New John Lennon collection, remixed in 5.1 surround & Dolby Atmos out in October!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my box today, scheduled for Wednesday, but Amazon surprisingly advanced it to today.
I liked what I heard in Tidal, but the Blu-ray is like night and day! All of a sudden there's plenty of bass and fidelity is much, much higher.
All Atmos speakers working fine, this is pure bliss!

I got my box today, scheduled for Wednesday, but Amazon surprisingly advanced it to today.
I liked what I heard in Tidal, but the Blu-ray is like night and day! All of a sudden there's plenty of bass and fidelity is much, much higher.
All Atmos speakers working fine, this is pure bliss!
I guess you have either height or ceiling Atmos speaker, it seems to be just the up firing Dolby enabled speakers it doesn’t like.....glad it’s good for you.

Frustration grows, I reset my Denon 6200. Now I can only get Atmos content from my DAE Rears as before, If I change the 6200 config to TF+TR, I get no Atmos content from the Atmos speakers, whereas before the reset, I got Atmos content from all four Atmos speakers. Also, if I change the config to FH+RH, no Atmos content (same as before).

There seems to be something unusual with the Atmos encoding on "Gimme Some Truth". I've never had any issues with other Atmos music or videos. I just played some Atmos content from Abbey Road and all four upfiring Atmos speakers had content with the 6200 set for DAE F+DAE R (proper config)..

Not sure what to do at this point. I know there are just a few others having similar issues. Given that "Gimme Some Truth" just got released and there hasn't been much of a chance for feedback yet, I'll keep an eye on the situation. I think I'll let Bull Moose know in case there is a future recall.
Today, I tried all Atmos speaker combinations with my Denon 6200 playing the Atmos track "Instant Karma" from the new John Lennon Gimme Some Truth BD.

I found the issues documented in the table below.

To my best knowledge, I've never had any issues playing Atmos music or videos, other than the Atmos content on the John Lennon Gimme Some Truth BD

Before I began testing, I performed a HARD RESET (network + microprocessor reset) on my Denon 6200 The HARD RESET is supposed to initialize the 6200 back to its OOTB initial state other than the latest firmware is retained. I did a minimal setup on the 6200; just enough to play content from my Oppo 203 to my 5.1.4 speaker setup.

I then played "Instant Karma" in repeat mode on my Oppo 203.

Below are the results. The first 11 entries in the table are for a four speaker Atmos setup. The remaining entries are for a two speaker Atmos setup.

*** EDIT---->>> If a row is marked with a YES, then there was an issue playing the Atmos content properly (based on my testing). ***

For my FD+SD (upfiring) setup, I continue to have an issue with only the SD speakers playing Atmos content; no content from the FD speakers.

Atmos Speaker SettingResultsIs There An Issue?
FD+SDSDYes
TF+TRTF+TRNo
TF+RHTF+RHNo
TM+RHTMYes
FH+TMTMYes
FH+TRFH+TRNo
FH+RHFH+RHNo
FH+SDSDYes
TF+SDSDYes
FD+TRFDYes
FD+RHFDYes
FDFDNo
SDSDNo
FHFHNo
TFTFNo
TMTMNo
TRTRNo
RHRHNo

Last edited:
Today, I tried all Atmos speaker combinations with my Denon 6200 playing the Atmos track "Instant Karma" from the new John Lennon Gimme Some Truth BD.

I found the issues documented in the table below.

To my best knowledge, I've never had any issues playing Atmos music or videos, other than the Atmos content on the John Lennon Gimme Some Truth BD

Before I began testing, I performed a HARD RESET (network + microprocessor reset) on my Denon 6200 The HARD RESET is supposed to initialize the 6200 back to its OOTB initial state other than the latest firmware is retained. I did a minimal setup on the 6200; just enough to play play content from my Oppo 203 to my 5.1.4 speaker setup.

I then played "Instant Karma" in repeat mode on my Oppo 203.

Below are the results. The first 11 entries in the table are for a four speaker Atmos setup. The remaining entries are for a two speaker Atmos setup.

For my FD+SD (upfiring) setup, I continue to have an issue with only the SD speakers playing Atmos content; no content from the FD speakers.

Atmos Speaker SettingResultsIssue?
FD+SDSDYes
TF+TRTF+TRNo
TF+RHTF+RHNo
TM+RHTMYes
FH+TMTMYes
FH+TRFH+TRNo
FH+RHFH+RHNo
FH+SDSDYes
TF+SDSDYes
FD+TRFDYes
FD+RHFDYes
FDFDNo
SDSDNo
FHFHNo
TFTFNo
TMTMNo
TRTRNo
RHRHNo

Ugh - worries me. I have a Denon X4400H and I am concerned I will have same issues as you.

Ugh - worries me. I have a Denon X4400H and I am concerned I will have same issues as you.
Given you got a crushed corner on your first box set, I hope you don't have further issues.

I've gotten a few reports on D&M owners having issues depending on their Atmos speaker setup.

What's your Atmos speaker config?

Given you got a crushed corner on your first box set, I hope you don't have further issues.

I've gotten a few reports on D&M owners having issues depending on their Atmos speaker setup.

What's your Atmos speaker config?
Yikes, I'd have to get into my settings and find that. Not sure if I even remember where to locate that. Been too long, and I don't futz with settings often.

I have all the Beatles Blu Ray 5.1 albums and learned "by ear" to always listen to the Dolby versions. An enjoyable difference.

BTW, has anyone heard when the Lennon disks ordered from MusicVault might arrive? :cool:
Got this overnight:
"Unfortunately, there has been a delay in receiving stock from the supplier, but we should be receiving stock in the next 3-14 days.

As soon as the item leaves our warehouse you will receive a shipment confirmation email from us.

Please do let us know if you do not wish to wait for the item to come in stock and we can cancel the item/order for you. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience or disappointment caused by this delay."

Well I need to eat humble pie 🥮 thought I would try playing the actual disc rather than the makemkv rip and after first refusing to go past the initial logo screen and locking up my Oppo 105 following restart of Oppo Atmos plays as it should with sound coming from front Dolby enabled upfiring speakers. Lesson learnt, play the actual disc ( something I very rarely do) before throwing toys out of the pram🤡

Updated makemkv and re ripped now it’s playing just fine. No idea what the problem was maybe just a bad rip or the update sorted it or playing the disc showed player and receiver what to do 🙃

I just received it this morning. I have the same receiver and setup as you GOS and yes, rear speakers only. This reminds me of the early days of DVD-Audio players where every so often a new release would require a fimware upgrade for certain brands of players. I read somewhere that only Denon and Marantz players are affected. So does the fault lie with the bluray or the firmware?

Updated makemkv and re ripped now it’s playing just fine. No idea what the problem was maybe just a bad rip or the update sorted it or playing the disc showed player and receiver what to do 🙃
I just ripped my "Gimme Some Truth" BD to MKV. I have my Oppo 203 networked to my desktop Win 10 Pro desktop via SMB.

I still can't get the FD speakers to play. Only the SD speakers. Same as playing the BD.

If I change to TF+TR, then all four Atmos speakers play. Same as the BD.

What make/model receiver do you have?

What is you speaker setup? (e.g., FD+SD).

Last edited:
Marantz SR7015 speakers set as 5.1 + FD. Don’t understand why it works now but screen on Marantz shows Dolby Atmos and plays through all speakers. When I first played it, admittedly not the disc but a rip, I got nothing from the FD speakers but now it works. Will try again tomorrow after various other sources have played through the system and see what happens then.

Marantz SR7015 speakers set as 5.1 + FD. Don’t understand why it works now but screen on Marantz shows Dolby Atmos and plays through all speakers. When I first played it, admittedly not the disc but a rip, I got nothing from the FD speakers but now it works. Will try again tomorrow after various other sources have played through the system and see what happens then.
Based on my testing, FD (5.1.2) should work ok. See my table in post SPOTLIGHT - New John Lennon collection, remixed in 5.1 surround & Dolby Atmos out in October!

I have FD+SD (5.1.4) and only the SD speakers play Atmos content when playing "Gimme Some Truth" in Atmos.

Last edited:
I have all the Beatles Blu Ray 5.1 albums and learned "by ear" to always listen to the Dolby versions. An enjoyable difference.

BTW, has anyone heard when the Lennon disks ordered from MusicVault might arrive? :cool:

The difference on this one between DTS and Dolby appears to be simply a matter of adjusting the volume knob up or down on your AVR.

Audio hobbyists need to take to heart the psychoacoustic fact: simply 'turning it up' (or down) can account for a multitude of 'OMG X IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN Y" impressions.

Back