New John Lennon collection, remixed in 5.1 surround & Dolby Atmos out in October!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The difference on this one between DTS and Dolby appears to be simply a matter of adjusting the volume knob up or down on your AVR.

Audio hobbyists need to take to heart the psychoacoustic fact: simply 'turning it up' (or down) can account for a multitude of 'OMG X IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN Y" impressions.

It's a bit more than that. It's a balance issue. You have to turn the volume up on the rears of the DTS, and to different levels for different songs. Not the case on the DD. Very strange situation.

But, as you say, it has nothing to do with the encoding system. Purely levels.

Got this overnight:
"Unfortunately, there has been a delay in receiving stock from the supplier, but we should be receiving stock in the next 3-14 days.

As soon as the item leaves our warehouse you will receive a shipment confirmation email from us.

Please do let us know if you do not wish to wait for the item to come in stock and we can cancel the item/order for you. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience or disappointment caused by this delay."
This is the BS response I received yesterday:

“Thank you for your message.

Your order is currently in our warehouse being picked ready for dispatch.

Please note given the global outbreak of Coronavirus there are delays in orders being shipped due to high volumes.

As soon as the item leaves our warehouse you will receive a shipment confirmation email from us.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience or disappointment caused by this delay.

If we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards
Andrea
Digital Stores Customer Services“

This is my first and last purchase from MusicVaultz.

Got this overnight:
"Unfortunately, there has been a delay in receiving stock from the supplier, but we should be receiving stock in the next 3-14 days.

Please do let us know if you do not wish to wait for the item to come in stock and we can cancel the item/order for you. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience or disappointment caused by this delay."
Just to add another data point: after reading someone say their order was canceled with a statement that the preorder credit card hold is only good for thirty days, I decided to write them a few days ago and ask for an update. I never mentioned cancellation. Yesterday I got the same email as above.

I’m still concerned about cancellation but not as much as before. Am I bothered by the delay? Yeah. But all things considered... not really. Maybe I’m too drained from the insanity; I certainly understand those who are angry.

That being said, I looked around for alternatives. The one I’m personally most comfortable with is Target since they’re local and that makes potential returns much easier and risk-free than DD, importCDs, etc. They’re selling it for a princely $80 *but* right now they have a “but 2 get 1 free” sale until 10/17. If you have a few other high ticket items (like the $50 MSRP Plastic Ono book) then it can come out pretty competitive. Add 5% off for RedCard and it gets a bit better. This sale repeats every few months. Ideal? No. Reasonable? It’s subjective.

Best of all, with RedCard I believe you have a sixty day return window (if unopened) so it’s a pretty good insurance policy if you’re on the fence. If anyone tries this, though, I’d resist temptation to open it before canceling MusicVaultz.

Last edited:
There is a write-up this morning over on SDE. Including this interesting tidbit:

Simon Hilton, the production manager of this series has confirmed that they’ve done the Plastic Ono Band album already and the plan is to work through other long-players.
yes and here is the link to the write-up, which is very well done
https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/...me-truth-deluxe-edition-reviewed/#more-161710
as well there is an unboxing of both the 4LP and the SDE set as well

There is a write-up this morning over on SDE. Including this interesting tidbit:

Simon Hilton, the production manager of this series has confirmed that they’ve done the Plastic Ono Band album already and the plan is to work through other long-players.

https://recordingmag.com/resources/...mqEulZsxXBDyrPRQi9-LHXVdLKDoKmZnE771n_0VMsGQwHere’s another excellent write-up from Recording Magazine, plenty of tech talk to geek out on! Oh, and it also mentions the “secret” re Plastic Ono.

Thanks Paul S. for this revelation
“I must admit, I’m finding it hard to want to return to stereo after listening in 5.1.”

I recently just watched one of those “Classic Albums” shows about the Plastic Ono Band - now I’m stoked for more!

Last edited:
i'm not totally sure which one of the exact mix differences of those Jon has detailed that i was listening to when i selected the Dolby Atmos 48/24.. i'm guessing i was getting the Atmos downmixed to Dolby True HD 5.1 from the looks of my AVR's OSD.. but whatever it was it all played back in excellent 5.1 surround sound on my non-Atmos-capable AVR and the downmixed Atmos felt more "surround-y" than the 96/24 5.1 DTS HD MA tracks. if they were to do all Lennon's albums in similar fashion i'd be up for that 🙂

I'm ripping my disc now MKV>MMH.
In the rip selection there is the 5.1 and the 7.1.
Obviously the 5.1 is 5.1 and I am sure that will play via my JRiver just like others.
I am ripping also the 7.1 as I assume that is the ATMOS track, which I have no idea if my JRiver will play in Atmos, probably not, but got to learn.

I'm ripping my disc now MKV>MMH.
In the rip selection there is the 5.1 and the 7.1.
Obviously the 5.1 is 5.1 and I am sure that will play via my JRiver just like others.
I am ripping also the 7.1 as I assume that is the ATMOS track, which I have no idea if my JRiver will play in Atmos, probably not, but got to learn.
Others please correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the right side info panel in MKV shows if it has the Atmos data; and I think you need to keep as either MKV or mp4 to get the Atmos.

Others please correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the right side info panel in MKV shows if it has the Atmos data; and I think you need to keep as either MKV or mp4 to get the Atmos.
That's good to know. I have never before ripped intentionally the ATMOS. I will look for the MKV right side info panel. But maybe you mean the right side MMH panel?

Back