Amazon made corporation with Warner and Universal!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't get how Amazon doesn't have a HDMI In/Out box to stream this stuff to people's already superior sound systems. I get they are trying to listen in to people lives get the everyday person subscribed, but they are missing out on an actual demographic that enjoys quality. I guess we are just too small to care and Atmos is seeming more and more like a marketing buzz word than trying to push the limits of 3D audio.

i'm totally out of the loop with all this Atmos type stuff, so forgive the potentially stupid question! is there no way to get any of Amazon's Sony 360RA and Atmos music offerings on another device apart from that cube thing, like a "Firestick" or whatever it is?

that's a lot of music to miss out on...
That occurs to me...

You know what though? I have music sitting around here I haven't ever listened to. I think I'm fine skipping something if the people involved want to associate themselves with something as disgusting as what Amazon has become. I should be spending more time behind the mixing board working than slacking off and listening anyway.

I don't even want to do something like pirate their stuff. I really don't want it near me!

i'm totally out of the loop with all this Atmos type stuff, so forgive the potentially stupid question! is there no way to get any of Amazon's Sony 360RA and Atmos music offerings on another device apart from that cube thing, like a "Firestick" or whatever it is?

The only way (as yet) to play the immersive stuff on Amazon Music HD is through their Echo Studio. 🤷‍♂️ Which is only one speaker so not anywhere close to immersive. 😀 Hopefully they will role out to other devices soon?!

Most of the Atmos stuff is also on Tidal though and that can be streamed in 'proper' Atmos (albeit lossy) from an Apple TV 4K, Firestick 4K etc... Amazon have announced a few exclusive albums like Hybrid Theory, Wildflowers and Ramones which aren't. But they also listed Gregory Porter - All Rise as an exclusive which is on Tidal anyway?! Comprende?! It's a bit all over the place to be honest. 🤣 I'd imagine anything listed exclusive is actually only for a specific period?

A few of the albums like John Lennon, R.E.M, Booka Shade have come out on Blu Ray Audio as well.

Nothing at the mo plays the Sony360RA properly. But there's some good old quads possibly lined in the 360 section for when Sony get their arse in gear. Apparently Sony played some stuff a while back at CES with a proper discrete rigged up system... But it's a brand new codec so might not be playable on any current hardware. 🤡

The only way (as yet) to play the immersive stuff on Amazon Music HD is through their Echo Studio. 🤷‍♂️ Which is only one speaker so not anywhere close to immersive. 😀 Hopefully they will role out to other devices soon?!

Most of the Atmos stuff is also on Tidal though and that can be streamed in 'proper' Atmos (albeit lossy) from an Apple TV 4K, Firestick 4K etc... Amazon have announced a few exclusive albums like Hybrid Theory, Wildflowers and Ramones which aren't. But they also listed Gregory Porter - All Rise as an exclusive which is on Tidal anyway?! Comprende?! It's a bit all over the place to be honest. 🤣 I'd imagine anything listed exclusive is actually only for a specific period?

A few of the albums like John Lennon, R.E.M, Booka Shade have come out on Blu Ray Audio as well.

Nothing at the mo plays the Sony360RA properly. But there's some good old quads possibly lined in the 360 section for when Sony get their arse in gear. Apparently Sony played some stuff a while back at CES with a proper discrete rigged up system... But it's a brand new codec so might not be playable on any current hardware. 🤡

thanks for the clarification 🤗

360RA needs decoding?
great, just what we need a brand new codec in need of yet another proprietary decoder! 😂

think i'll sit this one out 'til everyone involved's got their arses in gear and if i miss stuff along the way so be it 👍

Thanks for that review, Mr. S. With regard to the "exclusivity" issue: as you say, there's already a fair amount of higher-res UMe and Warner content--including Atmos tracks & albums--on Tidal. I'm not sure how this new batch of material relates to the first batch (of--allegedly--thousands of Atmos tracks) announced a year ago, with great fanfare. If I'm remembering right, these were also exclusive to Amazon HD Music for the first couple of months. Tidal got them next, limited, at first, to Tidal for Android and Atmos for headphones. It was only in late April that Atmos on Tidal was expanded to selected AppleTV and Amazon Fire devices, which finally gave us a way to get that content to our AVRs.

If the only way to decode and listen to Atmos is on crude portable lo-fi devices like the Amazon Echo... well, none of those listeners will ever notice stuff like the mastering disaster to end all mastering disasters that happened with the Lennon bluray that just came out! :D

So what is the music listener supposed to think when you normally listen to stereo and surround on a reference quality system, and the demo for the "new and improved" 3D system squeaks out of this little Echo lo-fi distortion box kind of stuff?

It does look like there are some industry players that want to just shut this down and relegate it to be another worthless lo-fi consumer movie device. Really a shame to watch this happen. Maybe it can eventually be liberated and we can make some independent mixes for the system. Take it over and play with it in our little corner. 4 corners? 16 corners?

Thanks for that review, Mr. S. With regard to the "exclusivity" issue: as you say, there's already a fair amount of higher-res UMe and Warner content--including Atmos tracks & albums--on Tidal. I'm not sure how this new batch of material relates to the first batch (of--allegedly--thousands of Atmos tracks) announced a year ago, with great fanfare. If I'm remembering right, these were also exclusive to Amazon HD Music for the first couple of months. Tidal got them next, limited, at first, to Tidal for Android and Atmos for headphones. It was only in late April that Atmos on Tidal was expanded to selected AppleTV and Amazon Fire devices, which finally gave us a way to get that content to our AVRs.

[Sorry for the duplicate post. I had the draft open in two different tabs!]

All this news is coming out and every year it's all doom and gloom, and at the same time we just had an amazing, if not one of the best seasons in terms of releases. So in the end of the day, if they're actually remixing things in Atmos this is good news guys. They clearly don't have the delivery portion down yet, but they will eventually. I'm sure they don't want to miss out on any of us, we're the demographic for this after all.

FWIW, I have no interest whatsoever in this. I do not want to stream my music off of someone else's server, and lose it at their whim. I want PCM digital recordings in some standard format (such as flac) on my server. I'll be happy to pay a fair price in the unlikely event that they choose to offer it. Otherwise I'll just ignore the whole thing. Unless, you know, they release Elliot Scheiner's completed mix of Pretzel Logic.

Oh yeah? Then I'm adding Warner and Universal to my boycott list.

Im boycotting Amazon, Walmart, Sams club...they all want too much control, want the robots AI n to end human workers...f**k em all

I want to know WHO is gonna consume when no one will have jobs or $$$ to buy stuff...hope they pay their robots n drones well.

There is NO way in hell there will ever be a echo or alexia anywhere near my house let alone in it

Stream this ...big middle finger

Back