Pink Floyd The Wall in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please come out of the closet all you boogie referencer's! Throw on some Donna Summer and roll with it. You'll be glad you did! Haha. I picture Rontoon's head exploding like in Scanners...

edit...who started this?

I like disco...granted i probably wouldn't have admitted that to some of my friends as a teen...but dancing MEANS disco...N i had some moves back un the day

Donna Summer, Bee Gees u bet 💃🕺

It was a bunch of straight white guys going around destroying not just disco albums, whose primary audience was largely people of color and gay men, but also other black artists who had nothing to do with disco. It's a quick google and reading a few articles to understand more of what was happening. The Shock Jock who organized it denies any racist or homophobic intent, but there's a lot more that went on there than what he meant for or understands.

It was a bunch of straight white guys going around destroying not just disco albums, whose primary audience was largely people of color and gay men, but also other black artists who had nothing to do with disco. It's a quick google and reading a few articles to understand more of what was happening. The Shock Jock who organized it denies any racist or homophobic intent, but there's a lot more that went on there than what he meant for or understands.
Never knew that. Wikipedia calls it
Disco Demolition Night

Oh please, that's a bunch of BS. The disco clubs all over the country were packed with straight whites just like in Saturday Night Fever. Disco musics soaring popularity was starting to make inroads into what had before been rock AND MOTOWN radio stations like WDAI in Chicago. Their listeners weren't happy about it with calls flooding in saying "stop playing that dang disco". Steve Dahl latched onto an idea for a promotion that would attract a few listeners to his station and make a little money.
This political climate of attempting to rewrite history and instill hate is horrible.
NOT Racial, no one ever did a Motown sucks or Blues suck promotion or called into rock stations complaining about them playing that music, which they did and still do a lot.
Spread the love, not the derision.

Oh please, that's a bunch of BS. The disco clubs all over the country were packed with straight whites just like in Saturday Night Fever. Disco musics soaring popularity was starting to make inroads into what had before been rock AND MOTOWN radio stations like WDAI in Chicago. Their listeners weren't happy about it with calls flooding in saying "stop playing that dang disco". Steve Dahl latched onto an idea for a promotion that would attract a few listeners to his station and make a little money.
This political climate of attempting to rewrite history and instill hate is horrible.
NOT Racial, no one ever did a Motown sucks or Blues suck promotion or called into rock stations complaining about them playing that music, which they did and still do a lot.
Spread the love, not the derision.
Your point may or may not be valid. I am no disco historian. But your tone there is a tad derisive. So please practice what you preach. One of the great things about QQ is the friendly tone we try to keep around here. Please respect that, even when disagreeing. Thanks.

History is written by the victors, and often ignores the perspectives and narratives of the oppressed. History should be rewritten to include those perspectives and narratives. The only people in which this instills hate are those with something to lose: cisgendered, heterosexual white supremacists and their apologists.

Your point may or may not be valid. I am no disco historian. But your tone there is a tad derisive. So please practice what you preach. One of the great things about QQ is the friendly tone we try to keep around here. Please respect that, even when disagreeing. Thanks.

Indeed. Also, pretending those callers to the radio stations who demanded to stop playing disco had nothing to do with racism or homophobia is revisionist history or ignorance. Does anyone believe it was only about the music? Just like a lot of what we're experiencing now, those people were horrified that black culture, and more so gay culture, is popular and entering their own lives. Something had to be done to stop it before their own culture gets sullied. And all hate needs is someone to ignite it, the mob is always ready.

Indeed. Also, pretending those callers to the radio stations who demanded to stop playing disco had nothing to do with racism or homophobia is revisionist history or ignorance. Does anyone believe it was only about the music? Just like a lot of what we're experiencing now, those people were horrified that black culture, and more so gay culture, is popular and entering their own lives. Something had to be done to stop it before their own culture gets sullied. And all hate needs is someone to ignite it, the mob is always ready.
I can only speak for me. I had no love for Disco, and was happy when it went away. But it had nothing to do with race or gender in the least. It was starting to gradually creep into my rock landscape, and my teenage sensibilities resented that. Besides, I wasn't a good dancer.

I can only speak for me. I had no love for Disco, and was happy when it went away. But it had nothing to do with race or gender in the least. It was starting to gradually creep into my rock landscape, and my teenage sensibilities resented that. Besides, I wasn't a good dancer.

The intention is not to say that you specifically, or anyone else on this forum for that matter, is racist and/or homophobic for not loving disco. Many people don't and that's valid and fine. However, there was a driving force behind that movement, and while I have no doubt there were many people had no ill intent (many people join the mob this way not realising what they're doing), take a step back and think about how violent and aggressive this was. How hateful. Destroying records? Doesn't that remind you something else from history? Can you think of any kind of art that should instill in people this kind of hatred for simply not liking it?

In any case, at the very least this deserves a consideration and thoughtful exchange, and not just an aggressive dismissal.

Last edited:
I remember Disco Demolition and I fail to see any racism or homophobia connected to it. You need to understand Steve Dahl's intention here, he was against the music and the disco threat to musicians at the time. People can read into it any way they want but its revisionist history. It was meant to be a fun promotional event. There was no hate against any particular artists and it was fun watching a pile of records being blown up. This wasnt a book burning event. And it ultimately went horribly wrong.

Now can we please get back on topic?

Last edited:
I was not a fan of disco - if anything I appreciate it more now.

I was not sad to see disco die off, although that was my own ignorance if others were enjoying it.

The idea that racism and homophobia were involved in the death of disco is an entirely new idea to me. I agree with the comment that history should be rewritten if the rewrite warrants it. It would be a topic that I would have to research more in order to have a cogent opinion. My other projects will not allow this, at least not now. It does make me curious.

If anyone here felt personally harmed or attacked by the death of disco, sorry you felt that way. I used to wander around saying disco sucks, but I think for me it had more to do with the migration away from hard rock in popular culture, which is where my loyalties did (and still mostly) lie. For what it is worth, I felt the same about synth pop and hair bands that I did about disco. Just not my jam.

Finally, perhaps this whole discussion should be moved to another thread, as it has very little to do with Pink Floyd or even the Wall, which has only one song that could be loosely characterized as disco. Personally, I never thought of ABITW as a disco track, although the underlying beat is derivative of that.

As a straight white 63 year old male. My memory of disco is the primary focus was to pick up women. That’s all the music meant to me. I was strictly a rock and roll guy, but I used the opportunity to my advantage. It’s funny I remember one place I frequented called The Last National Bank. Every evening started with The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys blasting out of there sound system. I always thought it was a great song that I had no idea of the meaning. Maybe in this respect it referred to silly platform shoes we we wearing. Then they would play disco music and the hunt began.

As a straight white 63 year old male. My memory of disco is the primary focus was to pick up women. That’s all the music meant to me. I was strictly a rock and roll guy, but I used the opportunity to my advantage. It’s funny I remember one place I frequented called The Last National Bank. Every evening started with The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys blasting out of there sound system. I always thought it was a great song that I had no idea of the meaning. Maybe in this respect it referred to silly platform shoes we we wearing. Then they would play disco music and the hunt began.
Yep, exactly. It was a way to get close to all those "American Foxes" (per Steve Martin and Dan Aykroid). Hated the music though.

Long live platform shoes and 3 piece corduroy suits.

Back