Al Stewart's "Year of the Cat" (Remixed in 5.1 surround by Alan Parsons!!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What blows my mind is that it's been announced about Drastic Plastic and Olias of Sunhillow coming out in the near future from Cherry Red/Esoteric. I do not recall reading any hints about Year of the Cat prior to today.
But there has yet to be any more additional information about DP & Olias. Funny, how they keep certain stuff under wraps and then all of sudden, "wham-o" something out of left field appears with pre-order. Not a complaint, but just an observation. Are they being selective what they leak out? How does this all work?

Do we know for sure that the bonus tracks are in surround, as well? "FEATURING AN ADDITIONAL 25 BONUS TRACKS: DRAWN FROM A NEW 5.1 SURROUND SOUND ALBUM MIX FROM THE ORIGINAL MULTI-TRACK MASTER TAPES BY ALAN PARSONS, A PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED CONCERT RECORDED IN SEATTLE IN 1976 AND AN OUT-TAKE FROM THE ALBUM SESSIONS"

Doesn't seem clear to me.

Likely just the album , just a terminology type of thing .

The surround mix for the song, Year of the Cat, has been a choice demo when someone asks me what is surround music. I think Parsons' initial mix is sublime. I have used it as a demo and I only have a copy in "lossy" DTS-CD, a bit better resolution and we might get to the "holy crap Batman" level.
That song was a demo Parsons had made to convince the record company to remix and release a surround version of the album. The original quality was 16/44.1. Anything you may have that is higher in resolution was re-sampled. It did sound pretty good though. Time Passages was also done the same way.

I pre-ordered the Be Bop Deluxe earlier and the site made a slow snail seem fast, but just ordered this and it was really fast. Boy what a day for albums I love in surround :SB. This is an album that was released in the summer before I started my first year at Uni in the autumn and it brings back memories of fun times.

I assume this will show up on US sites...right? I can't seem to keep straight when Cherry Red offers if it also offers from US vendors.

I assume this will show up on US sites...right? I can't seem to keep straight when Cherry Red offers if it also offers from US vendors.
Rather iffy; unless somebody else has better information about stateside partners, all I've seen is eBay listings with some markup applied. I've been buying them direct from Cherry Red.

That song was a demo Parsons had made to convince the record company to remix and release a surround version of the album. The original quality was 16/44.1. Anything you may have that is higher in resolution was re-sampled. It did sound pretty good though. Time Passages was also done the same way.
Those two Parsons surround mixes of Al Stewart material were created for a Miramar label sampler. Miramar video emerged but the audio division never got off the ground. When I met Alan in 2007 his plan was to use these tracks for a surround demo surprise at a small tour of recording studios. Except in Nashville the local studio people couldn't manage to find him a working disc player to support a DTS playback that day.

What blows my mind is that it's been announced about Drastic Plastic and Olias of Sunhillow coming out in the near future from Cherry Red/Esoteric. I do not recall reading any hints about Year of the Cat prior to today.
But there has yet to be any more additional information about DP & Olias. Funny, how they keep certain stuff under wraps and then all of sudden, "wham-o" something out of left field appears with pre-order. Not a complaint, but just an observation. Are they being selective what they leak out? How does this all work?
Don't overthink it. ;) The marketing arm doesn't always have a linear schedule for timing their promotional efforts. (aka $hit happens)

Great news...
soooo....is this going to diplace the release of "The turn of a friendly card" in MCH???
We SHALL SEE!!!!
Doubt it, different timetable. Pretty sure the whole YOTC mix has been done for a long time, maybe some dusting off recently. By comparison, Friendly Card would be a recent effort from the ground up.

Pre-ordered!
IMHO, this is the surround release announcement of the year. I say this on the basis that it's not asking me to buy something I already 5-6 versions of and it's not something off the radar in terms of notoriety and popularity plus being so important to me personally. Echoing previous comments - what a joy that most (sadly not all) QQ members can finally have something they have been wishing for forever.

Footnote: Esoteric could possibly issue a stand-alone Blu Ray disc (ala Chris Squire - Fish Out Of Water); and if they do it will be my esteemed privilege to purchase that too! :SB

Pre-ordered!
IMHO, this is the surround release announcement of the year. I say this on the basis that it's not asking me to buy something I already 5-6 versions of and it's not something off the radar in terms of notoriety and popularity plus being so important to me personally. Echoing previous comments - what a joy that most (sadly not all) QQ members can finally have something they have been wishing for forever.

Footnote: Esoteric could possibly issue a stand-alone Blu Ray disc (ala Chris Squire - Fish Out Of Water); and if they do it will be my esteemed privilege to purchase that too! :SB
Tim, I loved the Parsons story. I hadn't heard the part about the lack of DTS gear. We will forever wonder, if the execs had heard it, would it have changed anything?

But in the cases where a standalone blueray was released following the release of a deluxe box, the box also contained a blueray. If the disk info on post#1 is correct, this is a DVD release. The audio resolutions will be similar to what the Tull releases offer at best. Would they then release a standalone Bluray? An upgrade from what was included in the deluxe box? A standalone DVD? I think this is gonna be THE release.

This is a for sure buy for me. I know every lyric from every song on the album. The two demo tracks that were leaked sound great, with excellent fidelity, low res or not. The surround mix is a bit tame by some standards, but it is very effective with the orchestration anchored in the rears. And they were two well orchestrated tracks to begin with.

I cant help but imagine how great tracks like Flying Sorcery, If It Dosen't Come Naturally... and One Stage Before might sound. I might have to breakdown and preorder this. The FOMO is strong on this one. I'm with GOS. I wanna see if there are US suppliers.

And just think... Time Passages is probably sitting in the can.

So hard to tell, my guess it will appear next week for preorder at Importcds. I’ve noticed that with the deluxe versions of Be bop deluxe. I’ve ordered from Cherry Red many times. Only the Fish Out of Water box set came early. The rest it’s taken a week or two after the release date. If I am not too anxious, I will patiently wait until Importcds or Amazon lists it for preorder. With YOTC being announced, all my self discipline went out the window. I had to preorder from Cherry Red. Major fear of FOMO with this one for me.

Since I have two amazing 'surround dubs' of Year of the Cat and Time Passages and really don't care to wade through RBCDs of bonus tracks, I will wait for the LOSSLESS BD~A which I'm certain will be issued once the limited edition boxset sells out. Still have NOT played all those bonus CDs which accompanied Chris Squires FISH OUT OF WATER but am enjoying the LOSSLESS BD~A!

Last edited:
Back