A (just for fun) poll: What would you want the next Quadio box to be?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should the next Rhino Quadio box be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still waiting for that "Singer-Songwriter" box. So many possible combinations

I would buy a Quadio release by The Eagles or Jefferson Starship in a heartbeat. Been dreaming of Rhino reissuing the Quad version of Black Oak Arkansas' "Raunch + Roll Live" for forever now. Somebody at Rhino seems to have a special fondness for BOA so I always thought it could happen. Never having heard it can somebody tell me what the mix for this title is like?
Extremely weird.

Every one of the titles I voted for, I already own in multiple formats from back in the day.... Q8, CD-4 and/or Q4. Once again I keep rebuying fresh copies of the same thing 🙄. Still, my fondness for these works - and the often astounding surround mixes - make me do so willingly.
Another group I noticed were NOT on the list that I would gladly re-purchase is the Warner Quad releases by America. The meticulously lush production of albums such as Holiday, Hearts & Homecoming really lend themselves to captivating surround mixes.

Just read in a Facebook group that a guy who claims he knows someone at Rhino says they are already working on a James Taylor Quadio.

But shouldn't a "Quadio" have at least 4 albums? I don't think JT had 4 older quads out back in the 70's. :unsure: I only know of One Man Dog and Gorilla. (I have both on vinyl.)

It's possible that Mud Slide Slim and Walking Man have some quad mix somewhere that was never released. But Sweet Baby James would probably be his biggest back then. 1969. A little pre-quad. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
It's possible that Mud Slides Slim and Walking Man have some quad mix somewhere that was never released. But Sweet Baby James would probably be his biggest back then. 1969. A little pre-quad. 🤷‍♂️

It's possible that it may have been remixed to quad a few years after the original stereo release. There is precedent for this: Black Sabbath's Paranoid was originally released in 1970, but the quad version didn't come out until 1974. Another example would be Jethro Tull's Aqualung--the stereo LP came out in 1971, but the quad wasn't issued until 1974.

You're right that One Man Dog and Gorilla were the only JT quads that appeared in the '70s. The other three titles were listed in tape catalogs, but never actually materialized. It'd be interesting to know after whether or not any mixes were actually completed.

Another group I noticed were NOT on the list that I would gladly re-purchase is the Warner Quad releases by America. The meticulously lush production of albums such as Holiday, Hearts & Homecoming really lend themselves to captivating surround mixes.

Hearts and Homecoming have already received surround reissues. Elliot Scheiner's 5.1 remix of Homecoming was released on DVD-A by Warner/Rhino in 2001, then again on SACD by Audio Fidelity in 2015. Audio Fidelity also released an SACD of Hearts--using the original quad mix--in 2016.

It's possible that it may have been remixed to quad a few years after the original stereo release. There is precedent for this: Black Sabbath's Paranoid was originally released in 1970, but the quad version didn't come out until 1974. Another example would be Jethro Tull's Aqualung--the stereo LP came out in 1971, but the quad wasn't issued until 1974.

You're right that One Man Dog and Gorilla were the only JT quads that appeared in the '70s. The other three titles were listed in tape catalogs, but never actually materialized. It'd be interesting to know after whether or not any mixes were actually completed.
Hmmm. If they had listings but never materialized, there might be a chance they do have quad masters! More of a reason to buy it if it ends up being the next Quadio.

Just read in a Facebook group that a guy who claims he knows someone at Rhino says they are already working on a James Taylor Quadio.

But shouldn't a "Quadio" have at least 4 albums? I don't think JT had 4 older quads out back in the 70's. :unsure: I only know of One Man Dog and Gorilla. (I have both on vinyl.)

It's possible that Mud Slides Slim and Walking Man have some quad mix somewhere that was never released. But Sweet Baby James would probably be his biggest back then. 1969. A little pre-quad. 🤷‍♂️

Well...QQ knows "someone" at Rhino, too. (Wonder if @Steel Woole is at liberty to confirm or deny this report?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back