Steve Hackett Selling England by the Pound and Spectral Mornings live at the Hammersmith 5.1 mixed by Steven Wilson

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This sounds aMAZing on my system. No sub adjustment. And I had it CRANKED.
Loooooove it.
Agreed 100% it was great right out of the chute. perhaps those without dedicated subs experienced a summing of overwhelming bass in their mains? SW cannot anticipate or mix for that situation; he mixed for a 5.1 setup. This could also account for the comments that the other instruments were mixed lower than the bass when it seems balanced to us. It's all subjective because our systems, settings and taste differ. Just glad to know someone else found it was 'Jake 'from the get go.

It is a common theme, even with the albums. The last album At the Edge Of Light has some horrible, bloated, boomy bass. It is unlistenable. I have had to adjust it in audacity, and will be burning my own disc.
Agreed - missed the mark on that mix. I'd probably have to do the same to make it better.

I'm not sure what you're expecting him to do; he's not improvising too much to preserve the arrangements; he has solid money shot solos that are golden halo perfect that we all love, he's not going to blow those bits we're all anticipating. Having said that, he did use whammy bar and his hands at least 50 times to warp the guitar sound and that's not playing it too safe.

I think his critique had more to do with how Hackett's guitar was mixed, not the actual performance. I'm not a long-time Genesis fan by any means, so I don't know the original songs/arrangements by heart--but there are points in this recording where I felt like the guitar should be right in your face (such as the solo in "Firth Of Fifth") and it just kinda lays there. I spun a burned DTS-CD of the Selling England portion in my Acura earlier today and I still feel that the bass is overdone and the guitar should be louder. Once I turned down the sub and bass levels 2-3 notches, it sounded great.

I don't have my copy yet but as Steve Hackett having ok'd the mix but wait a minute he also ok'd the Roger King 5.1 mix's so who know's. Any ways I am still super excited to get my copy as this was my first SH concert to see live in person last year. It was also special as the concert I attended was 2 days(Oct.11 Vancouver show) before my 60th birthday and I went and saw with 2 good friends so super special on that front as well. This band that SH put together and the material covered was just amazing, what a treat to hear live.

To me some of the Genesis 5.1 stuff done by Nick Davis and supervised by Tony Banks did not do any favor's to Steve Hackett guitar part's while he was in Genesis and the mastering of those 5.1 albums were out of whack(too much compression) on the 76-98 boxset's, at least 70-75 boxset was better as that is my favorite Genesis era.

Love reading all the stuff in this thread and getting more nitty,gritty critical stuff from some real musicians and engineer's which I am definitely not. Carry on with discussion after this rambling interlude, :)

peter

Agreed 100% it was great right out of the chute. perhaps those without dedicated subs experienced a summing of overwhelming bass in their mains? SW cannot anticipate or mix for that situation; he mixed for a 5.1 setup. This could also account for the comments that the other instruments were mixed lower than the bass when it seems balanced to us. It's all subjective because our systems, settings and taste differ. Just glad to know someone else found it was 'Jake 'from the get go.
Nothing uncalibrated here. I'm familiar with quite a few of Steve Wilson's mixes. That's literally what led me to comment critically on this one because I think it's a slight outlier. Nothing is out of place wrong. It's honestly only holding to SW level mix quality that I can make any critical comments.

I think his critique had more to do with how Hackett's guitar was mixed, not the actual performance. I'm not a long-time Genesis fan by any means, so I don't know the original songs/arrangements by heart--but there are points in this recording where I felt like the guitar should be right in your face (such as the solo in "Firth Of Fifth") and it just kinda lays there. I spun a burned DTS-CD of the Selling England portion in my Acura earlier today and I still feel that the bass is overdone and the guitar should be louder. Once I turned down the sub and bass levels 2-3 notches, it sounded great.

Yes, the mix levels on the guitar. Nothing was "wrong". I just thought the out of control live in your face element should have been included more. Not to the point of being crude or anything. Listen to the 1973 Live album, for example.

I wouldn't call the bass too loud either. I noticed a resonant peak in there that seemed sloppy for the likes of Steve Wilson. That's where my speculation of another hand in mastering comes from. That and the overall compression on the whole thing too is out of character. Again, critiquing details that we usually aren't even treated to!

And then I just liked that Seconds Out tour arrangement Rutherford had behind the guitar solo with the bass pedals and 12-string parts. I think they played it more true to the studio arrangement here actually.

Last edited:
There are points in this recording where I felt like the guitar should be right in your face (such as the solo in "Firth Of Fifth") and it just kinda lays there.
Pretty sure I agree where those parts are and that is when I want the WHOLE BAND louder and the guitar is still quite present. Dancing With The Moonlit Knight and Firth of Fifth are Steve’s true money shot searing signature solos so a notch or two louder always. Keeping in mind that many Genesis peaks also belong to Tony Banks’ keyboards (either solo or within ensemble passages), where else should Steve’s guitar have been pushed forward?

I just thought the out of control live in your face element should have been included more. Not to the point of being crude or anything. Listen to the 1973 Live album, for example.

Having been a member of a high caliber group like Genesis for all of two years by 1973, Genesis Live might be an attractive wilder phase to re-create, it’s not representative of the role Steve Hackett would settle into for the balanced of his tenure thru 1977. Genesis Live is about Nursery Cryme & Foxtrot, whereas Steve waxes more enthusiastically about Selling England achieving a whole new level of accomplishment. His technique, writing skills and equipment became more refined and it showed from that point forward. The velocity of artist growth for everyone in the group through this period is just off the charts.

While Steve is certainly welcome to blaze above the others in the band on his solo material (though he rarely ever does), fans like me and perhaps others would take exception to his being much louder than the complementing, intertwined keyboard parts that further define the majesty of the whole Genesis presentation.

I noticed a resonant peak in there that seemed sloppy for the likes of Steve Wilson. That's where my speculation of another hand in mastering comes from. That and the overall compression...
Live recordings have warts, some you can’t fix. Didn’t notice it. I don’t think there’s any more compression going on here than what was coming off the stage that night. It’s a fairly controlled presentation but not overly so.

Listened to some of this quite a bit louder. It does sound better louder. :)
I don't notice the higher end bass anomaly I mentioned when louder. The bass end overall and sub content and balances between kick/bass/pedals is super on point. Maybe if the little point mentioned was worked just a little that would cure it for those who complained?

The guitar leads are buried in too many places. On repeated listening this is a sore point. I mean... many concert videos even in the 21st century have fully bootleg sound and with balance issues so far beyond anything in the worst moments here! Just that this mix could have been pretty damn near perfect if the guitar was just a little more lit in the lead parts.

If this had been released 10 years ago before the bar had been raised by the last decade of work from Wilson and others, I'd probably be calling this one of the best mixes I'd ever heard live or studio.

This is also so much better than the atrocities that are the actual Genesis 5.1 remixes it's not even funny!

This is down to 17.49 on Amazon USA right now Amazon.com

Snood got it down to 14.49 with 3 dollars on gift card :SB

YOUNG SNOODSVILLE RESIDENT, :LB wins the prize* for BEST PRICE on Hackett's Hammersmith BD~A/2 RBCD set

See the source image

*an audience with the Queen ....or quite possibly, KNIGHTHOOD!📜

Last edited:
This is down to 17.49 on Amazon USA right now Amazon.com

Snood got it down to 14.49 with 3 dollars on gift card :SB

Definitely the Winner.
Check out my order from Canada and it's not even a new copy but hopefully will be getting soon as says Dec.8(my preorder date kept getting bumped up so cancelled)

Selling England By The Pound & Spectral Mornings: Live At Hammersmith
HACKETT,STEVE
Sold by: Amazon.com.ca, Inc.

CDN$ 22.92
Condition: Used - Acceptable - Missing shrink-wrap, activation codes for bonus online content may be missing or expired. Cosmetic imperfection(s) 1" or bigger on front of item. Large cosmetic damage on item case. Large cosmetic damage on cover art. Item is in original packaging, but packaging has damage.

Is this the set with both BR & 5.1?

This is the first reviewon the Amazon listing:

Reviewed in the United States on November 5, 2020
Verified Purchase
I finally received this from Amazon and can confirm that it is the CD + BD package - which is not apparent in the product description (a CD + DVD version was also released).

I was at the Boston show on this tour, and it was brilliant. As I've only just got this I've not had time to listen/watch - but based on Steve's prior releases of concert tours (which I have), I've no doubt it will be a fantastic reminder of a wonderful evening. I'm looking forward to revisiting the show many times, and enjoying Steve and his incredible band play - including for the first time the great Craig Blundell on drums.
One person found this helpful

Back