A Sunday with Involve

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Brent

300 Club - QQ All-Star
This Sunday - at 9 (am or pm, we can't make up our minds, but it is NYC time); we go back to the multi-track masters of some of the great pop hits of the 1980s, and do our own remix - mixing them to surround sound for the first time. Then, we use a little device from Down Under called the Surround Master encoder from Involve Audio to take these new surround mixes, and encode them for broadcast. They sound great in Stereo - especially through headphones, but if your sound system is equipped with a Dolby PLII setting (and especially if you have 4 or more ears) - you get the full force of sitting in with the band!
http://radiomaxmusic.com/popup.html
this is rmm.jpg

This Sunday - at 9 (am or pm, we can't make up our minds, but it is NYC time); we go back to the multi-track masters of some of the great pop hits of the 1980s, and do our own remix - mixing them to surround sound for the first time. Then, we use a little device from Down Under called the Surround Master encoder from Involve Audio to take these new surround mixes, and encode them for broadcast. They sound great in Stereo - especially through headphones, but if your sound system is equipped with a Dolby PLII setting (and especially if you have 4 or more ears) - you get the full force of sitting in with the band!
View attachment 58427
Great idea Bill, and for those of us that actually have a nice decoder, like a Tri-Band Surround Master (shameless fan plug!) even better! (y)

we go back to the multi-track masters of some of the great pop hits of the 1980s, and do our own remix - mixing them to surround sound for the first time.

This pretty amazing! I can't help but wonder who are the artist's & how in the world did you get multi-track originals? Since quad was dead by the 80's this time period would be a windfall to convert to surround. I'm hoping for a bit of techno-pop from that time period.

And I hope on show you go into the history & details on the project. Morning or evening (do let us know) I'm making an appointment for this one.

This pretty amazing! I can't help but wonder who are the artist's & how in the world did you get multi-track originals? Since quad was dead by the 80's this time period would be a windfall to convert to surround. I'm hoping for a bit of techno-pop from that time period.
Surround Master encoder board from Involve Audio :)

And I hope on show you go into the history & details on the project. Morning or evening (do let us know) I'm making an appointment for this one.
It's both am and a repeat at night. The playlist is quite varied as I cover 10 years. We have blondie Devo, run dmc, Madonna, Huey Lewis, Van Halen, Michael Jackson; I tried to make it as much of a mixed bag as possible. Hard to fit 10 years into 3 hours -did the best I could with 35 songs.
Thanks

View attachment 58427
Hey Bill

Thank you for that!

A few dumb questions.

How does the listener know when surround stuff is being broadcast?

How do they know its in encoded in Involve format?

You mention that it can be played back with Dolby- true but could you also mention Involve decode somehow.

Regards

Chucky

Might also be a good idea to go through the ways to actually get to your station on various systems.

As an example, on my old Sansui QRX-8001, I’ve run a long headphone cord with a stereo splitter at the end of the cord-from my main computer (or laptop) to the left and right inputs of the Surround Master, and on to the Quad inputs to the Sansui.

On my newer main system at the other end of the house; I don’t have a Surround Master (SM2) for, I’ll need to try the Squeezebox I have connected via Digital Coaxial to an input on my old Marantz SR8500. Just need to find the station on the Squeezebox. And on those types of older Receivers, it’s good to try the various types like Dolby Pro Logic, DTS, and other codecs.

What I’d really like to see Bill do also, is perhaps have an app on ROKU that accesses his station (there’s already other regular non- Quad stations on there) which I run via HDMI input on the back of my Oppo and that goes analog out to my Marantz (no HDMI inputs)

Lots of ways to skin the feline; other ways mentioned would be welcome; as I’m sure newer Receivers probably have direct capabilities for internet connections.

Might also be a good idea to go through the ways to actually get to your station on various systems.

As an example, on my old Sansui QRX-8001, I’ve run a long headphone cord with a stereo splitter at the end of the cord-from my main computer (or laptop) to the left and right inputs of the Surround Master, and on to the Quad inputs to the Sansui.

On my newer main system at the other end of the house; I don’t have a Surround Master (SM2) for, I’ll need to try the Squeezebox I have connected via Digital Coaxial to an input on my old Marantz SR8500. Just need to find the station on the Squeezebox. And on those types of older Receivers, it’s good to try the various types like Dolby Pro Logic, DTS, and other codecs.

What I’d really like to see Bill do also, is perhaps have an app on ROKU that accesses his station (there’s already other regular non- Quad stations on there) which I run via HDMI input on the back of my Oppo and that goes analog out to my Marantz (no HDMI inputs)

Lots of ways to skin the feline; other ways mentioned would be welcome; as I’m sure newer Receivers probably have direct capabilities for internet connections.

Listening right now- don’t have the Involve magic box ( yet 😊) but much more basic setup here: 3.5 mm jack from laptop to aux L and R rca inputs on my QRX-9001 in QS surround mode- WOWIE- at least to these ears 👍🏻👌🏻✔️🎼

Listening right now- don’t have the Involve magic box ( yet 😊) but much more basic setup here: 3.5 mm jack from laptop to aux L and R rca inputs on my QRX-9001 in QS surround mode- WOWIE- at least to these ears 👍🏻👌🏻🎼
That sounds like a great way to do it also.
I actually believe it will sound better if you stay closer to the actual Quad like QS on these older systems or through a Surround Master and analog out to those newer receivers.

It's both am and a repeat at night. The playlist is quite varied as I cover 10 years. We have blondie Devo, run dmc, Madonna, Huey Lewis, Van Halen, Michael Jackson; I tried to make it as much of a mixed bag as possible. Hard to fit 10 years into 3 hours -did the best I could with 35 songs.
Thanks
Bill- this sounds AMAZING!!!! Thank you sooo much. Just thrilling to hear these 80s standards in this remixed format. Dare we ask if it could be a regularly-scheduled show??

Hey Bill

Thank you for that!

A few dumb questions.

How does the listener know when surround stuff is being broadcast?

How do they know its in encoded in Involve format?

You mention that it can be played back with Dolby- true but could you also mention Involve decode somehow.

Regards

Chucky
Hi

this was the generic "ad" I put out on facebook and here - then the station puts it out on twitter and something called world press - and naturally they run promos during the week. At the beginning of the show and occasionally throughout I remind them that these "exclusive new mixes" are presented in surround sound.
I'm prep'ing a volume 2 (hopefully for next week - have about 1/2 the mixes done) - and I'll go into more about the surround aspect (and Involve).
I mentioned plII because most home systems seem to have it, and didn't want to scare off potential listeners thinking they needed some specialized equipment.
All the best - stay safe!

Back