Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the Switched on Bach series would be PERFECT for DV, especially if it's true that Wendy Carlos owns the rights to the material. DV seems to have a lot of classical material, which this technically is, but it also have a bit of pop crossover appeal. And with Wendy's connection to the surround world, this should be a perfect fit!
:51QQ

I think the Switched on Bach series would be PERFECT for DV, especially if it's true that Wendy Carlos owns the rights to the material.
And not just her Bach recordings. Love Windy's 12-minute Pompous Circumstances track from her By Request album (1973). Also love her own 1972 Clockwork Orange album.

Another electronic gem I recall from my childhood is Kraft & Alexander's 1812 and Nutcracker Suite (London Records label, 1977). Would love to hear a quad mix of that one.

R-118822-1418582739-6301.jpeg.jpg
R-180334-1200352146.jpeg.jpg
K&A 1812.jpg

The Cross album not being released is a good thing, right? :)
Well, everything that has ever been mixed in quad or 5.1 should be released regardless of whether I like it or not. BTW I read that Cross had a bad case of COVID...not so much the symptoms, but rather having it suddenly left him with Guillain-Barré syndrome that paralyzed him for a while. Bad stuff!

And not just her Bach recordings. Love Windy's 12-minute Pompous Circumstances track from her By Request album (1973). Also love her own 1972 Clockwork Orange album.

Another electronic gem I recall from my childhood is Kraft & Alexander's 1812 and Nutcracker Suite (London Records label, 1977). Would love to hear a quad mix of that one.

View attachment 59452View attachment 59453View attachment 59456
Ovation Records also has "Comic Carmen", from Hans Wurmann. I have it on QS; it would be a great SACD, too.

I wonder.... can D-V get access to the Elton John remixes? Those haven't been re-issued have they? Would be nice if they could complete the set and give us "Don't Shoot Me" and "Caribou" to complete the classic set. It's my understanding those albums were remixed. An enterprising fellow could even put together a "Greatest Hits" in stereo & 5.1 with the completion of those albums.

I wonder.... can D-V get access to the Elton John remixes? Those haven't been re-issued have they? Would be nice if they could complete the set and give us "Don't Shoot Me" and "Caribou" to complete the classic set. It's my understanding those albums were remixed. An enterprising fellow could even put together a "Greatest Hits" in stereo & 5.1 with the completion of those albums.
Along with Blue Moves, from Elton, which was completed as well.

This may have been mentioned earlier in this thread:

The CD layer could contain the Matrix encoded (all software
SQ or QS [possibly Involve Audio] Quad encoder) version of
the Discrete Quad content on the SACD layer.

That way CD/Stereo listeners would get to hear the Quad
mix (some with significant differences from the existing
Stereo mix) and be able to decode (w/Headphones, simple
Matrix or logic directed Matrix decoders) the Quad content.

(maybe the original Stereo mix could be made available
as a Streaming option, with a "Redeem Stereo" paper
insert with a code a la Blu-ray movies)

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:
This may have been mentioned earlier in this thread:

The CD layer could contain the Matrix encoded (all software
SQ or QS [possibly Involve Audio] Quad encoder) version of
the Discrete Quad content on the SACD layer.

That way CD/Stereo listeners would get to hear the Quad
mix (some with significant differences from the existing
Stereo mix) and be able to decode (w/Headphones, simple
Matrix or logic directed Matrix decoders) the Quad content.

Kirk Bayne
I believe this one Bob mentioned, but yeah could be an interesting extra feature, and I'm sure if an Involve encode @Chucky would love it -LOL

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...annel-sacd-releases.22962/page-91#post-528465

Since so much of what DV is drawing from is from Sony Music, how about some Barbra Streisand, Andy Williams, and other great vocalists who had SQ versions of albums released back in the day?

As for Kirk's suggestion about matrix-encoding the stereo layer, I don't agree with that idea. Some people might buy the SACD's exclusively for listening in stereo, and they should have the original stereo mix available to them on the disc. A possible option might to keep the SACD stereo layer pure stereo, and make the CD layer Involve-encoded. Is that a good compromise?

Back