Tower Records Presents CTI Records Hybrid SACD Selection (Dec. 9, 2020)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soundboy

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Caught this on Google this morning from the below link:

https://www.jiji.com/jc/article?k=000000633.000025445&g=prt
Translated by Google Translate....

The first release is 12/9 Tower Records limited 4 titles released

Tower Records is the name of the famous label CTI Records, which was founded by the famous producer Creed Taylor in the latter half of the 1960s with the cooperation of King International Co., Ltd., and produced many masterpieces of crossover / fusion in the 70s and 80s. The world's first SA-CD HYBRID series "TOWER RECORDS presents CTI SA-CD HYBRID SELECTION" will start.

As the first step, the works of Jim Hall, Bill Evans, Chet Baker, and Paul Desmond will be released on Wednesday, December 9th exclusively at Tower Records.

Jim Hall - Concierto
(previously released on SACD by Mobile Fidelity)
Bill Evans - Montreux II
Chet Baker - She Was Too Good To Me
Paul Desmond - Pure Desmond (1975)

Tower Records is the name of the famous label CTI Records, which was founded by the famous producer Creed Taylor in the latter half of the 1960s with the cooperation of King International Co., Ltd., and produced many masterpieces of crossover / fusion in the 70s and 80s. The world's first SA-CD HYBRID series "TOWER RECORDS presents CTI SA-CD HYBRID SELECTION" will start.

As the first step, the works of Jim Hall, Bill Evans, Chet Baker, and Paul Desmond will be released on Wednesday, December 9th exclusively at Tower Records.

Jim Hall - Concierto
Bill Evans - Montreux II
Wondering if these are remastered by Christoph Stickel, like the ECMs?

Below there is also the forthcoming ones... afaik, only Deodato had quad mixes, already released by D-V

CTI SA-CD HYBRID Selection Future Releases:
Scheduled to be released in early January
KCTCD 1005 The Rite of Spring / Hubert Laws
KCTCD 1006 Rhapsody in Blue / Deodato
KCTCD 1007 Goodbye / Milt Jackson

Scheduled to be released in early February or early March
KCTCD 1008 Baltimore / Nina Simone
KCTCD 1009 Gilberto with Talentine / Astrud Gilberto
KCTCD 1010 Stone Flower / Antonio Carlos Jobim

Jim Hall - Concierto
Bill Evans - Montreux II

Interesting. The titles they have slated for early next year look good, too.

Not hybrid multi-channel though, right?

(Edit: whoops--@winopener beat me to the punch.)

Below there is also the forthcoming ones... afaik, only Deodato had quad mixes, already released by D-V

CTI SA-CD HYBRID Selection Future Releases:
Scheduled to be released in early January
KCTCD 1005 The Rite of Spring / Hubert Laws
KCTCD 1006 Rhapsody in Blue / Deodato
KCTCD 1007 Goodbye / Milt Jackson

Scheduled to be released in early February or early March
KCTCD 1008 Baltimore / Nina Simone
KCTCD 1009 Gilberto with Talentine / Astrud Gilberto
KCTCD 1010 Stone Flower / Antonio Carlos Jobim

Some GREAT titles, winopener .... only it's Astrud Gilberto with Stanley Turrentine.....

I have most of them on RBCD and the Hubert Laws Rite of Spring, Baltimore [Nina Simone], the Astrud Gilberto and Antonio Carlos Jobim's Stone Flower are stunning.

Only caveat: For non Japanese buyers, all titles only available through CDJapan's PROXY service or various ebay sellers!

Great to see these being released on SACD but much of CTI's catalog has been released in Japan as 192/24 or DSD downloads.

Thanks, didn’t know this. You wouldn’t happen to have the link for the 192/24 purchase?

Thanks, didn’t know this. You wouldn’t happen to have the link for the 192/24 purchase?

These were sold by Onkyo Music which unfortunately closed their online stores on October the 6th 2019. Some of the titles are available on HD-Tracks but not the 50+ titles that were listed on the Onkyo site.

I only wish Dutton Vocalion could've had a crack at those CTI Stereo titles as their pricing at £11.99 per disc would've been much more affordable than TOWER RECORDS Stereo SACD transfers!

And IMO, the PABLO Jazz label of the 70's including the BEST of THE BEST has been sadly ignored. It included impeccably~recorded LPs with some of the hottest jazz artists ever committed to disc.

Great thought right there Ralphie; I mainly buy DV's Multi-Channel titles, but I purchased this one (although only a CD) and thought it sounded wonderful - (and it's two albums for a measly £8.99!)

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDSML8514

Yep, JP, even D~V's RBCDS sound GREAT. And NO compression. I notice D~V is releasing some of Dave Grusin's GRP titles on Stereo SACD and they sound exceptional as well so I have NO qualms about their releasing individual CTI titles as Stereo SACDs......provided they're supplied the analogue master tapes!

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDSML8555
https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDSML8542

Santa & the Reindeers came early this year.

Jim-Hall-Cover.jpg

Jim-Hall-SACD-Details.png

Back