HiRez Poll Who, The - QUADROPHENIA (complete) [BluRay]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of The Who - QUADROPHENIA (complete) [BluRay]

• Total voters
I listened to this again in 5.1 and have come to the conclusion that it needs not sound exactly balanced like the original stereo mix to be brilliant. I love how certain guitar parts both lead and rhythm jump out at the listener like they never did before. It sounds good to me because those guitar parts are good.

In fact if I wanted it to sound like the stereo mix I can simply put on my MFSL gold disc set and use four speakers and be done with it. I'd rather hear this mix in 5.1 and sit back and enjoy. I don't feel like anything is off and missing at all. It's just a different mix and it's in surround.

It is great to hear an old album sounding so completely fresh. So glad the multitrracks did not vanish in an MCA theft or a Uni inferno. I would imagine Pete kept them in his own tape vault for safer keeping. An amazing big double album, thrilling in 5.1!

It sounds like Entwistle's bass was mixed into the front speakers and center channel and treated like a regular lead guitar. I always thought DVD-Audio wasn't or isn't really 5.1 but 6 channels with no bass management/rerouting which is why when first marketed, it was recommended you have your main 5 speakers matched all the same size. So John's bass wasn't relegated to the 6th channel/ subwoofer.
John was one of the best...my first Who show was the Filmore east Tommy debut. Saw them many times. I'd take them over the Stones any day...

Oh I almost forget. So the sub is dead on this 5.1 mix with nothing going on at all?

Worse, there are things going on (bass and kick drum if I remember correctly). You just have to bump up your sub a lot to hear how it should be. And then it just sounded weird at that point, but I am no fan of this mix, so YMMV.

Has anyone noticed that some of the material is not the same as the original vinyl release? Different takes?

I think, I read somewhere that Entwistle did the remix, correct me if I'm wrong, the French horns are more prominent , and his style of Bass is more like Lead guitar.

I’m a little disappointed because this does not sound that clear or good too. Nothing pops out and everything just sounds messy. That upper midrange just sounds weird on some songs. You can definitely hear it on almost every cymbal hit as well as the attack on the toms. It sounds like it was mixed with the early 70s limitations and not in 2014. I’m guessing the tapes were maybe in rough shape, but the tools are still available to help it out...

The fact that I have to crank my LFE up to get anywhere near the proper bass frequencies is really frustrating. There’s apparently some center issues as well that I cannot address because I listen off the discs. Again, If you have to manipulate the channels to get it to sound proper, more points off.

I listened to Quadrophenia yesterday, and decided to try to fix some of the things that bother me. I did not attempt anything complicated because spending too much time fixing something makes me sick of hearing it. Here's what I did:

1) I Am The Sea: The thing is recorded way too loud. When I Am The Sea transitions into The Real Me, the latter sounds totally de-balled with no impact. These two should transition like they do on Entwhilstle's 1979 remix where The Real Me jumps out of the speakers. I lowered the volume on I Am The Sea by -6 dB using Audacity. I like the transition much better now.

2) General EQ: Upper midrange to highs sound messy as noted by @fthesoundguy . Previously, I too thought the bass was problematic, and that is indeed true on some tracks. But I decided to go the opposite direction...I cut the treble by -5 dB across all tracks. I simply did this with the Marantz processor. That deep treble cut seemed to bring up the bass frequencies nicely and smooth out some of the smeary/messy sound of the cymbals without burying the mid to high frequencies. I was surprised by how deep a cut was needed, and how such a deep cut did not sound extreme.

By making these two simple changes, I was able to listen to the 5.1 album start to finish and found it a much more enjoyable listen than in its "as delivered" form...(Well, at least it did yesterday. Who knows what my ears will prefer next Tuesday. LOL)

Oh OK, glad it has been reissued as more of a bargain priced set. I'm surprised. But good for everyone who missed out on the BR single disc version. I mean good as long as this is not a pirate release. If seller c2cowboy has a bunch of them, then it must be legit right!

This is not a pirate set, but it’s not the proper Quadrophenia set, rather it’s the more recent recording Quadrophenia Live In London set. A general release and for some reason, maybe having not finished the full surround mix in time for the earlier box, or having done it but someone had issues with it, they decided to tack it on the end of the live set with little fanfare, almost seems like they were hiding it.

Delighted with my purchase as well.

Very disappointed in only one track.
The 5.1 mix of the best bass line John Entwistle ever played on The Real Me.
Isolated in the left front channel and mixed too low for my ears, robs its power.

Proved to myself that was the case by immediately comparing the 1973 2.0 96/24 LPCM mix included on the blu ray.
Stereo played as DPLII 5.1, the bass is twice as strong and spread across all three fronts, much better.

The rest of the surround mix is delightful and brings out all the unheard nuances one hopes for in a 5.1 of a 50-year-old favorite.
:51QQ:rocks:rocks:rocks:rocks

Last edited:
Listened to it again and just so disappointed at the lack of fricken bass. Put on my ultradisc and enjoyed it more.

The Who's Quadrophenia has been my Holy Grail. And then, I stumbled on this while on eBay. The Who - Quadrophenia Live in London. Behold! Disc 5 is Blu Ray Audio with a 5.1 DTS-HD of the original album. I just finished listening, and feel totally satisified. Donald Scarinci writes about this in Audiophile Sound

https://donaldscarinci.com/whos-qua... Quadrophenia: 5.1 Remix,at Close to the Edge
So...you don't have to pay over $100 for the High Fidelity Pure Audio on eBay. You will find it here, in the 5 disc set.

Attachments

• The Who - Quadrophenia Live in London.jpeg
    The Who - Quadrophenia Live in London.jpeg
    155.8 KB · Views: 3
The Who's Quadrophenia has been my Holy Grail. And then, I stumbled on this while on eBay. The Who - Quadrophenia Live in London. Behold! Disc 5 is Blu Ray Audio with a 5.1 DTS-HD of the original album. I just finished listening, and feel totally satisified. Donald Scarinci writes about this in Audiophile Sound

https://donaldscarinci.com/whos-qua... Quadrophenia: 5.1 Remix,at Close to the Edge
So...you don't have to pay over $100 for the High Fidelity Pure Audio on eBay. You will find it here, in the 5 disc set.
Just to clear things up and thank you for your information.
This Poll Thread is about the 2014 Quadrophenia release in 5.1, the clear Pure Audio slip case. Contains 5.1 and 2.0, 17 tracks each.
The first picture.
The second picture
is The Who Quadrophenia Live In London released also in 2014 in the Blue colored Blu Ray disc slip case. this contains 5.1 but is related to video concert, not studio recording as in the first.
The third picture is the companion 2 CD disc set, of the Live Quadrophenia.
If you want the true studio 5.1, it would be wise to purchase the clear slipcase studio version.
R-5897164-1528316487-6207.jpg
R-7461592-1441957014-7632.jpg
R-6446165-1461159713-7090.jpg

The second picture is The Who Quadrophenia Live In London released also in 2014 in the Blue colored Blu Ray disc slip case. this contains 5.1 but is related to video concert, not studio recording as in the first.
The Live In London set also includes the original studio album in 5.1, same as what's on the HFPA Blu-Ray:

quadrophenia.jpg

Back