DSD Capability

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atomicdog

I have an OPPO 105 that is DSD capable and it's hooked up to a Marantz 1609 AVR (also DSD capable). But when I insert an SACD into the OPPO and set it for DSD, the Marantz reads only PCM. Is this because I'm using HDMIs on both devices?

The Marantz 1609 can only play native stereo DSD via USB and DLNA. It doesn't support native DSD over HDMI (I've an NR1710 and I had the same issue) - see the specs from the manual

1605742752676.png

PCM is what I typically go for. Question: what is the resolution of PCM?
It depends on the decimation (= dividing down the sample rate, usually by factors of 2, and then low pass filtering) from DSD, but it should be 24-bit at 88.2kHz (maybe 44.1kHz). The Oppo does it to 24-bit, can't remember the final sample rate!

I was disappointed to find that my Oppo BDP-103 does not recognise .dsf files on my computers hard drive. I was hoping that I would be able to play them in DSD rather than converted to PCM. Previously I usually converted to flac.; but because Foobar will play .dsf (even though by converting to PCM) I think it's best to keep the native format. I'm convinced that the big improvement in SACD sound that I have experienced with the 103 is due to not converting DSD to PCM!

It should. All my 10x and 20x Oppos will do so and I think some earlier ones, too.
Checking other posts on other sites and sounds like it will work via UBS, I'll try that soon. But what I wanted to do is stream via my home network. I can see music files on my C-drive but not .dsf, it doesn't even show the folder! Also I wanted to be able to stream from additional hard drives other than the system C-drive., but can't see the other drives either.

par4ken,
The first thing I'd do is throw a few well-listened familiar dsf tracks on a USB thumb drive and listen to them through the Oppo. If they sound better than the spinning SACD disc, then you know you need to get a good linear powered portable USB enclosure and throw a hard drive in it. If the file is equal or less than the sq of the disc quit your project and listen to your discs. :)

Checking other posts on other sites and sounds like it will work via UBS, I'll try that soon. But what I wanted to do is stream via my home network. I can see music files on my C-drive but not .dsf, it doesn't even show the folder! Also I wanted to be able to stream from additional hard drives other than the system C-drive., but can't see the other drives either.
USb will work, too, but the problem is not with the Oppo but with your network setup. Can you describe it?

par4ken,
The first thing I'd do is throw a few well-listened familiar dsf tracks on a USB thumb drive and listen to them through the Oppo. If they sound better than the spinning SACD disc, then you know you need to get a good linear powered portable USB enclosure and throw a hard drive in it. If the file is equal or less than the sq of the disc quit your project and listen to your discs. :)
Are you implying that a DSF file stored on optical disc and an identical DSF file stored on USB could sound different when played through the same decoder?

I'll try to get access on my 205 and computer today via Network from a USB SSD and my SACD .dsf files. Usually I just plug the SSD into the front of the oppo and let fly.
I use .dsf, as I've mentioned before, because I just want to get the best ripped sound I can out of my SACD purchases, whether I can hear the difference in sound or not, as I paid extra for that quality.

Here's a thread I started recently for this very issue; if I can get it to work I'll detail it there for the audio files (I use a Win. 7 Pro. and Win. 10 NUC machines):
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-computer-to-an-oppo-player-and-others.29065/

Are you implying that a DSF file stored on optical disc and an identical DSF file stored on USB could sound different when played through the same decoder?
Yes, file based playback may be revelatory, even here, without the noise and error correction of a spinning disc and mechanism. It's one reason why Oppos are being used as stand alone dacs (realizing also that file-based playback is much more convenient too :) ).

So by updating the music library in Windows Media Player to include the other hard drive (not just the C-drive) I can now see and play those files via the network! Who would of thought that the media player that I don't even use controls streaming to other devices! I can now also see the folders of the .dsf files, but the files still don't show.

I'm gonna guess, not looking at your network, that Windows Media Player, being not-DSD capable, is one of your issues.
I think that you are right about that. I just tried .dsf files via USB and it works fine! I now know how to steam all my other music (PCM) hard drives as well, so I am pretty happy. I guess that I can live with storing the .dsf files on a separate drive connected via USB. Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions.

I think that you are right about that. I just tried .dsf files via USB and it works fine! I now know how to steam all my other music (PCM) hard drives as well, so I am pretty happy. I guess that I can live with storing the .dsf files on a separate drive connected via USB. Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions.
Just checked, and no, my 205 does not see the .dsf files either through the network/Windows Media Player- bummer!

I believe I've brought this up before, if there might be a way to push the files via Foobar2000 or some other app, but then I also believe that Foobar2K converts the dsf to PCM first from your previous post -then not an option?

Back