Black Sabbath - Vol. 4 Super Deluxe Edition (with some Steven Wilson mixes) Feb 12th, 2021

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steven just posted the following on Facebook:

Honoured to be working on the catalogue of the mighty
Black Sabbath
with the announcement today of an expanded reissue of the band’s classic album Vol 4. That’s right folks, it’s a deluxe edition box set!

VOL 4: SUPER DELUXE EDITION will be available on 12th February as a 4-CD set and a 5-LP set pressed on 180-gram vinyl. It includes a newly remastered version of the original album along with 2 discs of unreleased studio material and a full live concert from the band’s 1973 UK tour. The tapes for the actual album could not be located for remixing, but several session reels were found. One disc in both sets includes all the raw session takes complete with studio chatter, while another disc uses these same session sources to create composite edits using the best takes with more of the sound treatments of the main album applied, so in that sense this disc is closer to representing an alternate version of the main album (albeit no tapes at all were available for 3 songs).

And don’t you just love that Wheels of Confusion had the working title of “Bollocks”?!

1606933813417.png

Steven just posted the following on Facebook:

Honoured to be working on the catalogue of the mighty
Black Sabbath
with the announcement today of an expanded reissue of the band’s classic album Vol 4. That’s right folks, it’s a deluxe edition box set!

VOL 4: SUPER DELUXE EDITION will be available on 12th February as a 4-CD set and a 5-LP set pressed on 180-gram vinyl. It includes a newly remastered version of the original album along with 2 discs of unreleased studio material and a full live concert from the band’s 1973 UK tour. The tapes for the actual album could not be located for remixing, but several session reels were found. One disc in both sets includes all the raw session takes complete with studio chatter, while another disc uses these same session sources to create composite edits using the best takes with more of the sound treatments of the main album applied, so in that sense this disc is closer to representing an alternate version of the main album (albeit no tapes at all were available for 3 songs).

And don’t you just love that Wheels of Confusion had the working title of “Bollocks”?!
Still no MULTI_CHANNEL or ATMOS mix:mad::eek::unsure::cry:

The tapes for the actual album could not be located for remixing

I wonder if any of the original master tapes are available for any of their albums so that MULTI-CHANNEL or ATMOS mixes could be done? Anyone know?

Last edited:
Wasn't impressed with the remastered stereo in the Paranoid box - it was heavily compressed. I don't expect much from the remaster here.

As for the rest, it might be interesting - at around half the price! Right now it's at £25 a CD. At that rate, there's no way I'm in.

I thought that Paranoid remaster was an insulting volume war special as well. It turns out Black Sabbath is very challenging to collect for best fidelity copies! There's a multi album set on HDTracks in 24/96 that might be the very worst bludgeoned volume war hash I've heard. Steer clear of that too. There are a collection of two disc CD releases with the 2nd CD of bonus material. Volume war nastiness!

Am I surprised the multitracks are missing? Hardly. Still sucks to hear about it in this context (SW on board and all). FUCK! You know?

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath would be a treat all right. Steve Wilson is already familiar with mixing Rick Wakeman. :)

I'll take everything from s/t to Sabotage please and thank you!

You'd think the master tapes for classic 1970s albums would be safe. Nope. Unless the artist or their management was keen on preserving them, these either get lost, destroyed or commonly RE-USED (bulk erased then recorded over with next project) as the tape was merely leased to do an album at a particular studio and the act leaves with a 2 track master of the finished product.

I am just speaking for myself, but I read a lot of threads and various releases come out, or are in pre order mode as in this Black Sabbath, I notice sometimes the music gets slammed for not having whatever, low DR values, poor mastering, brickwalled, etc, which I respect the poster saying what they want, but it would be nice to hear, what is good.
Does the poster have any experience with a good release, CD, LP, what year, etc?
It would be nice for someone like me who has not listened to every version of everything.
Heck, I have listened to quite a few MP3's from my phone and still had a blast.

I am just speaking for myself, but I read a lot of threads and various releases come out, or are in pre order mode as in this Black Sabbath, I notice sometimes the music gets slammed for not having whatever, low DR values, poor mastering, brickwalled, etc, which I respect the poster saying what they want, but it would be nice to hear, what is good.
Does the poster have any experience with a good release, CD, LP, what year, etc?
It would be nice for someone like me who has not listened to every version of everything.
Heck, I have listened to quite a few MP3's from my phone and still had a blast.

No worries! You know how much of a Sabbath fan I am. I'm debating buying the vinyl version.....er...is there going to be a vinyl version? I just don't know if I can pass this up.

No worries! You know how much of a Sabbath fan I am. I'm debating buying the vinyl version.....er...is there going to be a vinyl version? I just don't know if I can pass this up.
I'm with you man, I am totally in, site unseen, can't wait, the book, music, all of it. I have the Black Sabbath releases from HDTracks and I like them.

Reactions: GOS
I'm with you man, I am totally in, site unseen, can't wait, the book, music, all of it. I have the Black Sabbath releases from HDTracks and I like them.
Yes there is a vinyl edition
Yes there is a vinyl edition.....look below
1606956566734.png

Best price so far is at Amazon.de 119,99 €

Reactions: GOS
Yes there is a vinyl edition

Yes there is a vinyl edition.....look below
View attachment 59887
Best price so far is at Amazon.de 119,99 €

Cool, OK. The only reason I would buy the vinyl, is my intense paranoia that the CD's will be brickwalled. More times than not, there is a greater chance of non-brickwalling from vinyl. These days anyway.

Back