on 7th. Delivered today in the Netherlands

Woah. I got Fish on Friday!
ED3144A0-0C41-45DF-A570-63FB7EB2FF70.jpeg

Back