The Allman Brothers Band At Fillmore East dts CD Re-mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J. PUPSTER

💿🐕 Senior Disc Chaser 🎸
QQ Supporter
Here's my first impressions of this as I break it down in Audacity and listen to it channel by channel on the first track Statesboro Blues.

Skydog's slide guitar is mostly in the Rear Left and also in the Front Left and some in the Front Right.

Dicky's rhythm guitar and solo mainly in the Rear Right and some in the Front Right.

The Bass is mainly in the Front Left.

Drums mainly in the Fronts.

Gregg's organ is mainly in the Front Right.

Vocals are prominently in both Fronts with a center aspect.

The center has a mish mash of everything with some mild Vocals by Gregg (it isn't really doing much.)

The LFE is almost non-existent and as far as I can tell, totally useless.

A lot of bleed through everywhere; not a very discrete mix IMO.

I will make some adjustments and have some comments later as I see if I can get more of what I'd like to hear out of this.

TABB-AFE dts SB 5.1 ORIG.jpg

A lot of bleed through everywhere; not a very discrete mix IMO.

It's a live performance, so some bleed is to be expected--but I think they did a pretty remarkable job isolating the different elements. The guitar bleed in the front channels is pretty faint to my ears, maybe 10-25% volume compared to how loud they are in the rears. I don't think I would've noticed it without turning off the rear channels.

For me, it's one of the better live surround mixes out there. If you think this isn't discrete enough, wait until you hear the 5.1 remix on the SACD...

You also have the drums very discretely split with Butch in the right front and Jaimoe in the left front (I'm pretty sure that's who is which). One thing I've found about this, when I first put it on, I was a bit disappointed, but if you crank the bass a touch and the volume a whole bunch, it comes alive and sounds pretty great!

You also have the drums very discretely split with Butch in the right front and Jaimoe in the left front (I'm pretty sure that's who is which). One thing I've found about this, when I first put it on, I was a bit disappointed, but if you crank the bass a touch and the volume a whole bunch, it comes alive and sounds pretty great!

I think you just described the 5.1 mix of Idlewild South. We're talking about the quad mix of Live At The Fillmore East.

Since this DTS release was sourced from Tom Dowd's quad mix for CD-4, QR & Q8, there are no expectations of actual center and LFE content. They tarted it up a little with vague center & sub to call it 5.1 like other DTS titles derived from quad masters.
:ROFLMAO: actually cracking me up with the "tarted it up" bit (but very true!)

Anyway here I am on about my fourth full edit, after extracting and isolating the bass from the fronts (I believe I used a 120hz LPF) into the LFE, extracting the vocals in the fronts for the Center and then editing everything else out between Vox, then switching the Fronts with the Rears (remember I want the Guitars up front), doing lots of other editing and it's still only about 60-70% there.

I still need to work on getting the vocals out of the rears just a bit more, getting the snare out of the Center, etc. etc. Am I nuts (don't answer that... hope it's all worth it in the end) :unsure: :SG

ABB AFE-REMIX-4.jpg

I think you just described the 5.1 mix of Idlewild South. We're talking about the quad mix of Live At The Fillmore East.
No, I actually had it on listening while posting. I'm pretty sure Jaimoe is in the left rear on Idlewild. Those guys are so tight that a lot of the time it sounds like one drummer, but if you listen closely, sometimes only one of them does a fill. Occasionally one of them starts a fill and the other one finishes it.

No, I actually had it on listening while posting. I'm pretty sure Jaimoe is in the left rear on Idlewild. Those guys are so tight that a lot of the time it sounds like one drummer, but if you listen closely, sometimes only one of them does a fill. Occasionally one of them starts a fill and the other one finishes it.
I'm just wondering @Frogmort how much psychoacoustics is coming into play on this; because now with the Fronts switched with the Rears it almost sounds like the Drums have lost some of their punch, maybe I could do some surgical Frequency adjustments to bring the Drumming out some more.

I'm just wondering @Frogmort how much psychoacoustics is coming into play on this; because now with the Fronts switched with the Rears it almost sounds like the Drums have lost some of their punch, maybe I could do some surgical Frequency adjustments to bring the Drumming out some more.

Quite Frankly, Pupster🐶, rather that dwell on the past [a lossless DTS CD], shouldn't your time could be better spent designing a separate from your abode barn like structure on your Golden State property with 5 matching full range speakers and 4 overhead ATMOS types, separate components, a 144 sq. inch Stewart projection screen, a Sony top of the line Laser 3D projector [NO more bulbs] and outrageously expensive top grain leather theater seating, a pop corn machine and a marquee outside the edifice proclaiming PUPSTER'S RETREAT.

As for the WIFE FACTOR ........as she ties Pupster to the "Whipping Post!"

See the source image

HUH?

Last edited:
Quite Frankly, Pupster🐶, rather that dwell on the past [a lossless DTS CD], your time could be better spent designing a separate from your abode barn like structure on your Golden State property with 5 matching full range speakers and 4 overhead ATMOS types, separate components, a 144 sq. inch Stewart projection screen, a Sony top of the line Laser 3D projector [NO more bulbs] and outrageously expensive top grain leather theater seating, a pop corn machine and a marquee outside the edifice proclaiming PUPSTER'S RETREAT.

As for the WIFE FACTOR ........

See the source image

HUH?
So that would be 🐶 Pupster's Kennel? 😜

Carpenters LOL? Seriously though, I must have three versions of this music by now (not that I’m complaining!). I wonder how many times music archivist extraordinaire @Quad Linda has spent money on this🤔?
I can see where the plain ol' stereo version would work; I believe why many feel this is discrete is that the guitars are relatively discrete in the rear channels, but there's pretty much everything else jammed into the fronts.
Yeah, I've got an LP, a couple CDs, dts, BD, and the SACD on the way; with discogs showing 214 flavors out there, and I'd bet the Quad Goddess has tons of 'em!

Back