Al Stewart's "Year of the Cat" (Remixed in 5.1 surround by Alan Parsons!!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys are killing me. I'm 58, I have a few years to go. Luckily, I have been rather aggressive with my 401k and things should work out. :)
I had been contributing the highest amount possible into my superannuation fund (I think that's Australia's version of 401k) for the last 20 years and it has finally paid off. :)

I was also guessing it would be lossless, but they could theoretically do their best, and not have to spend a penny more to deliver both compatibility and sound quality on the same media.

Since there are still Blu-ray players being made that play DVD-Audio discs, it's not entirely unreasonable to just throw some files into AUDIO_TS.

Yes... I suppose it was all just a fantasy of mine. It's just so miserable that someone bothers to make a great mix, and then it can only be heard in DTS. Isn't technology supposed to perpetually advance, not go backwards?
They do spend more to include MLP (the DVD-A codec). Its not free. There is a license fee from Meridian to do so. There is also a fee required to produce Blu-Ray. Apparently the fee is smaller for lossy DTS.

They do spend more to include MLP (the DVD-A codec). Its not free. There is a license fee from Meridian to do so.
Ahh... Of course! Just because a format is "dead", doesn't mean there are no more licensing fees.
There is also a fee required to produce Blu-Ray.
There's so much room on a Blu-ray, could a release just use LPCM to avoid any DTS-HD or TrueHD licensing fees? Maybe there are still some base licensing costs in a Blu-ray.

I had only been thinking about the cost of producing the media being much higher for a Blu-ray.

I don't have time either...which is they they are piling up. But, one day, I will have time......I think once I'm retired...I'll be glad I have all this music.
You are fooling yourself if you think that retirement will afford you the time to do everything you cannot do now. You will come up with all sorts of new and diabolical ideas...Not to mention that there are stalkers out there waiting to hijack your newly found free time.

You are fooling yourself if you think that retirement will afford you the time to do everything you cannot do now. You will come up with all sorts of new and diabolical ideas...Not to mention that there are stalkers out there waiting to hijack your newly found free time.
One of my (retired) friends said to me before I retired that I would not run out of things to do when retired - he was right.

I married a stalker as it turns out.

I plead the Fifth.

Sigh. It's just stupid to me that eliminating DVDA leaves no "lossless" middle ground betwenn lossy DVDV and "anything goes" BD. Many Blu-ray's are being turned out with lossy DD, and it burns my ass. If these discs REALLY always had superior video, that would be one thing; but that is not always the case. Sure, upconverted video somehow, sometimes, but not necessarily that good in my experience. The industry invented all these rules then abandoned or ran right over them in their quest to make cheap offerings. It's one thing to argue the merits of DTS over DD (and I will all day), but to be ONLY offered stereo or DD 5.1 is like a slap to the face on a Blu-Ray disc.

to be ONLY offered stereo or DD 5.1 is like a slap to the face on a Blu-Ray disc.
Frank Zappa & The Mothers - Roxy & Elsewhere Blu Ray comes to mind because that's all they offered us. The venerable DVD-A format is yesterday's news to labels despite our continued usage of them. Bean counters just count units of current product.

It’s still not available on Amazon but I did find this:

2B31946A-5A13-4730-9D27-D7793D25254B.png

You are fooling yourself if you think that retirement will afford you the time to do everything you cannot do now. They will come up with all sorts of new and diabolical tasks. There are wives out there waiting to hijack your newly found free time.

Oh yes...the "honey do" lists....but Gos is one of the lucky ones....Mrs. Gos is what we used to call "a keeper"...she understands the fragile relationship of man and music...

Back