Santana - Abraxas Japanese Quad SACD Officially Announced (October 28, 2020)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why would a multinational corporation go all to the trouble of issuing something like this in overly elaborate packaging and then not print enough copies to meet demand when they literally own every step of the production process from master rights to pressing plant?

This isn't MoFi doing a single run of numbered discs, this is McDonalds telling you to come buy a "limited edition" Big Mac before they run out of hamburgers.

well Sony did a real limited edition run with all those Isley, O'Jays, etc Quad Single Layer SACD things people clamour for now, they clearly didn't make enough of them back then and they're now scarce as hen's gnashers.. but i'm sure you're right (you're bloody well right!) you usually are 😋 because i can't afford Abraxassholes this month! 🤣

Moonflower was released shortly after CBS stopped issuing quad LPs :(
Yeah I’m really bummed about that one; it’s my favorite Santana album by far. The playing on it (yes mostly live) is unreal.
And I got my Abraxas last night three days early, wonder if it’s any good- :LOL:
Also, for those ripping these 7” beauties on a Sony machine, go with the direct to flash drive method; you’ll have a better chance of avoiding that pesky center channel pop.

It was Santana's second album, released in September of 1970, so it's pretty obvious that Sony Japan will likely release all Santana's future QUADS in chronological order.

SANTANA III ~ September 1971
CARAVANSERAI ~ October 1972
LOVE, DEVOTION & SURRENDER ~ July 1973 [Santana/John McLaughlin]
WELCOME ~November 1973
BARBOLETTA ~ October 1974
AMIGOS ~ 1976
FESTIVAL ~ January 1977

so obvious that Sony released the Jeff Beck Quads on 7-inch SACD the exact same chronological way Ralphiekins?

umm.. no they did not! 🤣

a wee recap;

so we got BxB (March 2014),
- then it was years before the Orange album (June 2016, Audio Fidelity had already done the Quad in the meantime in Aug 2015)..
- then there was BBA (July 2016)..
- then Wired (Nov 2016)..
..and finally Rough & Ready (Jan 2017).

..but maybe we shouldn't let the facts get in the way of a good yarn! its fun to fantasize! 😂

My copy was just delivered and it is as great a set as all the others :SG, all I need is time now to listen to it (and the rest on the to listen to pile!) as yet more conference calls :(, and then I read Adam's post and feel guilty as I know he'd put in the player instantly.

feel the guilt.... feel it...
put down that hotline and slip in that 7-incher... do it... NOW!!!! 😈🥳🤩

so obvious that Sony released the Jeff Beck Quads on 7-inch SACD the exact same chronological way Ralphiekins?

umm.. no they did not! 🤣

a wee recap;

- then it was years before the Orange album (June 2016, Audio Fidelity had already done the Quad in the meantime in Aug 2015)..

..but maybe we shouldn't let the facts get in the way of a good yarn! its fun to fantasize! 😂
Yes, however the relatively accelerated bunched up timing is what looks similar; and hey we want ‘em all anyhow right?
But the traveling herd of camels is the one I want most.

Yes, however the relatively accelerated bunched up timing is what looks similar; and hey we want ‘em all anyhow right?
But the traveling herd of camels is the one I want most.

tbh i expect nothing.. that way i won't be disappointed when nothing happens as expected! 🤣🤪

while i'm super excited to hear the Quads of "Borboletta", "Caravanserai", "Welcome", "III", "Love Devotion, Surrender" fresh from the masters, i'm almost dreading them doing the fake Quads of "Amigos" & "Festival".. even though by the reckoning of the great Quad God Rammiepie those two jokers are approximately 11 months, 3 weeks, 18 days, 7 hours and 38 seconds away from release, i can hear the complaints already!! 🙌😬🔫👀😂

tbh i expect nothing.. that way i won't be disappointed when nothing happens as expected! 🤣🤪

while i'm super excited to hear the Quads of "Borboletta", "Caravanserai", "Welcome", "III", "Love Devotion, Surrender" fresh from the masters, i'm almost dreading them doing the fake Quads of "Amigos" & "Festival".. even though by the reckoning of the great Quad God Rammiepie those two jokers are approximately 11 months, 3 weeks, 18 days, 7 hours and 38 seconds away from release, i can hear the complaints already!! 🙌😬🔫👀😂
Sure! But any chance in hell a little more mixing to go with the mastering on those two slugs, since they do have total access?

I thought Borboletta was a little weak also?

umm.. no they did not! 🤣

a wee recap;

Well, I NEVER said I was good in MATH, Moonflower! Abraxas coincidentally was released 'almost' to the day of its 50th Anniversary and it would make sense that Santana III and Caravanserai would be next in line but rather than guesstimate:

See the source image
ああファック

Last edited:
Well, I NEVER said I was good in MATH, Moonflower! Abraxas coincidentally was released 'almost' to the day of its 50th Anniversary and it would make sense that Santana III and Caravanserai would be next in line but rather than guesstimate:

See the source image
ああファック

furry muff, Ralphiepie 😘

Back