I spent my COVID vacation money on this.....

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gvl_guy

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Greenville, SC (via NJ, Philly, ATL & SoFL)
Didn't go anywhere this year and might not be able to travel much of next year either, so besides doing some upgrades to the house, I bought this baby. Sansui QRX-9001, upgrading my 7001. What a beautiful unit! I'm actually in love. ♥

For the first time in many years, I have CD-4 that's almost perfect, too. (My 7001 and a JVC 4DD-5 always seemed to have some issues.)

One question for the group. The tape 1 input is a strange 5 pin input/output. Do they make any adapters for that?

Attachments

• PXL_20201015_155243608.jpg
    PXL_20201015_155243608.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 128
  • PXL_20201014_224202436.jpg
    PXL_20201014_224202436.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 122
  • PXL_20201014_224146057.jpg
    PXL_20201014_224146057.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 121
  • PXL_20201016_024102511.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20201016_024102511.NIGHT.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 120
One question for the group. The tape 1 input is a strange 5 pin input/output. Do they make any adapters for that?
Nothing strange about it, it is a standard DIN connector, ghastly things but very widely used back in the day. Adapters are commonly available and dirt cheap e.g.
din.JPG

Didn't go anywhere this year and might not be able to travel much of next year either, so besides doing some upgrades to the house, I bought this baby. Sansui QRX-9001, upgrading my 7001. What a beautiful unit! I'm actually in love. ♥

For the first time in many years, I have CD-4 that's almost perfect, too. (My 7001 and a JVC 4DD-5 always seemed to have some issues.)

Congratulations on the new addition to the family! What shape is it in? Has it been reliably over hauled? But sheesh Boo Boo. The 9001 dwarfs the 7001 which is already pretty big.

Last edited:
Congratulations on the new addition to the family! What shape is it in? Has it been reliably over hauled? But sheesh Boo Boo. The 9001 dwarfs the 7001 which is already pretty big.
I sucked it up and bought it from the QRX Restore. It wasn't that much more than stuff on eBay and I figured it's much more reliable.

You likely need to get the instructions for that connector from the Sansui manual. I don't think its a "generic" connection.

You likely need to get the instructions for that connector from the Sansui manual. I don't think its a "generic" connection.
It is a generic connection that's the whole point. There are defined configurations when the plug is used for various applications - tape recorder interconnection being one of them. Just look them up. It's what google's for.

DIN connectors were common on European equipment. They were actually a very good idea, one cable for record and play on a tape deck. A single cable for other stereo uses. Even turntables had DIN connectors.

Looks like it leads to a stereo cassette deck in that drawing. DIN five pin has stereo in and out nothing listed in goog for quad.

DIN connector - Wikipedia
Going by the photo on your first post as it is grouped in the 2-Channel section its not Quad only stereo so L & R in (play) and L & R out (Rec)
1602882793922.png

Going by the photo on your first post as it is grouped in the 2-Channel section its not Quad only stereo so L & R in (play) and L & R out (Rec)
View attachment 58052

Also I see the DIN jack is labeled TAPE-1 & next to it is TAPE-1 with RCA jacks. Is this redundant? Maybe just use the RCA not DIN?

Also I see the DIN jack is labeled TAPE-1 & next to it is TAPE-1 with RCA jacks. Is this redundant? Maybe just use the RCA not DIN?
They're probably just wired in parallel rather than separate ports, so I'd use the RCA as you suggest - better connector anyway.

In my young and foolish youth I hate to think how many times I burnt my fingers soldering [expletive] DINs, and also how many I melted attempting to!

They're probably just wired in parallel rather than separate ports, so I'd use the RCA as you suggest - better connector anyway.

In my young and foolish youth I hate to think how many times I burnt my fingers soldering [expletive] DINs, and also how many I melted attempting to!

My 1st experiance with DIN jack/plugs was on my Integrex Ambisonic decoder. Naturally I had to make custom length cables & it was horrid experience. On the plus side I see how the DIN hook up minimized incorrect plug ins & consolidated the cables somewhat. Sort of a pre-historic HDMI...

My 1st experiance with DIN jack/plugs was on my Integrex Ambisonic decoder. Naturally I had to make custom length cables & it was horrid experience. On the plus side I see how the DIN hook up minimized incorrect plug ins & consolidated the cables somewhat. Sort of a pre-historic HDMI...
Don't let Chucky see the mention of the H*** acronym :ROFLMAO:

Back