Welcome Thread: New Members please introduce yourself here

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Everyone,

Just found this, so glad this forum exists! Doing some "catching up" on multi-channel audio...I really, really enjoy what I have and what I have heard, wish I had been plugged in earlier to catch stuff when released (for "normal" retail prices! lol). Have several multi-channel discs, but of course...not enough!

I love music, and ever since getting "LA Woman" DVD-A and hearing "Riders On The Storm" on a semi-capable system, I'm hooked!

Anyway, good listening to all!

Welllllllllllcome aboard Esgo - Awesome ya found us and you will love all the info her and all the awesome koo friendly peeps toooooooo - Ya man some of the Doors stuff is Koooooo -feel free to ask all the questions ya need to have answered no matter how nooby they seem......believe me, Snood was you a few years back and if not for all these koo peeps willing to answer my questions that were nooby, Snood would still be half the noob me still is lol....... this place is Aweeeeeeeesome :LB :rocks:LB

Hi all, new member here from Philadelphia PA. What’s that you say? That “bad things happen in Philly”? Superbad. Like the Philadelphia Sound, Bowie recording Young Americans, Hall & Oates, The Roots, Jill Scott, Croce n’ Coltrane. ;)

I would echo all that esgoingallin said in general. During the early days of COVID I finally did a little more research on hi-res audio first, and quickly sold a bunch of old equipment and CDs to upgrade to a hi-res streamer with a McIntosh hybrid tube/solid state amp and a nice pair of Focal speakers and dang... albums I know like the back of my hand were suddenly revelatory again.

But I also had this pile of King Crimson 40th anniversary remasters that had been taunting me with surround sound mixes I knew were there but had no means to play. So, that was my next exploration (separate from the aforementioned 2ch setup) in the living room... nothing as fancy (a Yamaha amp, set of Fluance surrounds and a Sony disc player that’ll play every format I throw at it), and just recently had that first time experience I know you all have. Trying to explain it to a buddy of mine I just said “yeah, these mixes are kinda their own animal... each very subjective and sort of another way to get close to recordings you love by kinda stepping inside them and getting to move around in there. Revelatory? Absolutely. Definitive? Not necessarily. Fun? Ohhh yeah.

So now I’m really continuing to try to get a sense of what’s out there content wise and piece together that collection, so the reviews and polls here have just been awesome to find. So glad I found this! Thanks all!

Hi all, new member here from Philadelphia PA. What’s that you say? That “bad things happen in Philly”? Superbad. Like the Philadelphia Sound, Bowie recording Young Americans, Hall & Oates, The Roots, Jill Scott, Croce n’ Coltrane. ;)

I would echo all that esgoingallin said in general. During the early days of COVID I finally did a little more research on hi-res audio first, and quickly sold a bunch of old equipment and CDs to upgrade to a hi-res streamer with a McIntosh hybrid tube/solid state amp and a nice pair of Focal speakers and dang... albums I know like the back of my hand were suddenly revelatory again.

But I also had this pile of King Crimson 40th anniversary remasters that had been taunting me with surround sound mixes I knew were there but had no means to play. So, that was my next exploration (separate from the aforementioned 2ch setup) in the living room... nothing as fancy (a Yamaha amp, set of Fluance surrounds and a Sony disc player that’ll play every format I throw at it), and just recently had that first time experience I know you all have. Trying to explain it to a buddy of mine I just said “yeah, these mixes are kinda their own animal... each very subjective and sort of another way to get close to recordings you love by kinda stepping inside them and getting to move around in there. Revelatory? Absolutely. Definitive? Not necessarily. Fun? Ohhh yeah.

So now I’m really continuing to try to get a sense of what’s out there content wise and piece together that collection, so the reviews and polls here have just been awesome to find. So glad I found this! Thanks all!
Whilst we wait for the ‘Nanner surprise; I’ll just say welcome RustyS.. :SG
Using the the well travelled Polls and first trying out stuff you love, should help to bury those sweet little hooks ever deeper into your aural soul - and may your wallet be forever greenback challenged :p

Greetings and salutations Rusty:hi:51QQ:danceIf you need some recommendations for buying music..let us know(y)...just curious...do you have a turntable?

Not since way back in the day, no. I’ve tried twice to get back into it because I adore the aesthetic and the physicality of it, but what I’ve learned about myself is that I just get completely distracted by pops, clicks and other imperfections... probably a character flaw, but I’m just so focused on it that it makes it more of a technical exercise than just enjoying and being lost in the music. I love vicariously through vinyl addict friends. And they through me, with surround. Symbiotic.

I’m also such a completist that going back in that direction would likely bankrupt me quickly! And have me running out of physical space mighty quickly. Comparatively, a lot fewer surround discs around (though let’s hope that trends otherwise), even though scooping up the older ones is pricey!

Thanks for the welcome - I’m about to go spin The Seeds if Love in 5.1!

Welcome Rusty! I'm in the part of Jersey closest to Philly.....great city for beer!

Hi all, new member here from Philadelphia PA. What’s that you say? That “bad things happen in Philly”? Superbad. Like the Philadelphia Sound, Bowie recording Young Americans, Hall & Oates, The Roots, Jill Scott, Croce n’ Coltrane.

And don't forget:

CREAM CHEESE.jpg

But really, pleased to meet you & thanks for the self intro. Looking forward to future posts certainly. I might point out there's a place in your profile to list your equipment & other stuff. Strictly optional but fun to share. McIntosh & Focal's as Snood would say are way cooo.

Heeeeeeeeya Rusty - Yeah Surround done right is certainly Revelatory fo Sho!! :LB :LB:LB

You will find everyone here is willing to help with any and all questions. Yes every new Surround mix done well is awesome and can only imagine how ya felling when ya hear them.......When Snood just got into this Hobby i was like this :eek: all the time with some of the well known early DVD-A stuff and a lot of stuff after that.

Not every mix is a winner for sure, but this is the right place to find the best ones out there :rocks:SB:rocks

So Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride :love::LB:love:

Hi Rusty! I don’t post here much but read it daily and learn a lot of good info! I’m from Phoenixville and have been into surround since I first heard it in the late 60’s. As you stated, a lot of good surround music out of Philly, but don’t forget the music from Sigma sound (Spinners, O’Jays, Harold Melvin & Bluenotes, etc.) Welcome aboard!

Hi Everyone,

Just found this, so glad this forum exists! Doing some "catching up" on multi-channel audio...I really, really enjoy what I have and what I have heard, wish I had been plugged in earlier to catch stuff when released (for "normal" retail prices! lol). Have several multi-channel discs, but of course...not enough!

I love music, and ever since getting "LA Woman" DVD-A and hearing "Riders On The Storm" on a semi-capable system, I'm hooked!

Ola

Hi Everyone,

If you don't already have THIS ONE I would recommend it if you like the Doors

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, and have been quietly reading up on past threads over the last couple of months. Wow, mountains of information here! I found this site accidentally. After buying some not so great surround mixes earlier in the year, I decided to search for decent reviews of the surround content on audio discs in order to see which ones to avoid. The information here has been fantastic, and in addition I've also discovered a lot of surround discs that I was unaware of (there goes the bank account!). So, thank you for the tons of information and I'm glad to be on board.

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, and have been quietly reading up on past threads over the last couple of months. Wow, mountains of information here! I found this site accidentally. After buying some not so great surround mixes earlier in the year, I decided to search for decent reviews of the surround content on audio discs in order to see which ones to avoid. The information here has been fantastic, and in addition I've also discovered a lot of surround discs that I was unaware of (there goes the bank account!). So, thank you for the tons of information and I'm glad to be on board.

Welcome to the forum :51QQ don't be afraid to speak up if you need any help....we are a friendly bunch on here..if you are looking for titles to buy...check out the surround polls(the button at the top of the forum will get you there)

Welcome to the forum :51QQ don't be afraid to speak up if you need any help....we are a friendly bunch on here..if you are looking for titles to buy...check out the surround polls(the button at the top of the forum will get you there)
Thanks for the welcome. I do have a few questions and comments that I will post on the appropriate threads as I begin to get my feet wet here. I did manage to find the surround polls, they have been very helpful.

Everyone on this board has been amazing and very helpful. Glad I found it earlier this year, too. 😁

Hello,all. I’m Mike. I am into tube radios, vintage transistor radios and vintage stereo equipment. I have all the SQ records I bought new in the day. Last spring I picked up a Marantz 4400. Although I’ve never been into R2R, I recently got an Akai 1730 DSS. As of this time I have no Quad tapes for it. Just yesterday I got an ElectroVoice EVX44. I am into 70’s rock - Zep, Doors, Who, Floyd, etc. I hope I can get some advice on finding some music without spending a fortune. I look forward to some interesting discussions.

Hello,all. I’m Mike. I am into tube radios, vintage transistor radios and vintage stereo equipment. I have all the SQ records I bought new in the day. Last spring I picked up a Marantz 4400. Although I’ve never been into R2R, I recently got an Akai 1730 DSS. As of this time I have no Quad tapes for it. Just yesterday I got an ElectroVoice EVX44. I am into 70’s rock - Zep, Doors, Who, Floyd, etc. I hope I can get some advice on finding some music without spending a fortune. I look forward to some interesting discussions.
Awesome, sounds like you belong here Mike,

If you don’t already know about this site-
Discogs - Music Database and Marketplace it’s your Oberth maneuver for the jump to Interstellar Quad/Surround and all things that push your stick! :D

Back