OLED TV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember when this thread came up reading through it and thinking how out of touch I've been with new video technology. My "new" tv is a 13 year old Samsung DLP and my older one is an old Sony hi-def, widescreen CRT! I just don't have the excitement for new video technology that I have for my music habit.
But about 2 months ago I got my first bad pixel on the DLP and now have 3 of them so have started looking at what's available and came back to this thread to see what my fellow forum members had to say about things. Not sure if I'll go with OLED or not just because the room I watch this tv in has a lot of windows and is very bright and I'm worried about glare. But in my search, the one thing I've found most interesting so far was the specs on the new Sony A9G where the speaker for the tv is the actual OLED screen. The entire screen is the speaker and seems to get very good reviews for the sound quality. I guess it's also possible to set up your surround system where the tv is your center speaker. I obviously wouldn't want that for music listening, but it might make sense for movie watching where you could use that since the center tends to be where the dialogue is centered and it seems it would provide a large sound field for the voices which is where I have the most trouble hearing over the background sounds.
Anyway, I thought it was an interesting new technology. Anybody here used it and have an opinion?

K

I remember when this thread came up reading through it and thinking how out of touch I've been with new video technology. My "new" tv is a 13 year old Samsung DLP and my older one is an old Sony hi-def, widescreen CRT! I just don't have the excitement for new video technology that I have for my music habit.
But about 2 months ago I got my first bad pixel on the DLP and now have 3 of them so have started looking at what's available and came back to this thread to see what my fellow forum members had to say about things. Not sure if I'll go with OLED or not just because the room I watch this tv in has a lot of windows and is very bright and I'm worried about glare. But in my search, the one thing I've found most interesting so far was the specs on the new Sony A9G where the speaker for the tv is the actual OLED screen. The entire screen is the speaker and seems to get very good reviews for the sound quality. I guess it's also possible to set up your surround system where the tv is your center speaker. I obviously wouldn't want that for music listening, but it might make sense for movie watching where you could use that since the center tends to be where the dialogue is centered and it seems it would provide a large sound field for the voices which is where I have the most trouble hearing over the background sounds.
Anyway, I thought it was an interesting new technology. Anybody here used it and have an opinion?

K
I've a Sony Bravia OLED KD-55AF8 which uses the screen as the speakers, good sound quality and in stereo it works well on stuff on the TV. I'm not a film fanatic so I don't watch a lot of them, my surround system is really used only for music! It might be possible to use the in built speakers for a centre speaker, but only if the TV will let you, nothing in the manual on set-up about doing that though. Connections below.
1604611926019.png

...the new Sony A9G where the speaker for the tv is the actual OLED screen. The entire screen is the speaker and seems to get very good reviews for the sound quality.
I strongly encourage OLED because of the perfect black levels. However, since you were happy with a DLP projector and its grayish blacks, it's probably not such an issue for you. CRTs generally also have excellent black levels, so you certainly were able to see a gamut of black levels. I only watch films at night, so I have no problem with the brightness of an OLED.

Only a few modern TVs have the ability to connect their internal speakers as a center channel, and luckily the Sony A9G appears to be one of them. There are speaker spring terminals available on the back of the TV, and a mode setting in the TVs setup menu.

However... I feel the quality of sound from any internal speaker is not good enough for dialog, and definitely not for a leader singer mixed to the center. I see the bottom end of the A9G stops at 75Hz, and there are also all sorts of resonances below 1KHz. This is not good for natural sounding dialog, nor music. Much of the human voice will then need to be reproduced by the subwoofer, which does not lend credibility. Those messy screen resonances will further hamper the natural sound of a voice.

I put a serious speaker with good low-end under my TV, and my brain doesn't realize the sound is not coming from the mouths a few inches above it. On other hand, my mind could certainly tell that my 6 previous center channel speaker attempts were coloring the sound too much, especially when the center channel carried the lead singer in a discrete 5.1 mix.

I do realize that a great many people aren't very sensitive to speaker coloring, but this is QuadraphonicQuad. We probably appreciate sound quality more than most.

Just chiming in with some real-world experience with the LG CX 48" TV.

This is my first OLED TV, and my third 4K TV. The last two were edge-lit LCDs. Absolutely nothing in the current consumer technology landscape compares to the inky true blacks OLED can achieve. After minor calibration in the ISF Dark Room mode for SDR and HDR, and the Standard mode for Dolby Vision, colors on the CX are correct and vibrant. Self-emissive technology is where it's at.

However, the relatively low peak luminance is a bit disappointing at times. Furthermore, the non-user-configurable-nor-defeatable automatic brightness limiting (ABL) "feature"—designed to maintain the longevity of the OLEDs—can turn what should have been a bright scene into a dark one. This is especially noticeable and annoying when gaming in HDR.

Non-organic micro-LED displays can't come fast enough. In the meantime, I'll be keeping a close eye on QD-OLED, which should be an improvement over the currently available WRGB OLED displays.

Just chiming in with some real-world experience with the LG CX 48" TV.

This is my first OLED TV, and my third 4K TV. The last two were edge-lit LCDs. Absolutely nothing in the current consumer technology landscape compares to the inky true blacks OLED can achieve. After minor calibration in the ISF Dark Room mode for SDR and HDR, and the Standard mode for Dolby Vision, colors on the CX are correct and vibrant. Self-emissive technology is where it's at.

However, the relatively low peak luminance is a bit disappointing at times. Furthermore, the non-user-configurable-nor-defeatable automatic brightness limiting (ABL) "feature"—designed to maintain the longevity of the OLEDs—can turn what should have been a bright scene into a dark one. This is especially noticeable and annoying when gaming in HDR.

Non-organic micro-LED displays can't come fast enough. In the meantime, I'll be keeping a close eye on QD-OLED, which should be an improvement over the currently available WRGB OLED displays.
Another thing I like to know about these TVs @JediJoker; is how are they as to the glare factor?

Not a problem typically at night, but during the day and even sometimes strong home lighting can be an issue.

I admit I did not read the entire thread but at least glanced at the post titles to see if there was anything obviously wrong or obviously correct.
The usual "Back in my day", "TVs are like BIC lighters" are so far off as to not warrant response.
Right now OLED panels and specifically LG OLED panels are the SOTA for Video Fidelity.
It's the same old story, pick your Price\Pain point ratio.
Sony uses OLED panels fabricated by LG but they add they own processing.
Most all "experts" rate them as the pinnacle due to their color processing capability.
But as with many things Sony, you pay a premium for it.
Currently A9H Sony tops the field by a bit. The LG CX gets you within a nit of the A9H.
Whether you think it's worth it is up to you.
The vast majority of consumers will never consider spending $500+ for a professional calibration.
Every display I've owned beginning in 2003 has had it. It matters.
Beginning in 2003 with a Sony HS-20, then a Benq 720p DLP and finally a JVC 1080p DILA has been professionally calibrated and not by some ISF nobody.
ISF "certification" isn't even mentioned any longer as it is a meaningless.

OLEDs are by far the most accurate SMTPE displays you can buy.
Until their introduction, plasma technology reigned supreme.
The first 3 gens of OLED had issues with smoothly transitioning to true black but that is long gone.
The better OLEDs have implemented a pixel refresh mode for people who leave their sets on 24/7 tuned to news or sports.
Plasma was far more susceptible to burn-in and there wasn't a thing you could do about it except be smart.

Watch true 4k content, like The Mandolorian, Lawrence of Arabia, 2001: A Space Odyssey on a calibrated OLED and perhaps you'll be a believer.
It's not all about simple resolution but nits, HDR, color width and Atmos for a start.

Another thing I like to know about these TVs @JediJoker; is how are they as to the glare factor?

Not a problem typically at night, but during the day and even sometimes strong home lighting can be an issue.
Pretty much a non-issue.
I haven't had an issue with glare on my Sony, picture is great, I only notice reflections when the TV is off.

.......... only issue is with the <bleep> <bleep> Android operating system getting in the way of common sense, a trojan for <bleep> <bleep> advertising!

How much do you know about TADF
I liked this bit of forecast:

Lastly, it is worth noting that LG Display's second 8.5G OLED TV factory is now fully operational in China. It uses a new production method (multi-model glass, or MMG) that allows it to efficiently mass produce 48-inch panels together with 77-inch panels. Perhaps 2021 will finally be the year of affordable 77-inch OLED TVs?

Lastly, it is worth noting that LG Display's second 8.5G OLED TV factory is now fully operational in China. It uses a new production method (multi-model glass, or MMG) that allows it to efficiently mass produce 48-inch panels together with 77-inch panels. Perhaps 2021 will finally be the year of affordable 77-inch OLED TVs?

Ah yes...those tricky Chinese...everything that is manufactured seems to originate there....I have to grit my teeth when I'm buying masks and gloves and I see China on the box....the virus originated there and now we buy protective equipment from those same folks....it's Deja Vu for me....after Vietnam I'm buying clothing and food(like Cashews)which originate there...how can this be:unsure:

Ah yes...those tricky Chinese...everything that is manufactured seems to originate there....I have to grit my teeth when I'm buying masks and gloves and I see China on the box....the virus originated there and now we buy protective equipment from those same folks....it's Deja Vu for me....after Vietnam I'm buying clothing and food(like Cashews)which originate there...how can this be:unsure:
I was concentrating more on the affordability aspect; but yes I also noticed that.
Whether we like it or not China is an 800 pound global manufacturing behemoth now.
I just read this morning that they recently signed a major 15 country trade agreement in the Asian region.

I was concentrating more on the affordability aspect; but yes I also noticed that.
Whether we like it or not China is an 800 pound global manufacturing behemoth now.
I just read this morning that they recently signed a major 15 country trade agreement in the Asian region.

I know..,.and that's good that the 77 could see a nice discount in the future....they really aren't "out of range" right now....if you consider the PQ....they have come down a lot..

In a word, Clinty: CHEAP LABOR [with the attendant NO REGARD FOR HUMAN RIGHTS] and as they continue to pollute their rivers with manufacturing debris and have super major pollution problems .... better THEM than US. At least they supplied the genetic codes for the COVID~19 virus [which originated THERE] which enabled Pfizer to create their 95% effective vaccine so quickly.

Blimey I only just got a 55" into the space!

Blimey I only just got a 55" into the space!
I've been living with 45-46 inchers for years, at some point Imma gonna want to get a bigger boat!

Which brings me to another thought ... 4K content is just coming around, but 8K is years off perhaps; would an 8K TV up-convert a standard 1920x1080 image in any noticeable way, like better contrast etc?

I've been living with 45-46 inchers for years, at some point Imma gonna want to get a bigger boat!

Which brings me to another thought ... 4K content is just coming around, but 8K is years off perhaps; would an 8K TV up-convert a standard 1920x1080 image in any noticeable way, like better contrast etc?

JP, even though Japan is forging ahead with 8K, I did read some articles about Samsung's UPCONVERTING 8K TVs and the article went on to say it was NO BIG DEAL.

And with UHD4K discs trickling out from the Majors [VERY disappointing, IMO] and limited bandwidth in the U.S., doubtful we'll be seeing 8K discs from the majors and 8K streaming any time too soon. Maybe in our next lifetime when the Pupster morphs into a Grizzly Bear!🐻

Last edited:
Back