Sony Blu-Ray Players used for SACD ripping

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are there instructions somewhere for SACDExtractGUI on macOS?
SACDExtractGUI works exactly the same for Windows, macOS, and Linux, so any instructions you see in this thread using it pertain to all OS versions, there is nothing specific about macOS that makes using it any different from Windows or Linux with this program.
There is however a difference between the S5100 and S7200 instructions in that the S7200 must be in a sleeping mode when you insert the USB pen drive (Quick Start enabled of course), where with the S5100 the USB pen drive is inserted with the player ON (not sleeping).
None of these methods are difficult or complex, however there is no single cheat sheet available because what was originally just the Oppo and Pioneer brands and 4 player models compatible has now grown to 11 brands and 35 player models, and the instructions are not exactly the same for each one, they differ slightly.
For instance, only Sony brand players require a sleep mode at all, every other compatible brand does not utilize sleep mode. That doesn't mean the use of a Sony is harder, just slightly different in that you have to enable Quick Start in order to enter sleep mode. The more recent ARMv7 Sony players use slightly different instructions than the earlier ARMv6 models do.
Don't sweat it, just pick a player and once you have, then choose the method and instructions that you are comfortable with. AutoRip is easiest, but that doesn't exactly make the server method hard.

Last edited:
What makes SACDExtract "markedly superior" ?
You meant SACDExtractGUI... much greater functionality, especially with EuFlo's latest version of the executable.
You would need to look at the readme.txt in EuFlo's latest release to see all of the changes, enhancements, and new features, but suffice it to say some of that won't work with ISO2DSD, nor do any of the older enhancements originally made by Setmind in fall 2018 including Concurrent Mode (simultaneous ISO+DSF), choice of output directory, Padding-less DSF, etc... all of that is only available with SACDExtractGUI as the front end, ISO2DSD is incompatible with those features.

Last edited:
Then why did you suggest ISO2DSD in your post?
I didn't. You asked:

Also, is the Sonore ISO2DSD app compatible with macOS Catalina (aka 64 bit)?

I then replied:

Yes ISO2DSD is compatible with Catalina, and in all cases on Windows, Mac, or Linux, 64-bit OS is required, not optional.
Why would you want to use ISO2DSD when SACDExtractGUI is markedly superior (several more useful features)?

I was answering your question about ISO2DSD, not suggesting it's use, quite the opposite, I said SACDExtractGUI was superior.

You meant SACDExtractGUI... much greater functionality, especially with EuFlo's latest version of the executable.
You would need to look at the readme.txt in EuFlo's latest release to see all of the changes, enhancements, and new features, but suffice it to say none of that works with ISO2DSD, nor do any of the older enhancements originally made by Setmind in fall 2018 including Concurrent Mode (simultaneous ISO+DSF), choice of output directory, Padding-less DSF, etc... all of that is only available with SACDExtractGUI as the front end, ISO2DSD is incompatible with those features.
All that is true but when I started out I examined both and got very confused by all that added functionality.. So I started by checking out using iso2dsd and it was very simple to use and I got going 1,2,3 just following some basic instructions on HiFi Haven. Since then I haven't run into any situations where iso2dsd couldn't do what I wanted and the added switches of SACDExtract remained unneeded complications.. Now I'm sure that's not true for everyone but iso2 just works and is very simple for the first timer to learn and get started.
iso.JPG

All that is true but when I started out I examined both and got very confused by all that added functionality.. So I started by checking out using iso2dsd and it was very simple to use and I got going 1,2,3 just following some basic instructions on HiFi Haven. Since then I haven't run into any situations where iso2dsd couldn't do what I wanted and the added switches of SACDExtract remained unneeded complications.. Now I'm sure that's not true for everyone but iso2 just works and is very simple for the first timer to learn and get started.
View attachment 59225

There is certainly no reason why one can't have both, I do, and with SACDExtractGUI you can even just download the Java applet and point it at the very same executable that's in the ISO2DSD folder, assuming you have EuFlo's updated enhanced version of that which was posted by Sonore a few months ago.

Sure. Exactly why I asked about it.
I just got my first of those 7" sacds. They are wonderfully well produced but I find myself alternating between admiring the mini LP reproduction and grumbling under my breath about yet another odd size media holder that I need to store somehow.

I must be hallucinating this post then...
I'm still not following you at all, exactly where did I "suggest" ISO2DSD as you described it? Further, what you quoted mentions SACDExtractGUI first. Maybe you are hallucinating in general?
As mentioned by @Sal1950, either program works, and I'm not at all trying to establish a "What's best" (that's another site), everyone is free to have their own preference. Mine is SACDExtractGUI, however I do keep a fully updated ISO2DSD as well and I'm grateful for the years that program was the only front end GUI available, SACDExtractGUI wasn't even a thing until fall 2018.
Prior to ISO2DSD, you had to use the CLI to rip SACD, which is much harder for most people, so we will always hold a debt of gratitude to Sonore for their gracious free offer of ISO2DSD.

Last edited:
Prior to ISO2DSD, you had to use the CLI to rip SACD, which is harder for most people, so we will always hold a debt of gratitude to Sonore for their gracious free offer of ISO2DSD.
Now if only I could get either to run on my Linux install I'd be happy. All have executable permissions and I have both " java-sun-15.0.1" and "jre-1.8" java installed. Clicking on either gui.jar returns nothing? Anyone have any ideas?
TIA

Now if only I could get either to run on my Linux install I'd be happy. All have executable permissions and I have both " java-sun-15.0.1" and "jre-1.8" java installed. Clicking on either gui.jar returns nothing? Anyone have any ideas?
TIA
Try a right-click Open with: Java

64-bit OS, correct?

bash-4.4$ java -version
java version "1.8.0_231"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_231-b11)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.231-b11, mixed mode)
bash-4.4$
That looks good, version 8u231 build 11 should just work.
I think if memory serves I had to make both sacd_extract and the .jar itself executable. This differs from macOS for instance, where only sacd_extract itself needs to be made executable. For some reason on my Linux install, the .jar itself also had to be made executable. Maybe give that a shot?

That looks good, version 8u231 build 11 should just work.
I think if memory serves I had to make both sacd_extract and the .jar itself executable. This differs from macOS for instance, where only sacd_extract itself needs to be made executable. For some reason on my Linux install, the .jar itself also had to be made executable. Maybe give that a shot?
No joy.. I actually already had those marked as executable while trying to get things to launch in prior tweaking IIRC.
It still seems as if the path to java is broken somehow but can't figure it out. :(

Sony BDP-S590 is declared to read SACD-R discs. But only up to firmware version M12.R.0430, according to the list on link.

I was offered here in Brazil an used S590 for just US$ 25. My current "SACD" player is the Sony BDP-S380, which supports SACD-R in any firmware version, but it has no DLNA, which S590 has.

I don't want to search for an old firmware version to downgrade this S590 and keep alert to never upgrade it online, although. I don't the current version of this one and the seller is very newbie and can't inform this.

Is this information absolutely right? The latest firmware version on my country seems to be M12.R.0510. Is absolutely right that a S590 with M12.R.0510 firmware can't read SACD-R discs?

https://github.com/sacd-ripper/sacd-ripper/wiki/A-list-of-SACD-R-compatible-players.

Back