My New Amplification Project (moved from another thread)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerJAU

Moderator: MCH Media Players
Staff member
I’ve just ordered two custom built amps to drive my 5 B&W 800 series speakers.

Stereo chassis with two HypeX NC1200 amps and upgraded Sparkos OP amps and upgraded buffers
Triple chassis with 3 x HypeX NC1200 amps with stock HypeX buffers

Both do 400W into 8 ohms, 700W into 4 ohms, 1200W into 2 ohms (all 1% THD ratings). The NC1200 does 200W into 8 Ohms at 0.0015 THD.

These will replace my Arcam AVR600 (120W) that’s currently driving the B&Ws. My two 802Ds are notoriously difficult to drive going down to 3 ohms (100Hz to 1kHz). The NC1200 can do 1200W into 2 ohm, 40 Amps!

EDIT: Actually all 5 of my main B&W speakers go down to 3 ohms from 100Hz to 1kHz

I‘ll do a write up on these once installed and running.

Last edited:
I’ve just ordered two custom built amps to drive my 5 B&W 800 series speakers.

Stereo chassis with two HypeX NC1200 amps and upgraded Sparkos OP amps and upgraded buffers
Triple chassis with 3 x HypeX NC500 MKII amps and upgraded Sparkos OP amps and upgraded buffers

Both do 400W into 8ohms, 700W into 4ohms.

These will replace my Arcam AVR600 (120W) that’s currently driving the B&Ws. My two 802Ds are notoriously difficult to drive going down to 2ohms. The NC1200 can do 1200W into 2 ohm, 40 Amps!

Ill do a write up on these once installed and a 100hrs on the amps.
And you can use the NC1200 for arc welding in a pinch!
Wow, seriously, nice gear.

Here’s what the chassis looks like. Imported Japanese aluminium case then powder coated. Huge heat sink/fins on each side

Front:
AB3E1825-2877-450A-B006-583564A3F189.jpeg

FC0E41E8-4C7A-4DBB-9C2F-6DF229F9B38A.jpeg

I’m not building this, it’s being done by new startup audio company (one man band I think) here in Australia. But all the parts can be purchased, the HypeX parts (amp boards and power supplies) are designed and made in Holland. OpAmp and Input Buffer made in USA. Options for connectors (XLR, posts etc) and wiring are made in Japan or US.

The HypeX class D amps are used by many audio manufacturers around the world. You can get the tech specs on the HypeX website. Basically the higher the rated output the less distortion.

The test results on AudioScience website show these outperform just about everything else they’ve tested.

Here’s a US company that custom build these. Including multichannel amps:

https://vtvamplifier.com/
Mine use their input buffer with the Sparkos 2590 op amp. You can read about this combo on the above site.

I just moved these posts from another thread to this one.

There's an update. The tri channel amp is now using HypeX NC1200 amplifiers from 2 x 1200W power supplies. So all 5 main channels will be NC1200s. I've edited the OP which originally had NC500 amps in the tri channel chassis.

Due to Covid shipping delays and NC machine problems both amps are now due first week in January....

Last edited:
Here's my stereo amp during construction: HypeX Amps at back of photo (vertical on on front of amp), 2 x 1200W power supplies on sides against heat sinks, two black buffer PCBs in centre with custom Op amps):

PXL_20201220_062809740%20(003).jpg

What it looks like from the front when completed. The amp on top is another case option, natural wood sides. This has the latest back panel layout/logos:
PXL_20201025_093900400.jpg

Here's my stereo amp during construction: HypeX Amps at back of photo (vertical on on front of amp), 2 x 1200W power supplies on sides against heat sinks, two black buffer PCBs in centre with custom Op amps):

PXL_20201220_062809740%20(003).jpg

What it looks like from the front when completed. The amp on top is another case option, natural wood sides. This has the latest back panel layout/logos:
PXL_20201025_093900400.jpg
Nice

WOW, The machining on that case is awesome. What a beautiful design, anything like that from the high end will be 5 figures +!

I should finally have theses two new amps next week. The chassis are now completed and powder coated. Internal wiring on the tri channel amp will be completed in next couple of days then testing before they ship late this week.

In the mean time I made 3 new 10AWG speaker cables for the 3 fronts and two trigger cables so my AVR will auto switch the amps power when I power up the AVR.

10AWG Cables.jpg

Last edited:
My amps in testing this weekend. Delivery mid next week. Here's a couple of progress photos:

Stereo amp (finished - independent 1200W power supplies):
StereoPXL_20210106_075755646.jpg

Tri-Channel amp (wiring in progress - centre channel with its own 1200W power supply, stereo pair with shared 1200W PS):
TriChannelPXL_20210107_054522194.jpg

Do you know the weight of each piece?

Not yet. The chassis will be reasonably heavy due to the huge heat sinks and 3mm thick material but the electronics wont be. they use switching power supplies which don't have huge transformers.

Will you have to upgrade the wiring in your house too?

My room has 4 separate double 10A wall sockets (240V 10A 2400W) fed from a 40A circuit breaker.

I have 3 x 2400W 4 socket power boards with both lightning protection and power line filters. I will split all my equipment across the 3 power boards, 1 amplifier per board and my AVR to the 3rd. So power shouldn’t be an issue.

Class D amplifiers are over 90% efficient, Switching Mode Power Supplies are high efficiency too.

I’m not planning on playing at stadium loudness. The amp upgrade is more about better headroom/dynamics, lowering THD and adding more power to the low impedance dips in my speakers. In theory I should hear a benefit, but as yet that’s still an unknown...

Back