So How Many Oppos Do You Own?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the longest time, I have this philosophy that I can have good-sounding system that cost less than US$1K.

Pioneer Elite DV-79AVi ~ $150 brand-new
NHT SuperOne ~ $250/pair directly from NHT
TEAC Distinction Series A-1D stereo integrated amp ~ $180 brand-new from J&R (remember them?)

I also have a Technics SL-BD20B belt-drive turntable (made in Japan) that I purchased brand-new from Sears for $100.

I was working in rural California (as in no cell phone service rural) when Oppo announced its retreat from the universal disc player market. I only knew about the retreat when I got back to my hotel in Red Bluff, CA and I quickly placed an order for an Oppo 205. Then, after some more soul searching, I was lucky enough to obtain another 205 from Oppo.

So....I have two.

Rip the CD and play that as the none HDCD version. While there are HDCD decoding rippers, you can turn that feature off. You do need to ensure the DAC you use to play it doesn't do the HDCD decoding.
Probably easier for me to copy the CD play it in a non-HDCD player (my Tascam CD copier) while simultaneously playing the the original in the Oppo, plugged into adjacent Aux-In positions on my preamp (see avatar) so I could A-B instantly. But that's a lot of trouble! Sounds good enough to me.

Are there any AVRs that decode HDCD? Old or new. I need one. My Pioneer quit. I only need 5.1 (actually I run in 4.0 mode) and use my TV for HDMI switching.

I have the 105D, thankfully! When the 205 came out, I wasn't ready to upgrade to 4k...so I waited :eek: ...and lost out on getting one at retail (though have recently seen used for reasonable prices). Trying to use this as a lesson going forward as far as "hard media" goes, as it seems sadly to be on the way out...(buying up 4k movies and 5.1 music as fast as I can afford)

I have a 83 in storage along with a Denon 2900 which was a big deal universal player back in the day. A 105 upstairs for the occasional stereo playback and a 203 downstairs for surround music and 4K movies.

I have an 83 for music and movies and a 103 in the bedroom. I bought them both used. The 83 came from a fellow QQer and the 103 was a local Kijiji (like Craigslist) find from someone with upgraditis. I am glad I got the 103 but I can not use it in my living room as they removed the analogue video and my TV is a big ass Sony Trinitron that ain't going nowhere! I have a used LCD screen in my bedroom and watch it when I need to be in bed with entertainment. I love downloading TV series and playing with the USB stick and streaming through an HDMI capable PC. Now to find a 93 for the living room eventually.

I have an 83 for music and movies and a 103 in the bedroom. I bought them both used. The 83 came from a fellow QQer and the 103 was a local Kijiji (like Craigslist) find from someone with upgraditis. I am glad I got the 103 but I can not use it in my living room as they removed the analogue video and my TV is a big ass Sony Trinitron that ain't going nowhere! I have a used LCD screen in my bedroom and watch it when I need to be in bed with entertainment. I love downloading TV series and playing with the USB stick and streaming through an HDMI capable PC. Now to find a 93 for the living room eventually.
Sad how interfaces keep changing, especially with video, makes it hard to run modern and vintage equipment together.

I have a DV-970HD that I've never really thought all that much of, just a run of the mill universal player. I recently got a BDP-103 and all I can say is WOW. To know that Oppo made even better players wets my appetite for more.

For the longest time, I have this philosophy that I can have good-sounding system that cost less than US$1K.

Pioneer Elite DV-79AVi ~ $150 brand-new
NHT SuperOne ~ $250/pair directly from NHT
TEAC Distinction Series A-1D stereo integrated amp ~ $180 brand-new from J&R (remember them?)

I also have a Technics SL-BD20B belt-drive turntable (made in Japan) that I purchased brand-new from Sears for $100.

I was working in rural California (as in no cell phone service rural) when Oppo announced its retreat from the universal disc player market. I only knew about the retreat when I got back to my hotel in Red Bluff, CA and I quickly placed an order for an Oppo 205. Then, after some more soul searching, I was lucky enough to obtain another 205 from Oppo.

So....I have two.
That's Awesome...I am also in rural northern CA (though maybe less rural, but my outside connections are (sometimes) electrical power and telephone land line, with a propane tank and satellite internet and TV). I missed out on the Oppo 205, I have the 105, so can feel good that I have that for audio, and just ordered a "Black Friday" Panny for 4k video...so, not happy to have missed out on the 205, but feeling OK

I own the Panasonic DP-UB9000P-K for all my Blu Ray plays, music and movies, I really like it and have had zero problems.

I also own the Sony UBP-X800M2 for my universal disc player, CD's, SACD, DVD-A, etc. It also plays Blu Ray but not rated as high as the Panasonic. I really don't use it that much as all my discs are ripped, unless I want to see video content of a DVD-A for instance.

Both players are HDMI out into AVR, no issues. I have the new Audioquest 8K HDMI's for the 2 players and the E-ARC of the TV to AVR. The DAC's within the units are perfectly fine.

I purchased both for around $1400.00 and they sit on top of each other, they are thin so looks like one unit if your not paying attention.

I have the OPPO 105 that I use for ripping SACD only.

What I would like that I don't have is an MQA DAC that would go between the Sony and the AVR. This would be for stereo only as I don't think any MQA discs are MCH?
My vision is to have a MQA disc, put in Sony, play through MQA DAC into existing AVR or Pre Pro whatever you want to call it and listen in stereo. The Sony to MQA DAC is easy, it is FROM the MQA DAC to the two speakers, I can't seem to figure out, without unplugging and plugging in RCA's or XLR's to bypass what is already in the chain.
Any experience from others would be great, my brain has just hit a wall, and of course I cannot afford to try this and that.

That's a really nice price. You paid that recently? Where? I'd get one as a backup for my 103d at that price.

Ebay, a month or two after the last batch of Oppo's were sold out so it was a while back. Also it didn't have a remote but otherwise perfect condition. I use a Harmony hub remote so that wasn't an issue.

My real nice score was a analog multichannel preamp made by NuForce for a little over $150 shipped.

Ebay, a month or two after the last batch of Oppo's were sold out so it was a while back. Also it didn't have a remote but otherwise perfect condition. I use a Harmony hub remote so that wasn't an issue.

My real nice score was a analog multichannel preamp made by NuForce for a little over $150 shipped.

As my math teacher used to say after the QED of a proof:

Clean living strikes again! 😏:bowing:

Two OPPOs. One BDP-105 and a UDP-205.

In 2017 I heard they were coming out with the 205 when only the 203 was available, I waited.

So, when they eventually did make the 205 available, I called Crutchfield with a tech question regarding using it in an old school 4.0 analog setup, the guy didn’t have an answer, but gave me the phone number for OPPO Cust Support.

OPPO were friendly and answered all my questions and also told me I could order it directly right then and there.
But, stupid (and tired) me said I’d call back the next day, I’d been awake 22 hours/day for a week (due to being severely overworked!)

Well, even stupid-er me, I procrastinated, ~ two weeks, ~ then four, ~ then lost count.
My coworker eventually gave me the bad news, OPPO’s stopping production!, I called them the next day and they confirmed, but suggested I go on their website and put my name on a waiting list.

I did, and checked back at that site regularly, for like 7 months, I pretty much gave up hope, but the waiting list signup page remained into September.
Then that fall, I got a phone call (unknown number) I almost didn’t pick up!, but alas I did answer, and guess who????! OPPO!!!, voice of caller .... “do you want a 205?”
Me, Oh hail yeah, I paid with my CC over the phone.
He then said it was the absolute very last unit they were selling new direct, and congratulated me on my good luck!
I was looking at the web page during our conversation and while speaking to him, the sign up to wait page went down and a new page came up and said something to the effect “sorry, no longer available”.
I ordered mine with the optional rack mounting kit which was included in the same box.

While waiting for a 205, I bought a used mint 105 off the bay. So yeah, two OPPOs, no regrets.

Okay...I've contained my annoyance on this topic for some time, and now (although it's a departure from this one-I'm hoping there's some "Oppo relevance" forbearance) I'd like to recruit opinions. As far as I can tell I can use the D/A converters in my Oppos to stream audio from the Internet. What in the name of Hell's Donkeys do I need a "streamer" for, anyway? I'm planning to drop my subscription to "Stereopile" and am being slowly drug to doing likewise for TAS, because of their obstinate irrelevance evidenced by focusing on anything (Music or Gear) that I value or in which I have any serious interest. I have an outboard D/A-A/D on my main computer (Lynx Hilo) and it works really well, as long as the other end of the stream is acceptable. What am I missing? I think this aspect of the Oppos shouldn't be overlooked, but I may be getting something wrong, if so, clue me in...

Last edited:
Back