Rick Wakeman & The English Rock Ensemble - “The Red Planet” CD+DVD out 4/3/2020

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guess what showed up yesterday from importCDs with the pop up & DVD :LB
*I guess there were more in the pipeline and I owe importCDs an apology!

You certainly do, Pupster but IMO, even with that 10% off discount from ImportCD, that Red Planet CD/LOSSY UPMIXED DVD and erroneously listed 96/24 Stereo Remaster [it's 48/16b] WAS A RIP OFF. For that price, I was able to get 4 [COUNT 'EM] UHD4K Discs from Amazon and GREAT titles at that!

But then again, you could always use that Cheesy POP UP insert as a holiday decoration on your artificial Xmas Tree!🎄FaLaLaLaLa! LaLaLaLA

Last edited:

The music is fine .....and actually the DD 5.1 {?] doesn't sound bad at all but Rick should've put it on a LOSSLESS BD~A, dispensed with the pop up and priced it much more reasonably unless he's one of those 'starving artists' which, from the LOOK OF HIS RECENT PHOTO, HE IS NOT!

See the source image

The music is fine .....and actually the DD 5.1 {?] doesn't sound bad at all but Rick should've put it on a LOSSLESS BD~A, dispensed with the pop up and priced it much more reasonably unless he's one of those 'starving artists' which, from the LOOK OF HIS RECENT PHOTO, HE IS NOT!

See the source image

err.. there's no doubt a lot of starving musicians now in the wake of the pandemic!! 😢 what would be the point of putting an upmix on a Blu-ray rather than a DVD!? looking at the guys laying down the tracks individually on their own gear "at home" (due to lockdown) we don't know if some or all parts of the original recording may have been captured at 48k or even (shudder! 😂) 44.1.. it'd all just be more expensive lipstick-on-piggery jiggery pokery tosh and the set would've possibly cost even more with a BD for no good reason other than "its a Blu-ray" 🤷‍♀️

no, we should be happy with the lossy 5.1 upmix we got imho, its better than the nothing in 5.1 we were otherwise doomed to get thanks to covid! 👍

Now this is weird, I didn't cancel my pre-order in Amazon UK and I received the set today. The DVD was packaged together with the booklet and it contains the Dolby mix. What puzzles me is that the back cover is different from the límited edition (no white square for the number) and the barcode is just in the middle. So someone took the effort to print to different back covers for an item that was supposed to be a limited edition only (with the corresponding number)

Now this is weird, I didn't cancel my pre-order in Amazon UK and I received the set today. The DVD was packaged together with the booklet and it contains the Dolby mix. What puzzles me is that the back cover is different from the límited edition (no white square for the number) and the barcode is just in the middle. So someone took the effort to print to different back covers for an item that was supposed to be a limited edition only (with the corresponding number)
Yeah, this whole situation with this release has been an odd one. I too had cancelled mine WAY back from "whoever...can't remember" Moth something?? It still ended up coming anyway......at least, it came, but only with the CD. Later, I got the DVD, with DD mix.

Sticking the landing:

I had goosebumps and nearly teared up when I watched the video with the commentary! So damn cool. Not many things make me emotional, but I guess landing on another planet (and being able to watch it!) is one of those things! Wakeman's album is pretty much a once a day listen while doing things around the house right now.

Back