Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Criterion is supposed to announce their first 4k in January. Papa needs something with Mifune Toshirō ... although with the age of his movies I would be surprised.
I would like to see them make all their previous Jean-Pierre Melville available again too; I only have a few.

EDIT
announce 4k in 2021, January was a hopeful misinterpretation by myself.
https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/the-4k-uhd-release-list/4k-uhd-list-01
Criterion's first 4K title could be announced in 2021

Last edited:
Call me an ole softie, but couldn't resist adding this Criterion 4K remastered 1936 version of Jerome Kern's Showboat with the great Paul Robeson singing "Ole Man River..." Amazon also included an additional coupon worth $3.33 so $16.66! Directed by James Whale [The Bride of Frankenstein].

91iyvgfFuPL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Call me an ole softie, but couldn't resist adding this Criterion 4K remastered 1936 version of Jerome Kern's Showboat with the great Paul Robeson singing "Ole Man River..." Amazon also included an additional coupon worth $3.33 so $16.66! Directed by James Whale [The Bride of Frankenstein].

91iyvgfFuPL._SL1500_.jpg
you're not an old softie--you're an old uncompressed monaural soundtrack poster in a surround movie thread . . . but it is a hell of a release of a masterpiece of a movie. 🙄

you're not an old softie--you're an old uncompressed monaural soundtrack poster in a surround movie thread . . . but it is a hell of a release of a masterpiece of a movie. 🙄

Like a priest once said to me at the cemetery: "Do You Have Holy Water?" I replied "NO!" He then said "if you give me water I can bless it and make it into Holy Water."

Well Gimme a sturdy Monaural Soundtrack and with the press of a button I can have that puppy 'singin' out of all 5.1 speakers!

And what if I told you, dear Clement, that The Rolling Stones recently 4K remastered BD~V of "Rock 'n Roll Circus" which touted a DOLBY ATMOS soundtrack is, in fact MONO coming out of ALL 5.1 speakers [I don't have ATMOS]?

You're SPEECHLESS, you say?

Last edited:
Jim Jarmusch's Off The Wall Revisionist 'Western' with a great Johnny Depp Performance and a stellar Neil Young Soundtrack in LOSSLESS PCM 2.0 Dolby Surround! 4K Remastered

91OMi-kRcSL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Angelo Badalamenti's unforgettable soundtrack and atmospheric ambience sound phenomenal on the 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack of this killer from Criterion
View attachment 59066
https://www.slantmagazine.com/dvd/mulholland-drive-bd/https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Mulholland-Drive-Blu-ray/68150/#Reviewhttps://bluray.highdefdigest.com/23834/mulhollanddrcriterion.html
Hi Clement,
How discrete is the soundtrack on this? I have the Studio Canal Blu-ray from 2017 which appears to be an ambient type 5.1 mix.
Brendan

question... I am watching The Mandalorian and I only have a Stereo stream that decodes very well with Dolby Surround...am I missing out on other streams? Are there other option$$$$ with MCH audio?

Hi Clement,
How discrete is the soundtrack on this? I have the Studio Canal Blu-ray from 2017 which appears to be an ambient type 5.1 mix.
Brendan
when i typed "atmospheric ambience," i meant it! i think your description--an ambient type 5.1 mix--is an apt one . . . but the soundtrack sounds GREAT! i think that because this project started as a television production, the mix is very front-centric, but it's also very dynamic and nuanced.

when i typed "atmospheric ambience," i meant it! i think your description--an ambient type 5.1 mix--is an apt one . . . but the soundtrack sounds GREAT! i think that because this project started as a television production, the mix is very front-centric, but it's also very dynamic and nuanced.

Believe it or NOT, I've found a lot of Dolby Surround mixes much more enveloping than so called discrete 5.1 soundtracks on more than just a few occasions.

How did I miss the Essential Fellini announcement? Both Amazon and B&N allow you to preorder it for $125. That is a great price for 14 Fellini films on BR. Hello Christmas gift to myself.

How did I miss the Essential Fellini announcement? Both Amazon and B&N allow you to preorder it for $125. That is a great price for 14 Fellini films on BR. Hello Christmas gift to myself.

An absolute treasure trove, Marplot. I do have many of Criterions existing Fellini films on BD~V but as stated, a lot of them have been 4K remastered in the interim.

It will be interesting to see what titles Criterion will choose to launch their NATIVE UHD 4K remasters come January!

All previous older films which Arrow and Studio Canal have released in Native UHD4K certainly are well worth the UPGRADE to the new format, IMO.

Not to sound dismissive, but I would've ordered the Fellini boxset in a heartbeat had they been Native UHD4K releases.

films list

Last edited:
question... I am watching The Mandalorian and I only have a Stereo stream that decodes very well with Dolby Surround...am I missing out on other streams? Are there other option$$$$ with MCH audio?
Hey, Kap, how are you watching? I go through Disney + from my ROKU stick (HDMI) that's plugged into the back of my oppo; and then out of the oppo analog 5.1 to my AVR.

I get surround (probably only some DD thingy through the ROKU - but still)

Back