Dumbest anti-surround argument you've heard

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumbest anti-surround argument you've ever heard

• Total voters
I thought the Henry Ford model for the public education system was intentional and matter of fact from the beginning. Train people for long hours on an assembly line. Condition for long hours of boredom. Train to take orders. Discourage creativity and free thought. This is all documented in plain language.

We had a decade or so of some areas of the country changing gears during the space race to educate people to think. That got turned back around shortly after.

What were we talking about again?

:unsure: I only [have eyes for you]. has nothing after the . so does I only [have eyes for you]. => I only [have eyes for you].0 = I only 🤪
To satiate an irresistible urge, if only to continue abusing an already dead horse ,,,

Excellent example of a misplaced modifier, see text below which I copied and pasted directly from the internet (grammar errors)

“The adverb only should be placed as close as possible to the word it modifies in a sentence. Consider the following two sentences:

Example 1: The band only sang five songs at the concert.
Example 2: The band sang only five songs at the concert.
Example 1 indicates that the band sang, rather than played, five songs. The sentence in Example 2 indicates that the band sang five songs, rather than eight or ten or any other number. There is a distinct difference in meaning. However, it is common for only to be misplaced in a sentence, making the meaning of the sentence ambiguous.

A similar error was made with the popular old song called “I Only Have Eyes for You.” The writers of this song would have made the message clearer by writing “I Have Eyes for Only You.” But then again, the song just wouldn’t sound the same had the lyrics been written to be grammatically correct. Regardless, when using only in your own speaking and writing, remember to place it as close as possible to the word you are modifying so the meaning of the sentence is clear to the audience.”

You guys must [not] be a blast at cocktail parties. Remember those?
I only attend cocktail parties with [out] you.

I do not imbibe, I did not inhale, and I did [not] have sexual relations with that woman.
My favorite president Clinton quote ,,,
“That all depends upon what you think the meaning of is, is.”

and...
Always remember the decimal point when ordering a 7.5 mm drill bit.

1607477177827.png

Love the free form grammar lessons here, but...

Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose
Nothin', don't mean nothin' hon' if it ain't free, no no
And, feelin' good was easy, Lord, when he sang the blues
You know, feelin' good was good enough for me ........................:dance
Don't make me cry dude...

I utilize that kind of shit all the time; works for me. :LB:dance:QQlove
*should the period go inside the brackets?

Reminds me of another annoyance with written English: If you're ending the sentence with a quote, you're supposed to always put the period inside the quotation marks. Sometimes that's appropriate: John said "I like quadraphonic." Other times it just seems wrong: I don't think this is "quadraphonic." The period isn't, to me, part of the quoted thought, yet it's considered wrong to write it as I don't think this is "quadraphonic".

I voted:
"I only have two ears" Votes: 118 71.1%
Not the way the original artist wanted it to be heard Votes: 26 15.7%

The ears argument, people think speakers-ears is a 1-1 mapping (esp w/ headphones) which is not necessarily true w/ real speakers & something about direction & space. You can deliver headphone surround, but it doesn't always work.

The not original argument, most releases are delivered as 20 with the artist's intent. If there isn't a 51, the artist intended it that way.

"I sit in front of the performance, not in the middle of it" Votes: 27 16.3%
This is more relevant for concerts & sorta makes sense

"You have to sit in the "sweet spot" to listen to it" Votes: 9 5.4%
This sorta makes sense, but more so "applies" to 3D setups. People think that more speakers = more problems, but it's actually the reverse since more speakers = more ability to compensate for misplaced speakers.

Back