Blue Oyster Cult "Agents of Fortune" - unreleased quad mix?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Quad Guy

Quadraphonic Preservation
Staff member
Also, Blue Oyster Cult’s “Agents of Fortune“ Quadraphonic mix exists or once did.

I had a very rare SQ record of it, that had the gold label. I only saw two copies of it. I bought one of them. It was bought at Warehouse Records when the record first came out, at the Willow Pass Road, Concord location.

I regret selling this record. But, there is hope as it seems Columbia records have maintained the Quad Masters well. I only ask that it be looked for.

The Dave Mason titles would make for a nice release.

Also, Blue Oyster Cult’s “Agents of Fortune“ Quadraphonic mix exists or once did.

I had a very rare SQ record of it, that had the gold label. I only saw two copies of it. I bought one of them. It was bought at Warehouse Records when the record first came out, at the Willow Pass Road, Concord location.

I regret selling this record. But, there is hope as it seems Columbia records have maintained the Quad Masters well. I only ask that it be looked for.

So you didn't like this MC? I don't have it and don't know how it sounds BTW.

https://www.discogs.com/Blue-Öyster-Cult-Agents-Of-Fortune/release/3366390

I think you might be suffering a bit of the Mandela effect on this one (or you owned some kind of pirate/bootleg fake) because Agents of Fortune definitely wasn't released in quad. Columbia stopped using the gold border design on their quad LPs partway through 1973, and Agents of Fortune was released at the end of May, 1976. Furthermore, a quad version of the album doesn't appear in either the 1976 or 1977 US Catalogs of Copyright Entries, which it would if it was released - anything bearing the Phonographic Copyright (p) symbol is collected in these catalogs, without exception, and every single CBS quad is in there including the faked ones like Santana's Amigos and Festival and Herbie Hancock's Secrets.

That's not to say the possibility doesn't exist that it was mixed for quad - 1976 puts it in the wheelhouse for the last quad hurrah from CBS - but in that era there are plenty of big name titles in the '76/'77 timeframe that should have (but didn't) get the quad treatment, including this one, Bruce Springsteen's Born in the USA, Return to Forever's Romantic Warrior, and Boston's self-titled debut album. I think the fact that BoC's 1975 On Your Feet or On Your Knees live album didn't get the quad treatment either suggests that the quad sales of their two previous albums probably had CBS believing that they didn't merit quad remixing anymore, and by the time Agents of Fortune took off, it was probably too late to go back and remix it for quad since it was all but dead by that point.

I’m sorry, I can’t prove I had the record. I’m just asking, if possible, if such a mix exists to the powers that be. Thank you for your consideration. Thanks.

Apologies if I was overly forceful (or overly academic!) in my reply, it's just so easy for rumors to get started (and he told two friends, and they told two friends...) so I like to try and answer them when I have substantive facts at hand.

I agree with you completely though, if there is a quad mix of AoF it's probably a real knockout and should definitely be released. That's part of the reason I've done as much research as I have, because a lot of the information about unreleased quad mixes is hidden in plain sight - in off-hand comments from producers/engineers/label bosses in old interviews, or studio work updates in trade magazines, or catalog listings for upcoming releases. My hope is that by continuing to dig, and ask people who are still around questions, is that eventually something major will be unearthed as a result. I can be a bit overly optimistic at times, but I think sooner or later something big will come to light, and this is more a case of 'when' rather than 'if'.

That's not to say the possibility doesn't exist that it was mixed for quad - 1976 puts it in the wheelhouse for the last quad hurrah from CBS - but in that era there are plenty of big name titles in the '76/'77 timeframe that should have (but didn't) get the quad treatment, including this one, Bruce Springsteen's Born in the USA, Return to Forever's Romantic Warrior, and Boston's self-titled debut album.
Did you mean Born To Run?

I think you might be suffering a bit of the Mandela effect on this one (or you owned some kind of pirate/bootleg fake) because Agents of Fortune definitely wasn't released in quad. Columbia stopped using the gold border design on their quad LPs partway through 1973, and Agents of Fortune was released at the end of May, 1976. Furthermore, a quad version of the album doesn't appear in either the 1976 or 1977 US Catalogs of Copyright Entries, which it would if it was released - anything bearing the Phonographic Copyright (p) symbol is collected in these catalogs, without exception, and every single CBS quad is in there including the faked ones like Santana's Amigos and Festival and Herbie Hancock's Secrets.

That's not to say the possibility doesn't exist that it was mixed for quad - 1976 puts it in the wheelhouse for the last quad hurrah from CBS - but in that era there are plenty of big name titles in the '76/'77 timeframe that should have (but didn't) get the quad treatment, including this one, Bruce Springsteen's Born in the USA, Return to Forever's Romantic Warrior, and Boston's self-titled debut album. I think the fact that BoC's 1975 On Your Feet or On Your Knees live album didn't get the quad treatment either suggests that the quad sales of their two previous albums probably had CBS believing that they didn't merit quad remixing anymore, and by the time Agents of Fortune took off, it was probably too late to go back and remix it for quad since it was all but dead by that point.

I came upon this today "Agents of Fortune" quad. Most likely a fake but it sure looks real. I don't think that I want to drop $200 US or more to find out. Red labels, perhaps it's a stereo version with misprinted label. The quad may have been planned and the numbers got mixed? Very cool item in any case.
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1756761632...t/ZqmzIOvCm0JMcYifDDEChQ==|tkp:Bk9SR6yWs-3rYQ

I came upon this today "Agents of Fortune" quad. Most likely a fake but it sure looks real. I don't think that I want to drop $200 US or more to find out. Red labels, perhaps it's a stereo version with misprinted label. The quad may have been planned and the numbers got mixed? Very cool item in any case.View attachment 90374View attachment 90375

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1756761632...t/ZqmzIOvCm0JMcYifDDEChQ==|tkp:Bk9SR6yWs-3rYQ
I'd want to see the deadwax stamp, and see PCQ for myself before considering it real, or even a good fake.

I mentioned this one in the Spotlight Sony Japan thread. Blue Öyster Cult "Agents of Fortune". Claimed to be the rarest quad ever! Red Columbia label but it has a clearly marked quad catalogue number, and quadraphonic designation as well! The images of the label look real. There is no Quadraphonic designation shown on the cover that I can see from the pictures.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-multichannel-titles.26277/page-5#post-688849
While i thought that $200 was too much to pay for something that is very questionable I decided to throw in a last minute bid anyway, just in case it turned out to be real. I almost almost missed the auction close but got my minimum bid in anyway. With only seconds left several other bidders jumped in putting the closing price up to $626.00!

So I wonder if anyone here won the auction? If so I hope that they will report on it, real quad, total fake, or maybe real but just a double stereo type of mix like Amigos.

If it is real I wonder about the story behind this? A planned mix that had a small number of pressing made and then was quickly cancelled?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1756761632...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I'd want to see the deadwax stamp, and see PCQ for myself before considering it real, or even a good fake.
I came upon this today "Agents of Fortune" quad. Most likely a fake but it sure looks real. I don't think that I want to drop $200 US or more to find out. Red labels, perhaps it's a stereo version with misprinted label. The quad may have been planned and the numbers got mixed? Very cool item in any case.View attachment 90374View attachment 90375

Sure looks legit doesn't it?

Looks like it sold for a whopping $630 including shipping 😬

The picture of the jacket spine only showed 2 letters PC not PCQ. I sent a message asking about this and did not get a response.

The picture of the jacket spine only showed 2 letters PC not PCQ. I sent a message asking about this and did not get a response.
Yes it appears to be a regular stereo jacket. The album itself says PCQ and Quadraphonic. Not odd for a very limited release (if that's what this is).

Sure looks legit doesn't it?

Looks like it sold for a whopping $630 including shipping 😬
To think that someone bought this (at that price) with no pictures of the deadwax shown, no entry of it on Discogs, and no quad evidence on the cover at all? WOW!

Yes it appears to be a regular stereo jacket. The album itself says PCQ and Quadraphonic. Not odd for a very limited release (if that's what this is).
I thought that the jackets always got stickered cat #s when a custom quad cover was not printed?

Back