Santana - Abraxas Japanese Quad SACD Officially Announced (October 28, 2020)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine arrived today from CD Japan, with a postcard. As with the first album I am using the postcard as a jewel case cover.

Attachments

• IMG_20201106_170850.jpg
    IMG_20201106_170850.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_20201106_170912.jpg
    IMG_20201106_170912.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 251
I received my copy of Abraxas last week from CDJapan, and I know this will not be a popular view, but after listening to it I have to say I am a bit underwhelmed... It is mainly because the FR channel seems to sound a bit distant and hollow at times. Particularly on Samba Pa Ti the guitar solo sounds quite distant, similar issue with the RF percussion on the Incident in Neshabur. I even pulled out other discs if it is not a problem with my system but no. I never heard any other multichannel version of Abraxas, is this the way the mix is supposed to be? 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
The DTS release of the quad mix got very lukewarm reviews - not just because the sound quality was not top flight, but the mix itself was not previously considered that hot. But this release of the quad mix is much better so I am reading, maybe.

I know this will not be a popular view, but after listening to it I have to say I am a bit underwhelmed... It is mainly because the FR channel seems to sound a bit distant and hollow at times. Particularly on Samba Pa Ti the guitar solo sounds quite distant, similar issue with the RF percussion on the Incident in Neshabur. 🤷‍♂️

With all the trickery that had been created in the last years it may be possible to "dry up" the reverb present on some tracks.
Anyway, it is so: the sacd is just the best transposition of the original quad mix,
I really dislike a heavy handed production when it comes to reverb. One that has always been irksome for me in that respect has been "The Divine Miss M."
Isn't it much harder to remove reverb post production than to add it in?

As to the Santana Quad titles; I don't recall that being the case as to "too much reverb", except for maybe some of the ones that have a quasi-fake surround to them.

Last edited:
Just got it today, ordered from ImportCD. Will be listening tomorrow. I have had the DTS 5.1 DVD-A for a long time but I always liked the original SQ LP better so this SACD should do it for me. I don't recall the LP having major overcooked reverb but admittedly haven't listened to it in years. There's a few tricks (target curves and/or filters) in my Trinnov Altitude that *might* help, at least they do with movies so we'll see :)

Here's hoping for III and Caravanserai in 2021!!

Sadly Importcds hasn’t shipped my order yet (ordered 3 weeks ago). Now the status is “back ordered”.

I noticed the same thing and out of an abundance of caution, I went ahead and ordered this release from CDJapan. It was a bit pricey, but only $12 more than it would have cost from ImportCDs. I was a little concerned that being a limited release, it might sell out before they received more stock and this was one I didn’t want to miss.

Sadly Importcds hasn’t shipped my order yet (ordered 3 weeks ago). Now the status is “back ordered”.

You have to wonder if Import CDs does not stop taking orders when the known quantity in their shipment is exceeded. Or maybe they don't receive the entire quantity that they were expecting. Or maybe they believe that they can obtain more copies. I do not know their MO, but it may be best to order immediately when they announce the title on their website.

You have to wonder if Import CDs does not stop taking orders when the known quantity in their shipment is exceeded. Or maybe they don't receive the entire quantity that they were expecting. Or maybe they believe that they can obtain more copies. I do not know their MO, but it may be best to order immediately when they announce the title on their website.
Yes and also listing “The Red Planet” DVD combo; which there’s no evidence yet, that they were even ever contracted as a seller!

Whoa. I made a 3 title order from them on 10/28 (It was Santana ST, Abraxas and R.E.M. Out of Time). They took all my money and the ST and R.E.M. got shipped right away. Abraxas got shipped the next week when it released (Can't play it for now because I found out my BR player can't play SACD like I thought). It's really weird that my copy got shipped before yours because I ordered after you.

Yes and also listing “The Red Planet” DVD combo; which there’s no evidence yet, that they were even ever contracted as a seller!

JP, I did receive notification a few days ago from ImportCD, that Wakeman's RED PLANET CD/DVD combo in special 'pop up packaging' was indeed shipped out and I should be receiving it shortly. If it is NOT as advertised, you can be sure I'll be shipping it back....and will report back further.

Back