Life in Surround - Surround Music Review and Discussion YouTube Channel

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couldn't agree more with the review of the Nick Mason show. I'm now avoiding Roger Waters' efforts as I'm a bit fed up with the overall morose feeling. Nick Mason is Pink Floyd with a smile on its face.
Thanks man. This has turned out to be one of my most controversial videos in a while. I knew I'd take some heat for criticizing Roger's show.
Nobody's gotten TOO nasty, but I've been accused of being politically motivated in my assessment, disrespectful to Roger, etc... Oh well!

One on the many things I enjoy about Life in Surround is your honest unbiased reviews. I feel you call it as you see it or better yet hear it.
I personally would not purchase Us or Them think there are much better Pink Floyd live music out there and I can take or leave Waters solo work. Being able to share your views on your channel is important and if you take heat for your reviews means people are engaged and listening.
I liked the comparison and review thought it was interesting way to showcase both CDs Mike.

Fish - Weltschmerz Review

Excellent review, Mike.

I’m totally blown away by this release. Having never really been a Marillion fan, this is effectively my first real exposure to Fish. I’m sorta bummed to understand this is his last album, because it’s beyond impressive on all fronts:presentation, music, lyrics, vocals, performance, fidelity & mix. It’s an extremely poignant and heartfelt.

I only disagree with you about the length of this amazing double album. Everytime I listen to it I’m left wanting more!

Thanks man. This has turned out to be one of my most controversial videos in a while. I knew I'd take some heat for criticizing Roger's show.
Nobody's gotten TOO nasty, but I've been accused of being politically motivated in my assessment, disrespectful to Roger, etc... Oh well!
I’m a huge fan of Roger and mostly his politics but he can certainly be criticized for his performances especially as he ages. I didn’t think there was anything about your review of “Us and Them” that belied anything other than disappointment in the performance. His political stances can be polarizing and flavor too much of the criticism I generally see I do not think yours was amongst them.

Excellent review, Mike.

I’m totally blown away by this release. Having never really been a Marillion fan, this is effectively my first real exposure to Fish. I’m sorta bummed to understand this is his last album, because it’s beyond impressive on all fronts:presentation, music, lyrics, vocals, performance, fidelity & mix. It’s an extremely poignant and heartfelt.

I only disagree with you about the length of this amazing double album. Everytime I listen to it I’m left wanting more!
I would agree. After he left Marillion, I never bought a Fish album. This release should be up for album of the year.

I liked it so much, based on recommendations from others on QQ, I went back to the Fish site and ordered two stereo albums that are supposedly in a similar vein.

I would agree. After he left Marillion, I never bought a Fish album. This release should be up for album of the year.

I liked it so much, based on recommendations from others on QQ, I went back to the Fish site and ordered two stereo albums that are supposedly in a similar vein.
I've heard most of his catalog on Tidal. Feast and 13th Star really do it for me.

Putting this here for posterity:
Roger Waters - Us + Them/Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets Comparison video:

Just going back through a couple of these that I missed and really loved this video. I agree with it completely.

Roger is really good at his visuals. I will always say that his Wall shows are the best visual shows I will ever see. I'm glad that I went 6 times to see it (I never want to listen to The Wall ever again...). The Battersea portion and the prism at the end on this release were well done and spectacular in person. The trade off for that is unfortunately, the music and audio seem very hollow and robotic because they are tied so heavily to a click track. Nothing can really be fleshed out. I am more of an audio guy, so it was definitely more of a miss overall. Felt like I was listening to Brit Floyd or some other PF cover band honestly. I'll probably only go back to this one to watch the two Animals songs.

Nick's release was just refreshing in so many ways. The early years are sadly forgotten and to me, that is their most interesting material. Hearing him do Set The Controls (The best version I have heard live), Atom Heart Mother and Saucerful were awesome. The final part of that track gives me goosebumps. The only let down to me were the tracks i've heard Gilmour do live! There is just something about that man that is magical. I'll go back to this one a bit more because everything is not overplayed and its just a more fun concert to watch. Sometimes Gary and Lee are dopey, but they are genuinely having fun and enjoying what they do.

What did you think of Gilmour's Live At Pompeii?

At the end of the day, it is really great that we have a solid live release from all the surviving members in hi-res and surround.

I ordered Feast and Raingods. I didn't see 13th star (maybe I missed it?). Didn't see Vigil (definitely wasn't there).

Both are out of print but Fish's next project once the album cycle has run its course is working on getting them out again. He doesn't control the rights to Vigil but 13th is all his.

Last edited:
Isn't that basically what it is? My biggest problem with the Us+Them show was the vocalist who did the Gilmour parts.
To me, Yes. He's barely playing (and live singing) anymore and he just doesn't employ the right people to me. I have issues with the whole band, but that vocalist wasn't great either. The guy they had on the Wall shows was a bit better, but not much. Roger is a fantastic songwriter and lyricist, but as soon as he has to musically perform, it just misses completely to me. Luckily the visuals are there to distract and justify the ticket price.

Back