Sony Blu-Ray Players used for SACD ripping

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a Mac user and have both the S5100 and S7200. I have the S5100 stored as a back up unit but use AND prefer the 7200. It's a more substantial build with a metal housing (the 5100 is plastic) and the 7200's "AutoScript" method (steps) of ripping is simpler and quicker. They are available on eBay but usually cost a bit more. I can give you my step by step notes (cheat sheet) if helpful.
I would love those notes. Also, is the Sonore ISO2DSD app compatible with macOS Catalina (aka 64 bit)?

Sure, would love a (Cheat Sheet) -for the AutoRip method with a USB flash drive, you verified it works?

What in your opinion is a good deal on a 7200? Yeah ,my S5100 is plastic/light as a feather gear!

I still have many discs to rip.

I have easily Ripped well over a hundred SACD's with this. Very fast and you just leave the USB drive in afterwards until you want to rip again. Then you just take out the thumb drive, wait 3 seconds and start again on step 2. - - Right now there are several S7200's for sale ranging from $55 to $79. - - - I have a back up of the specific AutoScript folder for the 6200 and 7200 if you need it. I could send it in an email I suppose (not sure if email would corrupt it. Otherwise you can look for a link on HifiHeaven.org (ARMv7 script) - or I could post it somewhere for you to download. Here's my "cheat sheet".

Standard Network Ripping for Sony 7200 (using SACD Rip flash drive)

* for more info, go to HifiHaven.org - search: "rip SACD with a Blu Ray player"

Follow these instructions carefully:

Sony S7200 "Settings" set up parameters:

- Player System Settings:

- Quick Start Mode: ON (This is most important)
1. Digital Audio Output: Auto
2. DSD Output Mode: Off
3. BD Audio Mix Settings: On
4. DTS Neo6: Off
5. Audio DRC: Auto
6. Downmix: Stereo

Music Settings:
- Super Audio CD Playback Layer: Super Audio CD
- Super Audio Playback Channel: DSD Multi

** If problems occur, check System Information on the 7200 for current IP Address **

The revised sleep-server steps on the S6200 and 7200 models (only) with the new ARMv7 script are as follows:

1. Unplug the Sony 7200 (with no thumb drive). Wait 10 seconds and plug back in. (only required the first time or if a problem occurs). The unit resets & goes into sleeping/OFF state.
2. Insert thumb drive.
3. The player wakes, disc tray auto-opens. . . place a disc in the tray BUT don't close it.
4. Disc tray auto-closes, player auto-enters sleep mode & goes dark.
5. Run/Execute the rip from the GUI.

To rip again, unplug the USB thumb drive, wait 3 seconds and repeat steps 2 through 5.

I have easily Ripped well over a hundred SACD's with this. Very fast and you just leave the USB drive in afterwards until you want to rip again. Then you just take out the thumb drive, wait 3 seconds and start again on step 2. - - Right now there are several S7200's for sale ranging from $55 to $79. - - - I have a back up of the specific AutoScript folder for the 6200 and 7200 if you need it. I could send it in an email I suppose (not sure if email would corrupt it. Otherwise you can look for a link on HifiHeaven.org (ARMv7 script) - or I could post it somewhere for you to download. Here's my "cheat sheet".

Standard Network Ripping for Sony 7200 (using SACD Rip flash drive)

* for more info, go to HifiHaven.org - search: "rip SACD with a Blu Ray player"

Follow these instructions carefully:

Sony S7200 "Settings" set up parameters:

- Player System Settings:

- Quick Start Mode: ON (This is most important)
1. Digital Audio Output: Auto
2. DSD Output Mode: Off
3. BD Audio Mix Settings: On
4. DTS Neo6: Off
5. Audio DRC: Auto
6. Downmix: Stereo

Music Settings:
- Super Audio CD Playback Layer: Super Audio CD
- Super Audio Playback Channel: DSD Multi

** If problems occur, check System Information on the 7200 for current IP Address **

The revised sleep-server steps on the S6200 and 7200 models (only) with the new ARMv7 script are as follows:

1. Unplug the Sony 7200 (with no thumb drive). Wait 10 seconds and plug back in. (only required the first time or if a problem occurs). The unit resets & goes into sleeping/OFF state.
2. Insert thumb drive.
3. The player wakes, disc tray auto-opens. . . place a disc in the tray BUT don't close it.
4. Disc tray auto-closes, player auto-enters sleep mode & goes dark.
5. Run/Execute the rip from the GUI.

To rip again, unplug the USB thumb drive, wait 3 seconds and repeat steps 2 through 5.
I think there is some misunderstanding, sorry -could be on my part. I was wanting to rip via the AutoRip method "direct to USB" as shown on this post?

The files are slightly different bit if it supports one method, it should support the other.
I am sure someone with that model will happen along and chime in.
As far as 2 network rips, I would dupe the directory you have the software in, point each dir to a different player and also a different local directory to prevent any weird behind the scenes java behavior from stomping on the running jars.

I think there is some misunderstanding, sorry -could be on my part. I was wanting to rip via the AutoRip method "direct to USB" as shown on this post?
OK. I missed that. But, as revealed in the post link you gave, I did learn AutoRipping along the way at HifiHaven.org. AND I do have a shortened "cheat sheet" for doing the AutoRip method with an Sony 5100 - but not the Sony 7200. I'd be happy to copy and post that if you'd like. And I have the AutoRip script folder for a Mac if you don't have it.

OK. I missed that. But, as revealed in the post link you gave, I did learn AutoRipping along the way at HifiHaven.org. AND I do have a shortened "cheat sheet" for doing the AutoRip method with an Sony 5100 - but not the Sony 7200. I'd be happy to copy and post that if you'd like. And I have the AutoRip script folder for a Mac if you don't have it.
Thanks, not necessary for myself, I'm good with it on my 5100; was just wondering about the 7200- can you try the AutoRip on that machine?
But I'm sure others here would be happy to get your Cheat Sheet for that as well.

What in your opinion is a good deal on a 7200?
They seem to fetch about $50-100 on eBay depending on exact cosmetic condition, presence of remote control, and the original box.
The moderator at HiFi Haven bought a non-working one for $9.99 and replaced the optical drive in it for another $13, and it worked. That one was pretty beat up looking, but the only problem it had was a dead optical drive.

And I have the AutoRip script folder for a Mac if you don't have it.
AutoRip is not computer OS specific, since you are not using a computer to create the ISO.
Only the SACDExtractGUI and ISO2DSD programs for using the server method are OS specific.

It is just java, no reason you can't run two instances on your machine unless you are memory or cpu bound.
This is true, although the CPU issue is real and in his case since he is trying to save time, perhaps counter productive to run 2 instances at once on the same computer, that will slow the rips speed with many CPUs.

Sure, would love a (Cheat Sheet) -for the AutoRip method with a USB flash drive, you verified it works?
AutoRip A3 works perfectly on the S6200 and 7200 for sure.
The cheat sheet is very short, enable Quick Start mode, and then insert the A3 pen drive into an already sleeping player. When it awakens and the drawer opens, drop a disc in and watch it close again (End of cheat sheet).
With AutoRip you want a pen drive with an LED so you can see the rip activity is in progress, or just be patient and when the rip is all done, the drawer will reopen.
The pCloud which houses the AutoRip scripts has a full instruction set for all models.

I would love those notes. Also, is the Sonore ISO2DSD app compatible with macOS Catalina (aka 64 bit)?
What notes? He is referring to both the server method and AutoRip, those are two different things.
Yes ISO2DSD is compatible with Catalina, and in all cases on Windows, Mac, or Linux, 64-bit OS is required, not optional.
Why would you want to use ISO2DSD when SACDExtractGUI is markedly superior (several more useful features)?

Last edited:
Thanks, not necessary for myself, I'm good with it on my 5100; was just wondering about the 7200- can you try the AutoRip on that machine?
But I'm sure others here would be happy to get your Cheat Sheet for that as well.
Good idea! But I just tried it several times and while it did take control of the player; opened the drawer, closed the drawer - it would not start ripping. After about 30 seconds it simply opened the drawer with the disk unripped. It was worth a try.

For anyone interested, here is my "cheat sheet" of steps to AutoRip (or USB rip - no network needed) on a Sony S5100. My experience is using a Mac. The resulting ISO files will be on the USB thumb drive when ripping is finished. I learned this method from Mikey Fresh at HifiHaven.org.

SACD Ripping with AutoRip Thumb Drive Method (for Sony S5100)

The Autoscript on the USB RIP thumb drive is used to rip SACD's with the AutoRip Method - which does not require a network. Just the Sony Blu Ray player and the thumb drive (a thumb drive with an LED is best since you can see the rip happening as the LED's pulse).

Instructions:

*** Start with a freshly power cycled unit that has no previous failed attempts in RAM:

Power up player and allow about 10 seconds for the initial boot sequence completion - have an SACD ready.
  1. Insert thumb drive into USB port, - wait for tray to open
  2. Place disc in tray and allow it to auto-close, then press Power OFF - just one press, as the tray is closing (hold for 1/2 sec.)
  3. Wait patiently for around 15 seconds, at which point AutoRip should commence - evidenced by LED flashing indicator on the USB drive
  4. When the ISO write is complete, the LED will stop flashing, and the disc tray will auto-open.
The key items above are both having a disc ready to place in the tray when it auto-opens, and then be equally ready to immediately Power OFF when the tray begins to auto-close, you'll need to press OFF before the disc tray has fully closed and you can only use the power button on the player itself, not the remote control.

This method produces ISO files which can be extracted to a DSF file for playing with a music server. To do this, use the SACDextractGUI software also used for for computer / network extraction.

FOR MULTIPLE DISKS:

1 - Push drawer closed
2 - Push power button 1X to turn unit on
3 - Drawer will open.
4 - Put SACD into drawer
5 - When drawer starts closing, push power button & hold for 1/2 second (as drawer is closing)

Good idea! But I just tried it several times and while it did take control of the player; opened the drawer, closed the drawer - it would not start ripping. After about 30 seconds it simply opened the drawer with the disk unripped. It was worth a try.
You can't use the same AutoRip script on the S7200 that is used on the S5100, because the S7200 has an ARMv7 chipset while the older S5100 uses an ARMv6 chipset.
To use AutoRip on the S7200, you need AutoRip A3, while the S5100 uses A1.
Unlike with the S5100, AutoRip A3 is inserted into an already sleeping S6200/7200.
All of the instructions for each AutoRip variant and player model are found in a document on the pCloud that houses them.
This was updated by @Nexus3 in late May, including revised A1neo and A2neo scripts which further automate the process so that the stereo/mch toggle with the original A1 is no longer necessary on the compatible Sony players, and the player now enters sleep mode automatically with both A1neo & A2neo.

Last edited:
What notes? He is referring to both the server method and AutoRip, those are two different things.
Yes ISO2DSD is compatible with Catalina, and in all cases on Windows, Mac, or Linux, 64-bit OS is required, not optional.
Why would you want to use ISO2DSD when SACDExtractGUI is markedly superior (several more useful features)?
I mean I am open to whichever process is best. Are there instructions somewhere for SACDExtractGUI on macOS? Also, I assume that process works with either the S5100 or the S7200?

Back