Billy Joe Shaver - RIP

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The56Kid

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Severely saddened by the passing of my favorite singer/songwriter, Billy Joe Shaver. Billy Joe apparently died of a massive stroke today, but also had a bout with Covid over the summer, so this insidious virus continues to wreak havoc on some of our most beloved artists.

Was introduced to Billy Joe while in Austin, Texas for my father-in-law’s funeral in June, 2000. Accompanied my wife and her brother to the Saxon Pub to have a beer to breakup the prevailing sadness and had no idea who was playing that night. It was Billy Joe with a crack trio led by his son Eddy, an incomparable Texas guitar gunslinger of the highest order. I was totally blown away and had a chance to meet both Billy Joe and Eddy that evening. Sadly, Eddy succumbed to a heroin overdose on New Year’s Eve only six months later. Thereafter, I went to every Billy Joe Shaver show I could attend and he never disappointed.

For anyone interested, give a listen to Shaver - Unshaven, an amazing live album that will put it all into perspective!

Rest In Peace, Billy Joe. You deserve it!

Severely saddened by the passing of my favorite singer/songwriter, Billy Joe Shaver. Billy Joe apparently died of a massive stroke today, but also had a bout with Covid over the summer, so this insidious virus continues to wreak havoc on some of our most beloved artists.

Was introduced to Billy Joe while in Austin, Texas for my father-in-law’s funeral in June, 2000. Accompanied my wife and her brother to the Saxon Pub to have a beer to breakup the prevailing sadness and had no idea who was playing that night. It was Billy Joe with a crack trio led by his son Eddy, an incomparable Texas guitar gunslinger of the highest order. I was totally blown away and had a chance to meet both Billy Joe and Eddy that evening. Sadly, Eddy succumbed to a heroin overdose on New Year’s Eve only six months later. Thereafter, I went to every Billy Joe Shaver show I could attend and he never disappointed.

For anyone interested, give a listen to Shaver - Unshaven, an amazing live album that will put it all into perspective!

Rest In Peace, Billy Joe. You deserve it!
I live in San Antonio and have seen Billy Joe several times. One of the great Texas songwriters. Second the recommendation on the Shaver-Unshaven CD. It’s so cool how Billie Joe integrated Eddy’s guitar skills into his music. I’m just an Old Chunk of Coal (But I’m Gonna Be a Diamond Someday).

I live in San Antonio and have seen Billy Joe several times. One of the great Texas songwriters. Second the recommendation on the Shaver-Unshaven CD. It’s so cool how Billie Joe integrated Eddy’s guitar skills into his music. I’m just an Old Chunk of Coal (But I’m Gonna Be a Diamond Someday).
Howdy Steve. Lived in San Antonio 11 years myself and loved it! You’re absolutely right about how amazing it was to hear the integration of Eddy’s guitar and Billy Joe’s music. Almost like Eddy’s guitar provided a musical translation of Billy Joe’s superlative lyrics.

I first became aware of him after a Norm Macdonald podcast:

Then I listened to some of his stuff and really like it!

RIP

Back