DGM finally announces 50th anniversary surround deluxe set of IN THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Concerning the Exposure box set, didn't Daryl Hall and Fripp record an albums worth of material that had to be scrapped due to Hall's recording contract? We may get original versions of songs with Daryl singing... this is just a 40 year old memory now so I could be mistaken...

Concerning the Exposure box set, didn't Daryl Hall and Fripp record an albums worth of material that had to be scrapped due to Hall's recording contract? We may get original versions of songs with Daryl singing... this is just a 40 year old memory now so I could be mistaken...

You could be right as I just found this out from the following article on Daryl Hall solo album Sacred Songs and Daryl should have been the singer for all the songs of Exposure but wasn't allowed by his record label.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/daryl-hall-sacred-songs/
"Hall then recorded vocals for Exposure, which would also serve as Fripp's solo debut. RCA ended up meddling in that process, as well: Hall was only allowed to appear on two songs, "You Burn Me up I'm a Cigarette" and "North Star."

"I was supposed to be the singer on that whole album – because he did my album, I did his album," Hall added. "[But] I was with RCA at the time, and they balked. They wouldn't allow my vocals to be put on his records. All the vocals you hear on Exposure are completely my ideas that were as best as could be done copied by other people, except for two or three songs. And that was really disheartening. That's when I completely fell out of love with the music business."

Fripp was just as disappointed. "I have been very depressed," he told Jean-Gilles Blum in 1979. "I can't even express my contempt for the people at RCA who are responsible for this decision."

I did not know this, thanks; shame that they interfered so heavily in Exposure.
I am pretty sure Skynyrd didn't write Workin' For MCA out of love.

I am far more interested in the Exposure box than the new KC one.
I bought the recent blu-ray of Court, and I don't have an Atmos system, so I really don't need the new set

You could be right as I just found this out from the following article on Daryl Hall solo album Sacred Songs and Daryl should have been the singer for all the songs of Exposure but wasn't allowed by his record label.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/daryl-hall-sacred-songs/
"Hall then recorded vocals for Exposure, which would also serve as Fripp's solo debut. RCA ended up meddling in that process, as well: Hall was only allowed to appear on two songs, "You Burn Me up I'm a Cigarette" and "North Star."

"I was supposed to be the singer on that whole album – because he did my album, I did his album," Hall added. "[But] I was with RCA at the time, and they balked. They wouldn't allow my vocals to be put on his records. All the vocals you hear on Exposure are completely my ideas that were as best as could be done copied by other people, except for two or three songs. And that was really disheartening. That's when I completely fell out of love with the music business."

Fripp was just as disappointed. "I have been very depressed," he told Jean-Gilles Blum in 1979. "I can't even express my contempt for the people at RCA who are responsible for this decision."
That Darryl Hall album is great well worth a check

That Darryl Hall album is great well worth a check

Robert Fripp has stated that he considers Sacred Songs, Exposure and Peter Gabriel's second album (which Fripp also produced) to be part of a trilogy. Would be cool to put the three together in one set, but I am sure that would be a licensing nightmare.

Robert Fripp has stated that he considers Sacred Songs, Exposure and Peter Gabriel's second album (which Fripp also produced) to be part of a trilogy. Would be cool to put the three together in one set, but I am sure that would be a licensing nightmare.
The League of Gentlemen would also be welcome addition to that group. Hey, throw in all of the Frippertronic albums mixed in ATMOS and I'd buy them all again!

Last edited:
I kind of knew the story of issues with Darryl Hall's label and re-recording vocals for some songs. Some of those have surfaced on the reworked editions even. Thinking about that in hindsight though and it's more clear that Fripp must genuinely consider the original pretty flawed. That really explains him going back and reworking it.

I know that why I bough all three.

Now a box with all three in surround and I would be in heaven.

I kind of knew the story of issues with Darryl Hall's label and re-recording vocals for some songs. Some of those have surfaced on the reworked editions even. Thinking about that in hindsight though and it's more clear that Fripp must genuinely consider the original pretty flawed. That really explains him going back and reworking it.
He (still) considers the Exposure album to be good, but the trilogy idea doesn't work right. Peter Gabriel does a magnificent job on "Here comes the Flood" (I think that it was never meant to be Hall's vocals. And Peter Hamill sounds great on "Chicago" as well. The original mix never sounded right and so there was a 1983/84 remix (Re-Kindled) album that was cool. Then the original mix came out (again later) with the Hall material added, and with better mastering, it turns out that the original mix was quite strong to begin with, but needed the right mastering to open it up a bit.

I worked for Fripp for a few years and even made it to England, and a visit to his home- we had tea and cake out by his English garden on the property. It was surreal. Fripp asked me if I knew who Tommy Matolla was??? I said yes, he now runs Sony Music. Fripp said well he was manager for Hall and got in the way of Exposure being the way it was planned and produced. I could see he was still seething over that ordeal and it being TM's fault. We were discussing an Expanded Edition of the Exposure album at that time, as well as a CD release of the live USA album. Both projects came to be.

Anyway, the tea and cake and some pie were wonderful. An unforgettable experience for me.

Last edited:
Back