Is Pizza A World Dish

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since we have quite a few new members....I brought back the pizza thread...hopefully someone will share their pizza recipes or best places to get pizza..
First time I've seen this thread. Thanks for bumping it. Ah, pizza. The perfect triad of sodium, fat, carbs. It ain't health food. So I have an opinion if I'm going to enjoy something so un-healthy but delicious, I'll "limit" myself to only the good stuff. No Ceasers, Domino's or Pizza Hut for me. In the KC area there's almost as many quality pizza shops as BBQ restaurants. My fave place is called Minsky's and there's 3 or 4 menu choices I always go back to. I usually go for thin crust. Not because of the fewer carbs but because the pizza slice is, um, self supporting. It seems in our area one goal is to cook the piazza in as little time as possible with no crispness. So you get a goodly sized slice that must be held with both hands to be delivered to the mouth. In that regard St. Louis
style pizza excels & I love the Provel cheese.

As a fan of many things Asian I love to keep track of how American or non-Asian foods translate to Eastern tastes. Cokes, Pepsi, chocolate, are among some items that taste noticebly different than what we're used to. Burger King has a much wider & unique menu in Japan than at home, and did you know that KFC is the choice place to get food during the holidays, ex-pat or not.

So getting around to Japanese pizza. some of the American chains are there as well. Pizza hut is pretty big. But there are many other choices each putting thir own twist on it. Sorta like how Mexican food becomes Tex-Mex.

https://soranews24.com/2013/10/27/10-crazy-pizzas-from-japan/

Last edited:
I also don't care for Ceasers, Domino's or Pizza Hut; but a regional Pizza joint around Central California is "Round Table" which I love both the Italian Garlic Supreme & Maui Zaui pizzas.

I no longer buy frozen pizzas, but I use pre-made pizza crust and put my own toppings on at home.

I'll also use this Naan as a substitute in a pinch, to make a sort of personal size (made with Buttermilk) that works well.
https://www.stonefire.com/products/original-naan/
Basically I go for more toppings than crust. Here is how I'd build a typical pizza:

Tomato sauce, some pizza type herbs, 80% Mozzarella/10% Monterey Jack/10% Parmigiano-Reggiano (the Parmesan gives a nice salty slant to it.), sliced garlic, sliced Baby Bella mushrooms, sliced Jalapeño peppers, green onions, sliced Cherub tomatoes, sliced black olives, and Hormel Pepperoni on top. Cook it on the rack or pizza stone at about 450 deg. for 10 min. and then switch to a low Broil for a few minutes to crisp the pepperoni and make it taste more bacony (but be careful not to burn.)

It's interesting to note, that it takes very little of each topping to cover a pizza (makes sense why a pizza joint is a popular restaurant, as the profit must be good.)

I hate chicken on pizza! I'm a dog, but not some sleazy, skanky Chupacabra going for some old reheated nasty tasting poultry.

I also don't care for Ceasers, Domino's or Pizza Hut; but a regional Pizza joint around Central California is "Round Table" which I love both the Italian Garlic Supreme & Maui Zaui pizzas.

I no longer buy frozen pizzas, but I use pre-made pizza crust and put my own toppings on at home.

I'll also use this Naan as a substitute in a pinch, to make a sort of personal size (made with Buttermilk) that works well.
https://www.stonefire.com/products/original-naan/
Basically I go for more toppings than crust. Here is how I'd build a typical pizza:

Tomato sauce, some pizza type herbs, 80% Mozzarella/10% Monterey Jack/10% Parmigiano-Reggiano (the Parmesan gives a nice salty slant to it.), sliced garlic, sliced Baby Bella mushrooms, sliced Jalapeño peppers, green onions, sliced Cherub tomatoes, sliced black olives, and Hormel Pepperoni on top. Cook it on the rack or pizza stone at about 450 deg. for 10 min. and then switch to a low Broil for a few minutes to crisp the pepperoni and make it taste more bacony (but be careful not to burn.)

It's interesting to note, that it takes very little of each topping to cover a pizza (makes sense why a pizza joint is a popular restaurant, as the profit must be good.)

I hate chicken on pizza! I'm a dog, but not some sleazy, skanky Chupacabra going for some old reheated nasty tasting poultry.
So then. What you feel about cheese burger pizza's? A fave alternate of mine. Hmmm... pickles.

Homemade pizza, on a stone on the grill = tasty. Whatever sauce or toppings...it's all good. One of my faves is just to brush the thin crust with olive oil, top with artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomato, garlic and of course green chile...prefer fontina over mozzarella, maybe grate some fresh parmesan on top after its cooked.

First time I've seen this thread. Thanks for bumping it. Ah, pizza. The perfect triad of sodium, fat, carbs. It ain't health food. So I have an opinion if I'm going to enjoy something so un-healthy but delicious, I'll "limit" myself to only the good stuff. No Ceasers, Domino's or Pizza Hut for me. In the KC area there's almost as many quality pizza shops as BBQ restaurants. My fave place is called Minsky's and there's 3 or 4 menu choices I always go back to. I usually go for thin crust. Not because of the fewer carbs but because the pizza slice is, um, self supporting. It seems in our area one goal is to cook the piazza in as little time as possible with no crispness. So you get a goodly sized slice that must be held with both hands to be delivered to the mouth. In that regard St. Louis
style pizza excels & I love the Provel cheese.

As a fan of many things Asian I love to keep track of how American or non-Asian foods translate to Eastern tastes. Cokes, Pepsi, chocolate, are among some items that taste noticebly different than what we're used to. Burger King has a much wider & unique menu in Japan than at home, and did you know that KFC is the choice place to get food during the holidays, ex-pat or not.

So getting around to Japanese pizza. some of the American chains are there as well. Pizza hut is pretty big. But there are many other choices each putting thir own twist on it. Sorta like how Mexican food becomes Tex-Mex.

https://soranews24.com/2013/10/27/10-crazy-pizzas-from-japan/

It's always interesting to me to hear these personal accounts....I am surprised that KC is a hotbed for great pizza....they certainly have a reputation for great barbecue....other hot spots known for pizza are Chicago...with it's deep dish...and New York with it's thin crust....I'm partial to the thin crust style.. growing up in the Midwest I became fond of the very simple square cut pizza...the key for me is the sauce...that's where the big chains like Dominos and Pizza Hut fail...I just don't like the sauce...when I was living in Florida there was only once place I found that I liked...it was a small shop in Tampa...it was a little modest shop...some would say a "dump"....the guy who owned it came from New York and he actually got his water from NY to make the dough...

OK now I thought 2020 was getting weird; what have you done with SW? Are you responsible for the Steve Hoffman hack also?
😲

Fear not J Pup. No pod people have abducted or replaced me.
podpeople 2.jpg

But I understand your concern. I should have been more specific: I like ketchup, mustard, relish on my hot dogs, not eggs. That would be silly. Ketchup or HP Sauce on eggs, of course.
I didn't hack nor do I even frequent the SH forums. QQ is audio oasis enough for me.

As for maple syrup on spaghetti: praise the Lord & pass the insulin!

View attachment 59624

But I understand your concern. I should have been more specific: I like ketchup, mustard, relish on my hot dogs, not eggs. That would be silly. Ketchup or HP Sauce on eggs, of course.
I didn't hack nor do I even frequent the SH forums. QQ is audio oasis enough for me.

and furthermore...
in honor of General McAuliffe-
“Balls”

and furthermore...
in honor of General McAuliffe-
“Balls”

Interesting little tutorial. I have never thought of making pizza balls. And I don't think I've noticed them on a menu. It has just occurred to me that if our own Clint Eastwood made them on the International Space Station they would be:
SPACE BALLS.jpg

View attachment 59624

Before the pupster brings this up...and for the record...you had nothing to do with the kidnapping of the Lindbergh baby either:whistle:

Back