So How Many Oppos Do You Own?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NEWSFLASH: The BDP-93 I found my Portland buddy has failed; not reading anything at all. I mentioned that Oppo might still be offering the out-of-warranty flat fee service. He inquired and yes for $99 you get Oppo to recondition your player! So I'm sending him my "spare" BDP-93 tomorrow and when Oppo finishes the repair, that BDP-93 will be shipped to me. The BDP-103 takes over 5.1 system to make the BDP-93 a spare. So that's 3 players dipping to 2 temporarily with a restoration to 3 players in a few weeks. Stay tuned for sports and weather.....

Since you mentioned HDCDs...do you hear any difference compared to the conventional CDs?

Hard to say since there's no way to switch the playback back-and-forth from HDCD and normal to A-B compare. I figure there must have been something to it! Microsoft bought the company, but then did nothing with it.

Every once in a while I'll put in a CD and it's HDCD encoded even though there's no mention of it anywhere on the CD or packaging. First Aid Kit's "Lion's Roar" album is one.

NEWSFLASH: The BDP-93 I found my Portland buddy has failed; not reading anything at all. I mentioned that Oppo might still be offering the out-of-warranty flat fee service. He inquired and yes for $99 you get Oppo to recondition your player! So I'm sending him my "spare" BDP-93 tomorrow and when Oppo finishes the repair, that BDP-93 will be shipped to me. The BDP-103 takes over 5.1 system to make the BDP-93 a spare. So that's 3 players dipping to 2 temporarily with a restoration to 3 players in a few weeks. Stay tuned for sports and weather.....

I'm amazed that Oppo is still doing these repairs (y)

I believe a OPPO 203 will but they sell for too much money, if you can find a 103 preferably a 103d it will decode just about anything NASA could design!

There is a great OPPO support Forum you can check, they got way smarter people than me!!

Stay Safe
Stewart😎

Confession: I have two (2) Oppo 105Ds.
1 year ago, I bought the first one for +$1,000AUD ($726USD, $551GBP). Used, HiFi store demo unit in excellent condition.
Two weeks later a brand new, sealed 105D became available for sale for $600AUD. I bought that.
Both are in full service and they only do audio duties. Very happy with them.

Don't choke on the prices. Australia is a small market, niche players like this are hard to find and there are plenty of buyers. Place your bets. :)

I own the 83 and the 203. I had the 80 but sold it. One my friends completely yanked the drawer out of the unit on the 83, (some friend). I emailed Oppo about the 83 and they were fantastic fixing it for free and it was no longer under warranty when it happened. Incredible customer service in my book. I wish I bought one of their universal DVD players.

I have three, the 98, 83, and 203. All have performed flawlessly and the one time I had an issue with the laser on the 83, Oppo fixed it for free even though it was outside the warranty period. It’s a shame they’re no longer in operation.

Hard to say since there's no way to switch the playback back-and-forth from HDCD and normal to A-B compare. I figure there must have been something to it! Microsoft bought the company, but then did nothing with it.

Every once in a while I'll put in a CD and it's HDCD encoded even though there's no mention of it anywhere on the CD or packaging. First Aid Kit's "Lion's Roar" album is one.

I've asked that question many times and no one has ever given a definitive answer.....

I've asked that question many times and no one has ever given a definitive answer.....

Rip the CD and play that as the none HDCD version. While there are HDCD decoding rippers, you can turn that feature off. You do need to ensure the DAC you use to play it doesn't do the HDCD decoding.

I'm curious. Is there any "new" player that can do what an Oppo can do? And has analog outputs. Asking for a friend. 😁

Well that is the question for many of us. There's more than one thread on the forum specific to that topic. So poke around a bit there's more info there than I could impart.

But in general "new" players have some but not all of the features the Oppo's had. Your friend 😄 will have to pick and choose what's most important. Such as SACD but no DVD-A. Steaming or not built in. A good file player or just a good disc player. And the analog audio outs are a real killer. Most players that have the most desirable features probably have only HDMI.
And so it goes.

But in general "new" players have some but not all of the features the Oppo's had. Your friend 😄 will have to pick and choose what's most important. Such as SACD but no DVD-A. Steaming or not built in. A good file player or just a good disc player. And the analog audio outs are a real killer. Most players that have the most desirable features probably have only HDMI.

Sad but true. I have a 95 and it ticks more of the boxes of my requirements than anything I could replace it with, apart from a 205.

Back