DVD Audio Extractor possible issues with latest version?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would be great! It's good to have more than one option

If you are using Windows Music Media Helper (in the Media Player sub forum here on QQ) will convert MKVs to FLAC and shows all the correct audio stream data. It uses ffmpeg but has a user interface instead of command line.

Anyone have any luck with this one?
81s4dz1OJaL._SS500_.jpg

I've tried it on two different machines. Is my disc defective?

Try selecting a subset of the audio streams and see if that allows you to extract the media. I have had to do that on 2 releases; I forget which.

Try selecting a subset of the audio streams and see if that allows you to extract the media. I have had to do that on 2 releases; I forget which.
I have done that successfully on other discs. I cannot get that far with this one. MKV fails leaving just empty directories.

If you are using Windows Music Media Helper (in the Media Player sub forum here on QQ) will convert MKVs to FLAC and shows all the correct audio stream data. It uses ffmpeg but has a user interface instead of command line.

I use perl, ffmpeg and mkvtoolnix to automate my extraction.
makeMKV to get a single file with all the streams.

mkvmerge inside a perl loop to extract each track as a separate file, but with each stream.

# mkvmerge -o ${OUTPUT} --split "chapters:all" ${SOURCE}
# Incremental numbers will be appended to the ${OUTPUT} filename.
# example: mkvmerge -o windogs.mkv --split "chapters:all" The_Winery_Dogs_t00.mkv
# notes if only the makeMKV files are in the directory this glob works, otherwise it needs more specificity
#-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@BaseFiles = glob ("*.mkv");
foreach $BaseFile (@BaseFiles) {
$BaseOut = "chapter" . $Counter . ".mkv";
system ("mkvmerge -o $BaseOut --split \"chapters:all\" $BaseFile");
$Counter++
}

Then a perl loop and ffmpeg to extract each stream. I haven't automated the stream selection because it only takes a moment to comment/uncomment sections.
Really, for most of the items the syntax is identical because of extraction and conversion so really I have sections to have unique names.
For the DTS-HD MA I use -acodec copy to get an unconverted file.

@Files = glob ("*.mkv");
foreach $File (@Files) {
# AC3 Stereo
#$Output1 = "0" . $Counter . "_ac3_2.0.flac";
#system ("ffmpeg -i $File -map 0:1 -vn -sn $Output1");

# AC3 5.1
$Output3 = "0" . $Counter . "_AC3_5.1.flac";
system ("ffmpeg -i $File -map 0:2 -vn -sn $Output3");

# PCM Stereo
$Output2 = "0" . $Counter . "_pcm_2.0.flac";
system ("ffmpeg -i $File -map 0:3 -vn -sn $Output2");

# PCM 5.1
#$Output4 = "0" . $Counter . "_PCM_5.1.flac";
#system ("ffmpeg -i $File -map 0:4 -vn -sn $Output4");

# DTS Stereo
#$Output5 = "0" . $Counter . "_DTS_2.0.flac";
#system ("ffmpeg -i $File -map 0:5 -vn -sn $Output5");

# DTS 5.1
$Output6 = "0" . $Counter . "_DTS_5.1.flac";
system ("ffmpeg -i $File -map 0:6 -vn -sn $Output6");

# DTS-HD MA Stereo
#$HDOutput1 = "0" . $Counter . "_DTSHD_2.0.dts";
#system ("ffmpeg -i $File -map 0:7 -vn -sn -acodec copy $HDOutput1");

# DTS-HD MA 5.1
$HDOutput2 = "0" . $Counter . "_DTSHD_5.1.dts";
system ("ffmpeg -i $File -map 0:8 -vn -sn -acodec copy $HDOutput2");
}

yes, I really need to automate it since it would be easy to do it with a if // and look for the stream types. It would be much easier to post at that point, and of use to people. Maybe early next year when I have some free time.

I have done that successfully on other discs. I cannot get that far with this one. MKV fails leaving just empty directories.
bummer. I don't have it or would take a run at it, sorry I don't have any other ideas.
It is certainly possible that there is an issue with the structure that allows it to play on your media but doesn't contain enough information for the software to extract it.

Sub-topic: My main box went WIN 10 last week, it was the last one. Yesterday I started DAE as I wanted to rip a 5.1 mix off a DVD and it threw a license error at me. Went back to email and found the machine #s didn’t match? So I searched the PC for the lic.dae (?) file and found it in a folder DELL8200 which was a former main PC.

I clicked their website link to download license, copied that to the WIN 10 PC, started DAE and browsed to the file and then all was fine. Just odd but I think the update from WIN 7 to WIN 10 awoke something.

And now back to our regular programming.

It is certainly possible that there is an issue with the structure that allows it to play on your media but doesn't contain enough information for the software to extract it.
I was thinking of that.

I use perl, ffmpeg and mkvtoolnix to automate my extraction.
makeMKV to get a single file with all the streams.

mkvmerge inside a perl loop to extract each track as a separate file, but with each stream.

# mkvmerge -o ${OUTPUT} --split "chapters:all" ${SOURCE}
# Incremental numbers will be appended to the ${OUTPUT} filename.
# example: mkvmerge -o windogs.mkv --split "chapters:all" The_Winery_Dogs_t00.mkv
# notes if only the makeMKV files are in the directory this glob works, otherwise it needs more specificity
#-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@BaseFiles = glob ("*.mkv");
foreach $BaseFile (@BaseFiles) {
$BaseOut = "chapter" . $Counter . ".mkv";
system ("mkvmerge -o $BaseOut --split \"chapters:all\" $BaseFile");
$Counter++
}

Then a perl loop and ffmpeg to extract each stream. I haven't automated the stream selection because it only takes a moment to comment/uncomment sections.
Really, for most of the items the syntax is identical because of extraction and conversion so really I have sections to have unique names.
For the DTS-HD MA I use -acodec copy to get an unconverted file.

@Files = glob ("*.mkv");
foreach $File (@Files) {
# AC3 Stereo
#$Output1 = "0" . $Counter . "_ac3_2.0.flac";
#system ("ffmpeg -i $File -map 0:1 -vn -sn $Output1");

# AC3 5.1
$Output3 = "0" . $Counter . "_AC3_5.1.flac";
system ("ffmpeg -i $File -map 0:2 -vn -sn $Output3");

# PCM Stereo
$Output2 = "0" . $Counter . "_pcm_2.0.flac";
system ("ffmpeg -i $File -map 0:3 -vn -sn $Output2");

# PCM 5.1
#$Output4 = "0" . $Counter . "_PCM_5.1.flac";
#system ("ffmpeg -i $File -map 0:4 -vn -sn $Output4");

# DTS Stereo
#$Output5 = "0" . $Counter . "_DTS_2.0.flac";
#system ("ffmpeg -i $File -map 0:5 -vn -sn $Output5");

# DTS 5.1
$Output6 = "0" . $Counter . "_DTS_5.1.flac";
system ("ffmpeg -i $File -map 0:6 -vn -sn $Output6");

# DTS-HD MA Stereo
#$HDOutput1 = "0" . $Counter . "_DTSHD_2.0.dts";
#system ("ffmpeg -i $File -map 0:7 -vn -sn -acodec copy $HDOutput1");

# DTS-HD MA 5.1
$HDOutput2 = "0" . $Counter . "_DTSHD_5.1.dts";
system ("ffmpeg -i $File -map 0:8 -vn -sn -acodec copy $HDOutput2");
}

yes, I really need to automate it since it would be easy to do it with a if // and look for the stream types. It would be much easier to post at that point, and of use to people. Maybe early next year when I have some free time.

With all due respect Marplot, this is way too complicated for the average QQer. Especially since you need to manually edit these scripts for each disc release with different audio streams.

Just rip everything to MKV, then run Music Media Helper, select the MKV file, select which stream to rip. Done. You can even enterthe Artist and Album Title and tag all files too, with limited effort. You do need Windows though :)

"This album has been recorded in 24bit 192kHz 7.1 surround sound and is delivered to the listener in this package on Pure Audio Blu-ray in 5.1, 7.1, and high-resolution stereo, and a standard resolution CD. The Blu-ray also includes digital copies via mShuttle."

Is it possible that mShuttle files cause problems? Can you copy those OK?

With all due respect Marplot, this is way too complicated for the average QQer. Especially since you need to manually edit these scripts for each disc release with different audio streams.

Just rip everything to MKV, then run Music Media Helper, select the MKV file, select which stream to rip. Done. You can even enterthe Artist and Album Title and tag all files too, with limited effort. You do need Windows though :)
No umbrage taken. I was simply answering in depth to the response of sure, tell me more.
I would however disagree that using a text editor to remove a hash (#) is beyond anyone here, but yes I endorse Music Media Helper and the support provided as a solid solution.

"This album has been recorded in 24bit 192kHz 7.1 surround sound and is delivered to the listener in this package on Pure Audio Blu-ray in 5.1, 7.1, and high-resolution stereo, and a standard resolution CD. The Blu-ray also includes digital copies via mShuttle."

Is it possible that mShuttle files cause problems? Can you copy those OK?
mShuttle files copy fine but I have no use for them.

Did you try the backup feature in MakeMKV? It is an option before you scan the disc. That may be worth a shot. You could then use other methods to extract the audio because the copy protection will be removed.

Back