Welcome Thread: New Members please introduce yourself here

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,all. I’m Mike. I am into tube radios, vintage transistor radios and vintage stereo equipment. I have all the SQ records I bought new in the day. Last spring I picked up a Marantz 4400. Although I’ve never been into R2R, I recently got an Akai 1730 DSS. As of this time I have no Quad tapes for it. Just yesterday I got an ElectroVoice EVX44. I am into 70’s rock - Zep, Doors, Who, Floyd, etc. I hope I can get some advice on finding some music without spending a fortune. I look forward to some interesting discussions.

Welcome Mike :hi do you have any modern equipment that will play SACD's and Blu Ray audio discs...like an Oppo?

Thanks for the link pupster. Never knew that maneuver had a name.

I had to look Sacd and Oppo up, Clint. I am 66 years old, have albums that I have bought on vinyl, 8 track, cassette, and CD. About the last thing I am looking to do is to get into another format. Unless I can find “A Space in Time “ in quad on it with a ton of other classic rock stuff, I am probably not going to be interested. I know I am a fossil, but I will take a stereo pumping out a couple hundred honest to goodness watts (as in rms @ 8 ohms 20 - 20,000 hz) through four foot high speakers rather than a 7.1 or whatever the latest surround sound format is in vogue anyday. I don’t write this to rebuke your question, just to describe where I am coming from, which is basically the seventies.

I had to look Sacd and Oppo up, Clint. I am 66 years old, have albums that I have bought on vinyl, 8 track, cassette, and CD. About the last thing I am looking to do is to get into another format. Unless I can find “A Space in Time “ in quad on it with a ton of other classic rock stuff, I am probably not going to be interested. I know I am a fossil, but I will take a stereo pumping out a couple hundred honest to goodness watts (as in rms @ 8 ohms 20 - 20,000 hz) through four foot high speakers rather than a 7.1 or whatever the latest surround sound format is in vogue anyday. I don’t write this to rebuke your question, just to describe where I am coming from, which is basically the seventies.

I understand completely....I mentioned that because there is a great source of quad music available right now in the SACD format from THIS SOURCE Some of us have the quad version of A Space in Time on DVD in this little set

Well *Clint beat me to it (but the fronts are swapped with the rears and should be corrected):
https://www.discogs.com/Ten-Years-After-A-Space-In-Time/release/3905345
and some Quad 8 tracks also:
https://www.discogs.com/Ten-Years-After-A-Space-In-Time/release/11471662

Welcome aboard 1968 very koo on the collection ya got and glad ya found us. So make sure you ask all the questions you want and post as much as ya want. You will find lotsa of friendly peeps here willing to help and try to answer. Just watch out for Snood. Me try to warn everybody but they no listen :SB

Hi,
I was recommended here by Kal at the Stereophile forum.

I'm a semi-pro musician, audio engineer and producer and after 30 years have only just got into surround.

I've always been interested in surround audio but always thought it should be done properly with full size speakers rather than those small things you see in supermarkets.
Finally, over the last couple of months I've put together three pairs of vintage B&O S35's and a Denon receiver in a 5.1 config and it sounds amazing!!

I guess I was tempted to do this through collecting the deluxe editions of Marillion albums that have been released over recent years - I've got the five that have been released so far (including the two with the SW mixes) and have realised that I've also got few Mike Oldfield, Steve Hackett and Peter Gabriel albums (I'd love to get the Genesis albums in surround) - I'd like to know where the best place is to (legally) download mainstream releases from artists like Genesis? ...or am I best off ripping DVD/BR/SACD's ?

Production wise - I was a professional musician during the 90's and learned to record and mix to a commercial standard in that time (Most of the time in a studio that was originally set up to mix Elton John albums into Quad).
Since then I've mainly just done stuff for myself but I'm planning to release an album of Prog'ish music over the next year or so with a bunch of very talented musicians - I'll definitely be diving into mixing in 5.1 and plan to start by up-mixing some of my own stereo mixes - initially by playing back through my B&O setup and then probably adding to my studio monitors (currently JBL).

Here's an example of one of my stereo mixes just to give you an idea - this is a Marillion cover...

Anyway - I'm hoping to learn a lot through listening and studying surround mixes and I hope that I can share some things of my own on hear and get some constructive feedback along the way :)

Hi,
I was recommended here by Kal at the Stereophile forum.

I'm a semi-pro musician, audio engineer and producer and after 30 years have only just got into surround.

I've always been interested in surround audio but always thought it should be done properly with full size speakers rather than those small things you see in supermarkets.
Finally, over the last couple of months I've put together three pairs of vintage B&O S35's and a Denon receiver in a 5.1 config and it sounds amazing!!

I guess I was tempted to do this through collecting the deluxe editions of Marillion albums that have been released over recent years - I've got the five that have been released so far (including the two with the SW mixes) and have realised that I've also got few Mike Oldfield, Steve Hackett and Peter Gabriel albums (I'd love to get the Genesis albums in surround) - I'd like to know where the best place is to (legally) download mainstream releases from artists like Genesis? ...or am I best off ripping DVD/BR/SACD's ?

Production wise - I was a professional musician during the 90's and learned to record and mix to a commercial standard in that time (Most of the time in a studio that was originally set up to mix Elton John albums into Quad).
Since then I've mainly just done stuff for myself but I'm planning to release an album of Prog'ish music over the next year or so with a bunch of very talented musicians - I'll definitely be diving into mixing in 5.1 and plan to start by up-mixing some of my own stereo mixes - initially by playing back through my B&O setup and then probably adding to my studio monitors (currently JBL).

Here's an example of one of my stereo mixes just to give you an idea - this is a Marillion cover...

Anyway - I'm hoping to learn a lot through listening and studying surround mixes and I hope that I can share some things of my own on hear and get some constructive feedback along the way :)

Welcome to the forum :hi ...someone with your background will fit right in our friendly bunch...I'm sure we can learn a lot from someone like you and there are a lot of skilled members who can answer and help you...

Welcome aboard Dazz - Awesome stuff Dazzz pretty Koooooooooooooooooooooooooo :LB
Yeah ya came to the right place with ton of mega koo friendly people here to help ya and guide ya along your awesome Koo Surround Trip :rocks
Awesome cover there toooooooooooooo :rocks
Me always warn new people to watch out for for that wacky dude Snood :SB🤪:SB and will do so now - me wacky.....ummm mean,,, he wacky :LB

Hey guys! I happened over here as I started thinking about getting into surround audio with my dad recently. One of my favorite gifts he gave me in years past was his pristine copy of Brothers in Arms on LP and I decided to return the favor for his upcoming birthday by buying him the album on SACD. Of course, that led me to learn that it has a 5.1 mix on the disc, and further that several SACDs of our favorite albums have multichannel mixes! I've got a lot to learn yet and I'm excited to hear what's in store.

Oooooh Oooooooh Oooooh this sounds like me a few years back in late 2013 when Snood first got into this hobby by mistake. 🤗

Here we go again hehe - Not knowing anything about Surround and having purchased a Piece of :poop: LG surround sound system back in 2004/2005 - well in about 2013 Snood bought the Better Than Ezra - How Does Your Garden Grow 5.1 DVD-Audio - thinking it was just a dvd that played surround. Snood get disc and sees big sticker says plays in DVD-AUDIO players only and Snood go :unsure: - Snood go to LG PO:poop: DVD/Bluray player and see the DVD-AUDIO logo on it and Snood go :cool: - Snood stick in disc and start hearing different sounds from all the PO:poop: LG speakers and Snood go :eek: then 🤗 then 😋 then :rocks:LB:rocks - right after that found this weird place called QQ forums and found out that some fave bands like Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Pink Floyd, Queen, The Doors & Crowded House to name a few had released 5.1 DVD-A discs or sumtin called a SACD - so went on a mission to find them "used" of course on Ebay - and with each one Snood went :eek: then 🤗 then 😋 then :rocks:LB:rocks

People from QQ forums did not mind Snood very Snoopid questions and Snood learned much..... so me stayed and and me have annoyed these friendly folks for the last 7ish years. :SB

Along the way Snood has bought some Bleh 5.1 Mixes and a lot of very good to amazing ones toooooo and spent a lot of Snood Bux :rolleyes: but also made a lot of friends. So Snood very Happy with decision to let these koo friendly QQ peeps learn the ways of Snood. 😋:LB

Welcome aboard person of many letters and hope you found Snood story very inspiring - that what me do....Snood be Inspiration :SB

Cheers to 2021!
I'm new from Japan and it's a pleasure to join and get Nice SMv2.
Thank you so much for everything.
My favorite QSdisc is Tomasi:Chants populaires de l`ile de corse on 1974 DECCA.
(It is not mine nor QS)
regards,

So good for you to join from so far away! Many other Global members here to welcome you. Please tell more about your music and quad equipment.

Hello, just came into a small collection of SACDs and was wanting to learn more about them and find a decent player. I was wondering if an older player with the 5.1 analog outputs would be better or a newer blu-ray player that can pass the 5.1 mixes over HDMI. I'm sure there have been posts on this topic before but thanks in advance for the help!

Hello, just came into a small collection of SACDs and was wanting to learn more about them and find a decent player. I was wondering if an older player with the 5.1 analog outputs would be better or a newer blu-ray player that can pass the 5.1 mixes over HDMI. I'm sure there have been posts on this topic before but thanks in advance for the help!

Welcome Lester! Either would work but I’d probably recommend the newer Blu Ray option. There aren’t many AV Receivers that accept 5.1+ analogue inputs sold nowadays, and there’s loads of really great music released on Blu Ray that you could then check out. Some Blu Ray players enable you to rip SACDs and play them as lossless digital files as well.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/sony-blu-ray-players-used-for-sacd-ripping.26078/
The polls here are a great reference for great sounding surround albums. 😎

Welcome Lester! Either would work but I’d probably recommend the newer Blu Ray option. There aren’t many AV Receivers that accept 5.1+ analogue inputs sold nowadays, and there’s loads of really great music released on Blu Ray that you could then check out. Some Blu Ray players enable you to rip SACDs and play them as lossless digital files as well.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/sony-blu-ray-players-used-for-sacd-ripping.26078/
The polls here are a great reference for great sounding surround albums. 😎

Thanks for your help. I've heard that there can be some compatibility issues when using HMDI from a blu-ray player into a modern receiver that uses ARC. Have you experienced any issues?

Thanks for your help. I've heard that there can be some compatibility issues when using HMDI from a blu-ray player into a modern receiver that uses ARC. Have you experienced any issues?
Not really an issue from what I’ve encountered. There’s an occasional ‘handshake’ delay on certain devices I have but that’s just the HDMI security kicking in. But never been an issue playing SACDs as far as I can remember... 🤔 I mostly play my music as ripped digital files nowadays though so I might not be best placed to tell.

Another option could be to go for a 4K UHD player like the Sony UBP-X700. This is relatively cheap, plays SACDs and also 4K movies. So kinda multi tasking...

Good luck and hope you get to enjoy them soon... 🙂

Hello, just came into a small collection of SACDs and was wanting to learn more about them and find a decent player.

You've come to the right place. Can you say which albums you've got? I'm asking because--astonishingly--there are several out-of-print surround SACD titles that routinely go for three-figure sums on the used market today.

You've come to the right place. Can you say which albums you've got? I'm asking because--astonishingly--there are several out-of-print surround SACD titles that routinely go for three-figure sums on the used market today.

I don't think any of the ones I got are super rare but they are:
Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
The Band - Stage Fright

Is there a sort of FAQ thread for newbies like me? I just have a few questions like:
When I play Spotify Connect through my AV receiver it seems to do some kind of processing into a kind of surround mix. I think it actually does a pretty good job. Would SACDs, Blu-Ray Audio, etc. be radically different other than being non-compressed?

Thanks!

When I play Spotify Connect through my AV receiver it seems to do some kind of processing into a kind of surround mix. I think it actually does a pretty good job. Would SACDs, Blu-Ray Audio, etc. be radically different other than being non-compressed?

I would say so. The multichannel audio on SACD or Blu-Ray Audio discs is--in most cases--an entirely new mix created from a multitrack source, giving the remix engineer freedom to position the various instruments and vocals wherever they chose.

Once you're set-up with an SACD player, try the 5.1 mix on the Elton John disc and you'll see--there are loud, isolated sounds hard-panned into the rear speakers in a way you'd never get from playing the stereo mix through a processor like Dolby PLII or DTS Neural.

Back