SQ Shadow Vector Soundfield Mapping

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chucky, oops, it would be neat to hear both the 4 and 5 channel decode. Thanks again
Working towards it, give us a few days....... Logistical/ equipment problem. Alternatively have you thought about an evaluation Sq involve decoder kit..... It's $100??

Any comments (good or bad) would be greatly appreciated.
I've listened to the samples and it sounds like you are almost there, on the intro to Change the World there is something going on with logic/attack(I dont know how to refer to it in software terms) which is causing the position of the vocals to shift slightly during attack. There is some leakage/volume increase of the front vocals in the rear just for the first millisecond/during attack but after the attack has occurred vocals get corrected. On the Tate, the leakage is always at minimum(like yours after vocals get corrected post-attack) and their position is solid. I would say that if the attack/steering could be made smoother it would be close to Tate.

I've listened to the samples and it sounds like you are almost there, on the intro to Change the World there is something going on with logic/attack(I dont know how to refer to it in software terms) which is causing the position of the vocals to shift slightly during attack. There is some leakage/volume increase of the front vocals in the rear just for the first millisecond/during attack but after the attack has occurred vocals get corrected. On the Tate, the leakage is always at minimum(like yours after vocals get corrected post-attack) and their position is solid. I would say that if the attack/steering could be made smoother it would be close to Tate.
Thanks for taking the time. I think we’re hearing it the same way. I am struggling with that part. I’ll find something eventually.

Working towards it, give us a few days....... Logistical/ equipment problem. Alternatively have you thought about an evaluation Sq involve decoder kit..... It's $100??
I would have purchased that months ago but I do not have the required analog inputs on my receiver. That’s a drag. Anyway, take your time. Anything is appreciated, Chucky.

Blaine

It would be nice to have an adjustment of just how much logic enhancement is being used. I would prefer to hear some constant leaking rather than hear the artifacts of the logic.

I remember hearing the effects of logic, not so much in home listening (I do not have any logic devices other than my own Autovary). I heard them in movie theaters.
I have heard image shifting in CinemaScope and Cinerama movies when the control track moved the image.

In one film (Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom) I heard the image shift as the original Pro Logic in the theater reacted to a sound placed near the left back. This does not happen when I play my DVD of the film, through Pro Logic II.

Last edited:
It would be nice to have an adjustment of just how much logic enhancement is being used. I would prefer to hear some constant leaking rather than hear the artifacts of the logic.

I remember hearing the effects of logic, not so much in home listening (I do not have any logic devices other than my own Autovary). I heard them in movie theaters.
I have heard image shifting in CinemaScope and Cinerama movies when the control track moved the image.

In one film (Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom) I heard the image shift as the original Pro Logic in the theater reacted to a sound placed near the left back. This does not happen when I play my DVD of the film, through Pro Logic II.
That's why Audionics put a Separation control on the Space and Image Composer. My original unit used the Exar chips and I was never bothered much by artifacts, they were only noticeable on some material if you listened to the back channels in isolation. I now have another unit with the original National chips and artifacts are clearly audible with certain SQ mixes. So just back off the separation a bit and things are fine.

I agree with the variable logic. Once I solve the attack/release issues I will probably do that.

Would it interest anyone if I were to port the decoder to VLC? I haven't done any coding for VLC but it seems well documented and cross-platform. Only question is if there is any interest?

Hi. BJMarsh

I admire you and your attempt to get your SQ software up and going and getting the little bugs out as well to degree of perfection, there has been a EX member of QQ how had achieved this but he has never released his final software to the public so it will go to the grave with him...

The VLC would be a grate idea for people now and for the future, software can always be improved upon when new ideas come up and techniques..
BBQ...

Hi. BJMarsh

I admire you and your attempt to get your SQ software up and going and getting the little bugs out as well to degree of perfection, there has been a EX member of QQ how had achieved this but he has never released his final software to the public so it will go to the grave with him...

The VLC would be a grate idea for people now and for the future, software can always be improved upon when new ideas come up and techniques..
BBQ...
having this work as part of VLC sounds very cool. I would love to try this out, although I must admit I am new to this thread and know very little about this approach. I need to read up.

Hi. BJMarsh

BBQ...
That’s very kind. I must give a lot of thanks to Lynn Olson & Malcom Lear. Both have been very helpful & supportive. This is a great forum!

Have now perfected SV decoding of the strange H and BHJ locus. I suspect the BBC never got close to decoding their own weird system with any accuracy, even in the digital domain its not easy.

Attachments

• System H SV Lotus.png
    System H SV Lotus.png
    103.3 KB · Views: 112
  • System BHJ SV Lotus.png
    System BHJ SV Lotus.png
    102.6 KB · Views: 111
Back