Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watched the latest of Fargo tonight with a Jazz Band playing Moanin' in a club :unsure:
...it was supposed to be 1950 :cautious:
don't believe the album was even recorded until fitty eight 🤨

ABJM.jpg

i received my copy this morning but haven't played it yet, i thought there was no 5.1 on there?

I also received my copy today. There is definitely a surround mix on the DVD. However, it is only Dolby Digital 5.1 and the compression artefacts are very apparent. The DVD also has LPCM stereo 16 bit/48 KHz audio. Comparing with the CD today, the CD sounds better to me.

Why would they release without a lossless 5.1 mix?

I also received my copy today. There is definitely a surround mix on the DVD. However, it is only Dolby Digital 5.1 and the compression artefacts are very apparent. The DVD also has LPCM stereo 16 bit/48 KHz audio. Comparing with the CD today, the CD sounds better to me.

Sans lossless is unfortunate--and the edition is apparently sold out. Welcome to the QQ queue! Stay Surrounded, Comrade!

maybe BD would have blown the budget? or perhaps the DVD authoring folk(s) could only deliver Dolby Digital? afaik there's only one house offering DVD-Audio to clients these days, Opus.

the Stereo was mastered by Simon Heyworth, a man who really knows his onions.. if he didn't also do the 5.1 it is bound to sound different (and potentially, "worse" without those legendary ears) the codec shouldn't influence the overall sound that much but i guess it is possible?

Sans lossless is unfortunate--and the edition is apparently sold out. Welcome to the QQ queue! Stay Surrounded, Comrade!

i honestly think a bit too much is maybe made of the lossless thing sometimes. yes, lossless is absolutely preferable but mastering and source i find have a greater influence on the sound. maybe i'm just getting (loss)less fussy in my middle age.. and probably going deaf! 😂

Welcome to the forum :hi but keep in mind there are a LOT of excellent sounding DD surround titles..don't get caught up in the metrics...just saying

i honestly think a bit too much is maybe made of the lossless thing sometimes. yes, lossless is absolutely preferable but mastering and source i find have a greater influence on the sound. maybe i'm just getting (loss)less fussy in my middle age.. and probably going deaf! 😂

Mastering and source are more important than the "metrics....there is this guy...his name is Eliot Scheiner...he made a living with DD surround titles

Mastering and source are more important than the "metrics....there is this guy...his name is Eliot Scheiner...he made a living with DD surround titles

not sure if Scheiner is the best example?
if you take his whole surround career he's somewhat format agnostic, his 5.1 mixing work has been issued every which way; BD, DTS CD, SACD, DVD-A, DVD-V, DualDisc..

he started out with lossy DTS because that was all there was at the time but soon began championing DVD-Audio and as we know eventually became one of its biggest proponents with his ELS Acura system.

that said, how often did even top man Scheiner get a say in which format his 5.1 work should be delivered in? probably not as often as we might think... 🤔

where were we?
oh yeah, i'm really enjoying this new Rick Wakeman! Arsia Mons is a MONS-TAH..!! 🥳🤩😝

Welcome to the forum :hi but keep in mind there are a LOT of excellent sounding DD surround titles..don't get caught up in the metrics...just saying

Thanks for the welcome. Actually, I am a longtime lurker so not exactly new but it was my first post :)

My ears are not what they used to be (I have a considerable notch at around 4 kHz) but the compression artefacts on straight DD 5.1 sound pretty horrible to me. I am listening on reasonably high-end equipment though. The music is great though.

Thanks for the welcome. Actually, I am a longtime lurker so not exactly new but it was my first post :)

My ears are not what they used to be (I have a considerable notch at around 4 kHz) but the compression artefacts on straight DD 5.1 sound pretty horrible to me. I am listening on reasonably high-end equipment though. The music is great though.

I'm not familiar with this title...but I'm just saying to not rule out something solely because it's in DD..

Back