Comments Inspired by Lennon, John - GIMME SOME TRUTH (Ultimate Remixes) [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to say at this point, when the volume is adjusted and it sounds right, my biggest issue with this collection is that it leaves such a taste for more. The two tracks from Rock'n'Roll are just such a tease. And everything else for that matter. Why not just release everything in surround and be done, it's just not right. I mean, some albums are almost fully here anyway. Ugh.

Also surprised some things are just not here at all. And thinking maybe it's because they're "too political" or maybe not politically correct enough, which I did not expect from Yoko at all. But anyway, have to be thankful for what we do have I suppose.

I have to say at this point, when the volume is adjusted and it sounds right, my biggest issue with this collection is that it leaves such a taste for more. The two tracks from Rock'n'Roll are just such a tease. And everything else for that matter. Why not just release everything in surround and be done, it's just not right. I mean, some albums are almost fully here anyway. Ugh.

Also surprised some things are just not here at all. And thinking maybe it's because they're "too political" or maybe not politically correct enough, which I did not expect from Yoko at all. But anyway, have to be thankful for what we do have I suppose.
For me, the biggest void is what wasn't included from Sometime In NYC. Only Angela made the cut from that album.

At least the early singles like Power, Karma and Cold Turkey made it on.

For me, the biggest void is what wasn't included from Sometime In NYC. Only Angela made the cut from that album.

At least the early singles like Power, Karma and Cold Turkey made it on.

Yeah, that's what I meant. It's their most overtly political album, and while not the most popular there are quite a few missing masterpieces on it, and much more is needed to tell the full story. So these omissions are kind of mind boggling, considering Yoko was helming this release.

And they left off the "Hit Single" with the controversial title and lyric. I wonder if they made a 5.1 of that song then decided not to use it?

And what about that track from "Life with the Lions"? You know, it's called "Two Minutes Silence". Would have been great in 5.1 ;)

Lions.jpg

Last edited:
And they left off the "Hit Single" with the controversial title and lyric. I wonder if they made a 5.1 of that song then decided not to use it?

And what about that track from "Life with the Lions"? You know, it's called "Two Minutes of Silence". Would have been great in 5.1

Yeah. I was wondering if they actually have surround remixes of everything at this point and just decided to put out a collection. Not sure why they would, but so much IS in here, that it's just strange they didn't do everything.

Yeah. I was wondering if they actually have surround remixes of everything at this point and just decided to put out a collection. Not sure why they would, but so much IS in here, that it's just strange they didn't do everything.

Well, you have to believe that "Plastic Ono Band" is all done and ready to be released since it was supposed to come out this year but the bigs wanted a career spanning set released instead. I would be we see that POB set next year.

I was a sceptic when I heard about this because I was underwhelmed with the Imagine set but this release proved me wrong. I really like this although as much as I like Lennon some of this material doesn't hold up well for me. The interesting thing is some of the albums that I never owned specifically Mind Games and Walls & Bridges have some nice tracks that I wasn't familiar with and even some that I'm very familiar with sound new again. Before I made my purchase I'd read reviews elsewhere where they said they didn't like the mixes or overall sound but I'm really enjoying this and only wish that I felt this good about the Imagine box.
Sounds like your impression of the Imagine Box Set is about the same quality of the Sgt. Peppers......would I be correct in that assumption?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like your impression of the Imagine Box Set is about the same quality of the Sgt. Peppers......would I be correct in that assumption?

My first impression of SGT PEPPER [BD~A] was HATE. Then I adjusted the volume on my system and everything fell into place. Imagine and Pepper are NOT, repeat NOT, heavy metal albums which have to be played at ridiculously high volumes and when you adjust the volume to 'respectabe' levels EVERYTHING FALLS INTO PLACE.

And your EARS will thank you for it!👂

My first impression of SGT PEPPER [BD~A] was HATE. Then I adjusted the volume on my system and everything fell into place. Imagine and Pepper are NOT, repeat NOT, heavy metal albums which have to be played at ridiculously high volumes and when you adjust the volume to 'respectabe' levels EVERYTHING FALLS INTO PLACE.

And your EARS will thank you for it!👂
Thanks TEX!!! 🤣 🤣 🤣 ;););):):):)

...I am new to ATMOS so the reason for the 9, I am hoping for that wild surround music experience, that I might not find until I pop a BD-V HD Atmos movie in the tray.

Movies is where it's at. But as you are experiencing, ATMOS, by and large, provides a larger, more immersive sound field for music.

And what about that track from "Life with the Lions"? You know, it's called "Two Minutes Silence". Would have been great in 5.1 ;)

View attachment 57806
I was hoping for the Nutopian National Anthem.

Wasn't that sure about buying this, though I finally did. Not going to participate in this poll because I have decided I am just not a big enough fan of Lennon's post-Beatles career to give this the time and listening sufficient, even braving possible bed sores, to properly evaluate. I do enjoy most of his "hits" with the exception of "Whatever Gets You Through the Night," and maybe one or two others. My guess is all the Beatles' main songwriters underestimated how difficult life would be without the other geniuses to help them finish and arrange their songs, hence the erratic song quality most of them seemed to have experienced solo. I did find one or two interesting moments, for example "Every Man Has a Woman Who Loves Him" could have been a Talking Heads song with just some minor tweaks. Overall I wasn't terribly impressed with the surround experience after one listen so I emerged from that thinking 7-ish or 8-ish for the Atmos versions. Like the Imagine set, I can see my listening dropping off to zero when I start to think "I really should play it more but there's not a lot of songs I like; I will have to open the box, find the blu ray, get it out, put the box somewhere, don't lose the stuff inside, put the disc in the player, start it, set it to Atmos, restart it...." Definitely a problem I won't be asking the government to solve, but still your brain builds up these little obstacles....and then you just put in another artist's disc and hit play.

High points for me were: Imagine, #9 Dream, Oh Yoko, Starting Over, Woman, Watching the Wheels, Nobody Told Me, and the afore-mentioned Every Man Has a Woman Who Loves Him. And Happy Xmas.

I wish Paul McCartney was focusing on 5.1 mixes for his Archive series. But maybe not. Beatles 5.1s have been a little spotty and his surrounds of Band on the Run and Venus/Mars are unsatisfying.

This is a great gift for John Lennon fans, and for those folks I could not be happier! The surround doesn't add much to the impact of the music, but the resulting increased fidelity given the recordings is well worth it.
You need to get “The McCartney Years” DVD... some excellent surround mixes!

I get what 4-earwonder's saying about Pepper & Imagine but I think they were a missed opportunity. This new re-mix isn't a multichannel roller-coaster ride like some of the old 4-channel mixes, yes it's active but also subtle. I didn't hear anything that was over the top instead it was totally immersive which is why it's so nice to listen to. When I hear a song that I'm familiar with and I get a this kind of treatment it's like hearing it for the first time but better. I realize that Pepper was difficult because of what Giles had to work with but it's bland compared this one. And as for Imagine I get what they were trying to do and it is a has a very nice soundstage but when you compare those tracks with the ones on this new one I hear what could have been done I would choose these hands down. Since when does Heavy Metal have to have to be played at ridiculously high volume and for that matter there's lots of genres that I enjoy playing at high volume including Pepper & Imagine. To each his own. BTW musicmemmorabilliashoppellc isn't your avatar someone from Manowar?

Last edited:
I get what 4-earwonder's saying about Pepper & Imagine but I think they were a missed opportunity. This new re-mix isn't a multichannel roller-coaster ride like some of the old 4-channel mixes, yes it's active but also subtle. I didn't hear anything that was over the top instead it was totally immersive which is why it's so nice to listen to. When I hear a song that I'm familiar with and I get a this kind of treatment it's like hearing it for the first time but better. I realize that Pepper was difficult because of what Giles had to work with but it's bland compared this one. And as for Imagine I get what they were trying to do and it is a has a very nice soundstage but when you compare those tracks with the ones on this new one I hear what could have been done I would choose these hands down. Since when does Heavy Metal have to have to be played at ridiculously high volume and for that matter there's lots of genres that I enjoy playing at high volume including Pepper & Imagine. To each his own. BTW musicmemmorabilliashoppellc isn't your avatar someone from Manowar?
The Pepper issue was a balance problem. Adjust the real level up by 3-5dB and that album became pretty good on most of the tracks (unfortunately not all).

I do not think Imagine was missed opportunity. Check out those raw studio mixes. Its like the material was mixed 2 ways. Conservative and aggressive.

Heavy Metal??? The Beatles????

The Pepper issue was a balance problem. Adjust the real level up by 3-5dB and that album became pretty good on most of the tracks (unfortunately not all).

I do not think Imagine was missed opportunity. Check out those raw studio mixes. Its like the material was mixed 2 ways. Conservative and aggressive.

Heavy Metal??? The Beatles????
Compare the poll on this new one to Pepper.
If I have to adjust my system to make it sound correct than something's wrong. I don't have to do that with properly mixed discs.
Are you saying I compared The Beatles to Heavy Metal?

Compare the poll on this new one to Pepper.
Ok, As of the time I write this, Pepper has 129 votes with a weighted rank of 8.31. Gimme some truth has only 17 votes with a rank of 9.47, including several 10s in there from Atmos fanboys that seem to vote 10's on anything Atmos. Come talk to me when the Lennon Release has 129 votes, if it ever gets there. There will be additional low votes coming for it once everyone lives with it for a while. You can pretty much bet on it.

If I have to adjust my system to make it sound correct than something's wrong. I don't have to do that with properly mixed discs.
Fair enough. But also consider that there are a fair number of members here who adjust rear levels for every release based on what they hear. There are also those who will rip this music and adjust levels permanently on their ripped copy. All I'm saying is the Pepper mix is not a total disaster by any means. There seems to be a trend with Beatles albums and these Lennon albums where the rear channels are kept lower than they should be. Though Abbey Road didn't have that problem, and the White Album was better in that respect than Pepper was.

Are you saying I compared The Beatles to Heavy Metal?
That's what your post looked like to me. If you didn't, I'm glad because they aren't. And I apologize if I took somethin out of context.

And I apologize to everyone else for rambling through this discussion in a poll thread where it really has no business being.

I have listened to every track now. There is nothing wrong with my system, I have made sure every element is the best it can be right now. I am disapointed, but I expected no better. Many tracks are double stereo. Very few discrete moments. Bass is way too overpowering on several songs. Ceiling speakers barely used. Listen to cold Turkey. Why not have the guitars discretely in rears, instead of in double stereo? Imagine has double stereo, or multi channel stereo piano. I would have put piano in rears, with strings back behind, mic/room/ambience above, bass, drums and vicals in front. These are not difficult tracks to mix. Very simple. Yes it gets better towards end, but still not great.

This set sounds like it has been mixed by an engineer with very little surround experience, and no Atmos experience. This is of course the case! Sorry but I never express anything but the truth as I feel it. No need to sugar coat to appease people.
Sounds like you gave us the truth. (see what I did there). As much of a Lennon fan as I am, I didn't buy this (not yet anyway). I was afraid it would be a lackluster mix (based on the Imagine official studio mixes) and the track selection. I'm going to wait for a price drop.

Back